Thread: Stapler ?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3

Stapler ?

Curious which staple gun, and which size staples they use to staple the new top?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    If they take my stapler I’m going to burn the building down.... check Vinci’s thread on top replacement.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...dster-soft-top
    Last edited by z3forlife; 01-10-2020 at 06:15 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I was about to suggest a red Swingline....

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    It’s ..it’s a orange swingline... sorry I couldn’t help myself. Back OT I would think a T-50 would work if needed at all.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    Swingline? lets hope i dont staple my finger by accident lol.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    I used a standard T-50 stapler that I had on hand with 1/2" staples. I used a tack hammer to drive the staples in the final very small fraction of an inch that the stapler didn't achieve. One set of instructions I used calls for 10 mm staples, which is a little longer than 3/8." Most important, use stainless staples.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by streetmaster56 View Post
    Curious which staple gun, and which size staples they use to staple the new top?
    I suggest picking up an inexpensive T50 air stapler, typically $35-50; I bought mine from Amazon.
    I used stainless steel 10mm staples:

T50 Air Stapler + SS Staples.jpg

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    If they take my stapler I’m going to burn the building down.... check Vinci’s thread on top replacement.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...dster-soft-top
    I don't cover stapling. My guide is for OE replacements, which are already stapled to their own tack strips.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    I don't cover stapling. My guide is for OE replacements, which are already stapled to their own tack strips.
    OE tops no longer come with tack strips; at least the one I purchased in 2017 arrived sans tack strip. I spent the $$$ on an OE top, mainly for the zip-in window, and while I'm happy with the quality and results (other than the vendor folding it up for shipping and wrinkling the window), when the top arrived I found that I also needed to order a tack strip and go through the stapling routine.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
    OE tops no longer come with tack strips; at least the one I purchased in 2017 arrived sans tack strip. I spent the $$$ on an OE top, mainly for the zip-in window, and while I'm happy with the quality and results (other than the vendor folding it up for shipping and wrinkling the window), when the top arrived I found that I also needed to order a tack strip and go through the stapling routine.
    Gotcha. News to me. At the time I wrote the guide and did my replacement, that was an all-in-one part number.

I guess that it sucks that they did that, but it's nice for people using non-OE tops in that they can buy a spare tack strip to prep their replacement as one piece before the install.