Thread: Do people care about pre-facelift interiors?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i

Do people care about pre-facelift interiors?

Kind of a weird question I know, but are pre-facelift interiors desirable?

I happen to have a car that has an older interior that doesn't really fit my overall vision. I'm not trying to sell it or to price it, I just want to know if a full older interior in "together but needs some love" shape is something that would be desirable or if I should just throw anything I won't use straight in the dumpster.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    You'll need to define "needs some love".
    Popular colors(black) in good condition will sell, beat up tan, grey, blue might as well go straight in the bin.
    Make a FS ad in the correct forum and provide photos, the market will speak.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    some
    You raise a good point. It will always be worth something to someone if it's a certain colour they want. Whether it would be to someone making a change to the ever popular black, or someone undoing the previous owners work and changing it back to the original colour or design. (And so the world turns and the cycle continues.)

Seats are probably better like moroza said. Some prefer the interior without the plastic wood on the doors and dash as well. The newer door panels with the plastic wood are built better but many prefer without, or just for authenticity in their older cars. The old non wood door trims break a lot and the vinyl shrinks a lot so I think the older ones are worth something,

I guess what I'm saying is yours might be better than most others out there and worth something to somebody. I like the blue. Also locally I've seen red and it blew my mind. Takes me back to the old days where interiors weren't just black, grey or beige. I've had a few cars with white or blue interiors and I like them. I also like black too - but you've got to only park in the shade so that's a big limitation.
    Last edited by fo3; 01-15-2020 at 06:20 AM.

My Cars
    E34T
    Oh, and the non-airbag dashboards, especially if not warped, are valuable.

@fo3:

My Cars
    some
    Yeah that would work well on the car in the picture, as it's side windows seem to be solid white and not also transparent.
    Notice the angle of the sun in that picture? Those windshield sun-screens tend to be not optimal when the sun is facing the rear quarter panel.
    Last edited by fo3; 01-16-2020 at 09:51 AM.

My Cars
    E34T
    Ok, a better picture and a better solution. My previous ride:

nice e12 :P
    Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel! ... oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.

88 Alpineweiss / black E30 M3 -Project.
    Brilliantrot / black US SPEC 3/90 prod e34 M30b35 535i 5spd - Modded.
    98.5 Tiag Silber /black e36 m3 - Modded.
    99.5 Estoril Blau /dove e36 m3 - Modded.
    07 Crimsonrot /black E83 X3 6spd - Stock..

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i
    So, from what I can gather from this thread it may be worth selling especially if it's got the pre-airbag dashboard but then it's tan.

I need to actually assess everything with the interior but I have a good place to start. The door cards, console, etc are dirty and the leather quality is inconsistent. They're not dirty to the point of being destroyed or even anything I'd consider worse than lived in. The inconsistency is a whole other thing though. The door card leather itself is actually in really good shape but the adhesive that holds certain leather to leather bonds isn't really holding anymore. Everything except the seats that's leather is pretty much the same. Not faded, not stretched or cracked, nothing that couldn't be fixed or cleaned fairly quickly.

The seat leather is a different story altogether. The driver's seat is a little rough, the passenger seat is worse, the rear bench is the worst of them but the back of that seat is the best condition leather for any of the seating.

Then again there are a lot of things that don't really add up on this car. So many things that don't add up. Like why there's almost no rust on an almost 30 year old 300k mile Minnesota car, or why the entire engine bay was immaculate except the engine that looks 10 years older than the rest of the car and ended up with a thrown rod.