Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS Swap Drivability

My Cars
    E38 2001 740i M-Sport

LS Swap Drivability

Hey all. Long time lurker here. I just got an e38 740i M-Sport and it’s the best car I’ve driven by far. I love the car as is but I’ll be honest I bought it with intentions of LS swapping it. Now that I have it I’m really on the fence on if I want to swap it or leave it as is. The car has 186000 miles but was well taken care of. I have a 4Runner so this car will be a summer daily. I’m just curious how different the car would feel with an LS swap. Sorry if I’m repeating a subject. I’ve looked at a lot of swaps on here and I’ve always been impressed just curious how do you like the car afterwards. Thanks again

My Cars
    LS E46
    The LS doesn’t come in anything, not millions of cars, trucks, vans, suv’s - nothing. There’s no way to know that it’s just another engine like any other and no way to know that it would drive perfectly fine like every other car on the road. Sorry.

My Cars
    E38 2001 740i M-Sport
    I figured just trying to get a feel for it. Thanks

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    It would feel faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2002 BMW 525i - 6.6L LS Turbo Swap
    Follow me on Instagram at @LantzFab
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    I’d say the reliability of the build is dependent on the ability of the builder and quality of the build. If you know what you’re doing and do it well it will be fine.

My swap is down because of an issue with the DBW pedal. Probably something unrelated to swapping but we’ll see. Otherwise it’s been pretty reliable. The only regret I have is not coughing up the money for a new transmission and not trying to make the BMW shifter work with one of the GM shaft shifted transmissions.

My advice is to address everything you can on the car and engine while you’re in the process of swapping. Don’t just throw the engine in and cross your fingers. These cars are old and probably need new suspension bushings, etc. Replace all that stuff while you have the access. On the engine, replace the lifters at least and see if it needs rings and a hone while you’re in there, if not a full overhaul. Also, choose your swap parts carefully. There’s a lot of junk out there and you may be better off making your own components. If you do all your research and proceed wisely, what you’ll end up with is a car that drives like it was new but with more power and something that you can be proud of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Yeah completely depends on the setup, the engine, the cam (if you choose one) the trans, the clutch, the tuner etc.

Too many factors to say.

I have a fairly decent sized cam in mine and I would be fine daily driving the car if I had to thanks to a good tuner. It has AC and power steering still, but the solid motor mounts and race seats make anything over 1.5 hour drive not exactly the most comfy. However it does get better highway gas mileage due to the tall 6th gear and I enjoy every bit of driving it.

Also an M60/62 engine to a stock junkyard 5.3 is going to be a fairly lateral swap if you're leaving it stock. It's going to be a lot of money for not a lot of power. Sure it has more potential for cheap, but if you goal is "driveability" and not increase the power a lot, I personally wouldn't even waste my time or money. Specially since you said you love the way the car is.
    Last edited by Bsaint; 08-12-2019 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    E38 2001 740i M-Sport
    Ok sorry I should’ve explained more. I’m looking to get about 400whp. I was gonna go L76 with a built 6l80e from Circle D. I was thinking of doing the paddle shifter mode with the e46 steering wheel since it’s a 2 stage. After driving it for a while I like how the power comes on and the car feels “quick” while still comfortable.
    My cousin is a certified BMW tech and would be doing most of the work. I plan on getting mounts and headers from Madison. The plan was to fix all wear items and anything else and drive the car with the original engine to get a feel for it. As I said it’s the nicest handling car I’ve driven, especially coming from a 97 explorer to a 11 4Runner. So I’ll probably still do that.
    I know you’re wondering why not just get a G8 and call it a day. Just looking for something to call mine as I don’t see my self selling the car. Thanks for all the advice

My Cars
    4Runner/911
    Why is Liquidity so angry?
    1988 911 - Carb'd - Twin Plug - 3.6
    1999 SL 500
    2016 4Runner TEP - Gone
    1995 M3 - LS2 - Gone
    1998 M3 - Gone
    1991 M5 - Gone
    1993 RS America - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone

My Cars
    1998 328I
    As others have stated it all depends on the build and your goals with the car

As far as an l76 and the tranny goes you would be set as far as having a great heart for your project. Keep in mind the e38 is what 18 years old? so on top of the engine tranny you will have to deal with old suspension, old lines and anythign else that hasn't been replaced at regular intervals.

For example when I put my LS in my e36 i started breaking stuff due to the power, especially more so when I added sticky tires :P

My Cars
    1999 E36 LS1 1998 TJ LS6
    Just fyi on the Circle converters. They work great. I had a Circle 3200 stall in a 67 Nova 427/4L60E LS swap and it drove like a stocker until you put the pedal down. So much fun.

My Cars
    E38 2001 740i M-Sport
    That’s what I’m looking for just something nice with some kick for the summer. I still have research to do. Thanks again everyone

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy83 View Post
    Ok sorry I should’ve explained more. I’m looking to get about 400whp. I was gonna go L76 with a built 6l80e from Circle D. I was thinking of doing the paddle shifter mode with the e46 steering wheel since it’s a 2 stage. After driving it for a while I like how the power comes on and the car feels “quick” while still comfortable.
    My cousin is a certified BMW tech and would be doing most of the work. I plan on getting mounts and headers from Madison. The plan was to fix all wear items and anything else and drive the car with the original engine to get a feel for it. As I said it’s the nicest handling car I’ve driven, especially coming from a 97 explorer to a 11 4Runner. So I’ll probably still do that.
    I know you’re wondering why not just get a G8 and call it a day. Just looking for something to call mine as I don’t see my self selling the car. Thanks for all the advice
    Very easily obtained in a L76, a decent heads cam intake setup will get you there no problem through a 4l60. 4l60's get a bad rep because of guys pushing a lot power through them and breaking them. But a properly built one will do just fine.

Hell my shop holds the stock bottom end record for c6 z06 8.9 1/4 mile and thats through a built 4l60e

https://youtu.be/-dnGum3KG5o
    Last edited by Bsaint; 08-22-2019 at 09:09 AM.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    you mean 4l60e gets a bad rep right? 80's are what everyone moves too!

My Cars
    2001 bmw 740il
    I have an e38 with a big turbo LQ9. I have replaced most of the parts on the car. Not much left on it that’s original. I’m having a valve job done on the heads right now and was sorting a few issues out, so it’s down for another week or so. I’m not sure I would daily drive my car since I live in the Midwest. I don’t think it would a good idea in the ice and snow. That being said it’s currently a 600whp car on about 7lbs of boost. Should put down 7-800 once I turn it up a little bit. One issue I haven’t spent much time on is the gauge cluster. I have no speedo and no tach. Speedo is an easy fix, but the tach and cruise control will most likely be a genuine challenge. From what little homework I have done on it. Nobody has any real information or details on how to make this work as it is different than the e36, e46 e39, etc. aside from that, it runs pretty good. I don’t really know if I would go through all that effort for 400whp in a 4200lb car. I mean, it would move pretty good, but not really fast IMO.

My Cars
    BMW 525i
    Doesn’t the E39 M5 have around 400 hp?

2002 BMW 525i - 6.6L LS Turbo Swap
    Follow me on Instagram at @LantzFab
    Link to LantzFab.com
    Link to my Facebook page
    Link to my build page

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by RulyLSX View Post
    you mean 4l60e gets a bad rep right? 80's are what everyone moves too!
    yes sorry my phone does weird things when posting lol

My Cars
    99 540i6
    I'll have 100,000 miles on mine within the next year. Considering swapping out for a Holley dominator ecu. Been having problems with X-link and LS3 throttle body on and off for a few years. Other than that, it's good.
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    100,000 miles! Think that is the most I've heard. Kudos!

My Cars
    E38 2001 740i M-Sport
    100000 wow that’s good to know. I say 400 since it’ll be the fastest car I’ve driven. I wouldn’t say I’m scared of 600 plus but I just want to take baby steps.

I’ve honestly been going back and forth with what I want to do with the car. The car has 190,000 miles on it, but was well taken care of. I have records from 04 to June of this year. The engine has some small oil leaks, but the car still runs and drives well. I’ve thought about tighten up the engine and putting a supercharger on it, but I’m not sure if you should rebuild the engine let alone the trans. And I haven’t seen to many M62 rebuilds. I’ve thought about the S62 swap and wondered how much more it would be over the LS route. And I know contrary to popular belief I don’t think a manual fits the 7, just my opinion.

So the plan was to go through the suspension, brakes, and anything else while the M62 is in there and go forward with the swap next summer. But I’ll be honest I’m thinking a LS swap e38 would be awesome. I’m just wondering if my money would be better spent just fixing up the e38 and buying something that’s faster and sporty from the beginning. I got the car this July for only $2200 so I’m willing to put some money into it just not sure which way I should go. I’m not relying on the car in anyway but I would like to have it for sometime and enjoy. Thanks again everyone

- - - Updated - - -

Also how do you post pic? I want to show you what I’m working with. Thanks

My Cars
    E38 2001 740i M-Sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    99 540i6
    I got the car this July for only $2200 so I’m willing to put some money into it just not sure which way I should go.
    Send it my way, I know what to do with it!
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    E38 2001 740i M-Sport
    Haha I said I was going to stop telling people how much I got it for

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    If you have experience doing other swaps, I would swap it. Or drive it until the chain guides give up and then swap it. There is so much information available for these. All the stock wiring diagrams are online and lots of people have documented e39 swaps, which are very similar. The LS is much more narrow than the M62, giving you plenty of room. There are not really many road blocks for a guy with a garage and little determination.

My Cars
    E38 2001 740i M-Sport
    @handofmercy what diff are you using? Also what gearing did you go with? I’d also like to hear how you like the wavetrac. Thanks man

My Cars
    2001 bmw 740il
    @handofmercy what diff are you using? Also what gearing did you go with? I’d also like to hear how you like the wavetrac. Thanks man
    I have an e39 M5 LSD. Diffsonline rebuilt it with the wavetrack helical style diff. I’m still breaking it in so I can’t beat on it yet. Feels good though. It was a little spendy but I figured it will handle all the power I can throw at it and I won’t have to worry about blowing it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast