RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E46 Preventive maintenance

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i

E46 Preventive maintenance

I am buying a 2003 325i 5 speed manual from a friend of mine, he is putting a new motor with 90k miles on it (car has 140k). While it is out of the car should I do anything to it? We are already putting new headers on. I am new to the world of BMWs and have 0 clue what I'm doing so any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Endernation101; 01-12-2020 at 10:58 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    With 140k miles on the car, sans engine, I’d see if the cooling system parts that remain in the car have been replaced. The consensus is that the E46 cooling system needs to be overhauled at 100k miles. The installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten!
    Check the body where the rear suspension system bolts the body. Early E46s has issues with the sheet metal cracking.
    The suspension is certainly due for an overhaul. Struts, tierods, lower control arms+bushings, rear struts all need to be refreshed at about 75k miles.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    Does anything need to be done with the engine? I also plan on installing coil overs ( not to slam it or give it camber but just to lower a little it) and the cracking part your talking about is the subframe correct?
    Last edited by Endernation101; 01-13-2020 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    If it needs a new engine, I'm suspecting maintenance was not a high priority for the previous owner(s). You get to play catch-up.

Every soft part in the suspension is due, as well as every ball joint (steering and suspension). The whole cooling system (which is probably what killed the engine), including little stuff like the plastic pipes along the left side of the engine under the intake. The CCV system. Do the OFH and VC gaskets while it's all out and apart, and maybe the pan gasket too, since it's a pain to do with the engine in the car. Since you've got access, I'd throw a clutch at it as well (if it's M/T). Change all fluids: brake, P/S, trans oil, diff oil.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325i
    What is the CCV OFH and VC gaskets? It is getting a new clutch aswell as probably coil overs to negate the stock suspension.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Crankcase ventilation, oil filter housing, and valve cover, respectively. All problem areas.

Dampers and springs are only part of the suspension. Every control arm has bushings and ball joints, and these are now old and worn. New coilovers with worn out control arms is not a good solution to anything. Do it all, at once, and correctly.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    if i were resurrecting this car i'd probably go with a bilstein/hr combo myself....
    and, i would definitely redo all the rest of the suspension as mentioned...bushings, ball joints, lcabs, rtabs, etc....
    i would do the diff bushings but i'd probably skip the subframe bushings unless i had reason to believe they were bad (in my experience this is rare), or if i were converting this car to full on track use with a very stiff suspension.

an e46 with a dead engine at 140k is a bit sad - must have been mistreated....

since the "new" engine is new to me - i'd assume nothing works. i'd do the ccv, ofh, and valve cover (as mentioned). new plugs, complete new cooling system (water pump, hoses, expansion tank, radiator, temp sensor, t-stat, new coolant, and including the plastic hoses that run underneath the intake manifold (this is a billion times easier to do while its out of the car and you are going to have to be there anyway when doing the ccv)...

it starts to get pricey but you could also consider new crank/cam sensors and a rebuilt VANOS.

granted, that stuff is external to the engine and can be changed once its in the car without too much annoyance - but, it's hard to know what's good and bad on a used engine.

while the engine is out, doing the oil pan gasket is super easy too.

i would use only OE or quality OEM parts from FCP Euro or a similar top notch BMW parts provider....no local auto parts stores.

that mileage is awfully close to needing new O2 sensors (pre and post cat). typically, though, i replace the pre-cat sensors and wait until the car tells me the post cat sensors are bad.

valeo has a great single mass conversion kit for the clutch that is reasonably priced.

i'd also replace the brake hoses and flush the brake fluid. if they need it, obviously, new rotors and pads all around...

e46's are fun cars, great to drive and nice on the highway. they are not high powered straight line monsters, with a correct suspension setup and a proper driver - it's amazing what they can do in the corners.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Starter. Do it.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Also consider the roads you drive on. Could overs tend to be heavily sprung. You may end up wishing for less if a prison date ride. Sport shocks will give you a lower stance without the aggressive ride that is meant for smooth tracks and roads. I helped a friend put in coilovers, then take them out when he realized the seat bottom was the only thing cushioning his ride.