Thread: Need a new muffler...

My Cars
    BMW 325ica 94

Need a new muffler...

for my 1994 325 convertible. The old one had always been loud when accelerating , but now sounds horrible even not moving making all sorts of grunting sounds. It has the original in it and only about 86k miles. These are the key points I am looking for:

1. I don't want to spend much money

2. I like it loud, as it clears away pedestrians as I am driving down the street. This is partly the reason why I left the old one in.

3. I would like it street/smog legal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    This is why God created muffler shops.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan

Need a new muffler...

EMUSA makes a decent cheep muffler.

Also this looks ok http://Manzo USA BMW 3 Series E36 St..._ak-gEb5KPZANJ

Edit: dang or even this http://DNA Motoring CBE-E36 CBEE36 S..._3l-gEbHEMKGXC
    Last edited by TheJordanWhitte; 01-12-2020 at 10:26 PM.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    BMW 325ica 94

thanks..

Thank you so much for those, I think the Mazo is cheap enough as I know you get what you pay for and I don't want to cheap out totally. I looked it up on their website and it says:

"(Note: Off-Road Use Only) NOTE: All Manzo U.S.A. Exhaust and Suspension products are deemed for "off-road use only"-- please check local laws regarding the modification of the exhaust systems by checking the vehicle code for your state. Many states are more stringent on exhaust modification laws and to pass SMOG. Please check your local laws. "

I am in California and they are a real pain in the ass with smog and all that, so I am not sure if this will mess me up.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsbmw325ica View Post

I am in California and they are a real pain in the ass with smog and all that, so I am not sure if this will mess me up.

Do not put offroad exhaust parts on your car, the smog nazis will not be impressed. Just go to the local Mom & Pop muffler shop in the 'hood by your house. They will weld up a new muffler in less than an hour. And before you ask, they are not allowed to sell used CATs in Calif.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Two things, first didn’t realize you were in California and would also agree with going to a muffler shop because the work is certified.

Second, the only reason it’s off-road use only is because they don’t wanna pay for the certification like how you have to pay to use the word organic on products in the store.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    BMW 325ica 94

You right about that

Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Do not put offroad exhaust parts on your car, the smog nazis will not be impressed. Just go to the local Mom & Pop muffler shop in the 'hood by your house. They will weld up a new muffler in less than an hour. And before you ask, they are not allowed to sell used CATs in Calif.
    Smog nazis...I like like it! Sometimes I feel that they are there just to make your life miserable. What about not letting a gazilion illegals get cars and drivers licenses. That certainly adds to the "smog". California population would have actually gone down the past few years (less cars on the road, less smog) if it was not for * immigration *...

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Smog nazis...I like like it! Sometimes I feel that they are there just to make your life miserable. What about not letting a gazilion illegals get cars and drivers licenses. That certainly adds to the "smog". California population would have actually gone down the past few years (less cars on the road, less smog) if it was not for * immigration *...

Your going all Trump on us here. You're not supposed to do that in an automotive forum, but I appreciate the passion.

My Cars
    BMW 325ica 94

yep..

Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Your going all Trump on us here. You're not supposed to do that in an automotive forum, but I appreciate the passion.
    Well I don't really like Trump. However when I vote for the primaries in my 'hood I have to go with a bag over my head.

My Cars
    X5
    If you're just replacing the muffler, it won't affect anything emissions related. As long as you don't mess with the catalytic converter, you will be fine. I have a magnaflow muffler that I got from 4wheelonline. It is loud but not obnoxiously loud.