Thread: 535i Stalls

My Cars
    2011 535i XDrive

535i Stalls

Ok, noob just joining your forum. (I actually posted on that 'other' forum, but not getting much help) I had a 325i and upgraded to a 2011 535i Xdrive Saphire Black with tan interior. Love this car...except... it stalls out when putting the throttle to it when I first start driving it. Seems that its only when its cold. Also, some trouble getting it to start in the morning. When i get it going, I will start going down the road and i feel a pretty substantial jolt and then i get a "Drive-train" warning on the display and no RPMs. i coast to a stop and then turn the car off and then it starts right up and off i go. It won't do it again after it gets warm. Next morning, same thing. I've put new coils and plugs in it, (except #6, i can't get to it. ) Seems not to make a difference. It doesn't drive better or worse. I can get it so it doesn't do it by being real super light on the throttle...only increasing speed ever so slightly. So, now I can almost 'make' it happen by giving it some more gas. I've read here and other posts about issues with the V8s but this is a straight 6. 3.0 twin turbo. I've also read in some posts about a stalling issue but they seemed to be during regular driving, not first thing when its cold. So, since i posted over on the other forum, i've replaced both VANOS solenoids and the Mass Airflow Sensor. The MAF seemed to help with the cold starts but not the stalling. After i replaced the Solenoids, it started right up and then noticed i could give it the juice and was a lot more responsive. I drove it to the gas station and then shut it off, fueled it up, then went to start it and couldn't get it to start. Crank and crank and crank, then finally started. Drove it home and shut it off. Now can't get it to start at all. Crankshaft Position Sensor? Bad Fuel Pump?? I have a pressure gauge, but don't see a spot that has the schrader valve. Tested with Carista reader and the ODB Fusion software on my iphone, not producing any codes. HELP!!
    Thank you in advance!

My Cars
    If there is a "drive-train malfunction" warning, then there will be codes. There's something wrong if your code reader doesn't read any.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2011 535i XDrive
    Ok, we'll give it another try, but it did not find any that first time.

My Cars
    11 550i
    I would bet that #6 is the issue. You are suppose to replace all coils at the same time, or they will eventually cause other problems. Good luck!

My Cars
    2011 535i XDrive
    When i did the reader the last time while the car was still starting, it was showing no misfire on #6, only on #1. I suspect that it was showing a misfire on #1 because when i replaced the spark plugs, #1 was not tight. I turned it out by hand. Probably getting some blow past the threads.
    UPDATE: I replaced the two Cam Shaft sensors and STILL no start. Lots of crank but no start. I put the reader on it and not showing any codes. Now i'm thinking Fuel pump??? Or the Crank shaft sensor. UHG! I wish this vehicle had the schrader valve so i could test the fuel pressure on the rail. If it has one, i don't see it. Anyone have any access to any type of diagrams that would show one??

My Cars
    2011 535i XDrive
    Got it towed to the dealer yesterday. We'll see what they come up with.

My Cars
    2011 535i XDrive
    Well, they found that it was the Integrated Supply Module which controls the valvetronics, Its a $145 part along with Diagnostics and labor cost me over $800. Are I got it back home, I looked it up and there are many posts about it and even a post on horizon it for free. I guess a couple of the solders can crack and thus the no start. Lesson learned I guess. Well with this and all the new part i've Replaced up to now, I hope i'm Good for a while.
    Last edited by saspearl; 01-26-2020 at 02:49 PM.