Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ls2 swap

My Cars
    6.0 Z3, E36 & F80 M3

LS2 Swap

After reading octavianv8's thread, I thought I’d post my LS2 Z3 Coupe.

The swap started as a 1999 2.8 coupe with 266,000 miles. Texas car, decent shape, no rust.

Here is the car before. The previous owner had unique taste.

List of the major items -

Swap done by Kansas City Autosport
    LS2 & T56 from a wrecked GTO with 80,000 miles
    CX-Racing engine and transmission mounts for E36
    Corvette Z06 Exhaust Manifolds
    Driveshaft
    Radiator/Fan
    MegaSquirt EFI Controller
    New Age A/C
    3:73 Limited Slip Differential
    Diff Cover
    Reinforced rear end
    E46 330i Rotors & Calipers
    BC Racing Coilovers
    18x8 Enkei Tuning Raijin, Front
    18x9.5 Enkei Tuning Raijin, Rear. Widened to 11.0”
    NITTO NT 01
    225/40-18 Front
    315/30-18 Rear
    Z3M front/rear bumpers, mirrors & fender grilles
    Never Done front splitter, Gurney flap & custom rear diffuser
    Matte Red Metallic vinyl wrap by Never Done

There is a ton more crap not listed.

Some photos and videos of the swap.

I Assume this is the first time the car has seen snow. Gold wheels are the first to go.

Engine and transmission arrive.

Out with the old

Mounts

Plenty of room for the LS2.

The front of the block sits just behind the front of the strut towers.

Enough room to stand in the engine bay, check the oil and eat a ham sandwich.

First start up. No exhaust.

Front M bumper install.

Rear M bumper and center exit exhaust.

Enkeis mounted. Rears are too narrow.

Added 1.5" to the inside of the rims.

M fender grille and coilovers installed.

Off to Never Done for wrap, Gurney flap & rear diffuser.

Decided on 3M Matte Red Metallic, matte black roof.

Wrap, front splitter.

Gurney flap & rear diffuser.

Finally home with new window tint & M mirrors.

Interior is next. Should be done in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by BP SCM3; 10-04-2017 at 05:00 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Very nice car and project! Looks like a very clean swap.

Also that X5 is certainly unique. Any details on that?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99 BMW Z3 2.3
    Looks great! I really like that you kept the amber lights...it goes good with the matte red especially at the rear.
    What are your thoughts on the the 3.73 diff with your setup?
    Also are you running the stock axles/trailing arms?

My Cars
    S50 ///M Coupe, DSM
    I love the Center Exhaust!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    very nice. what is the weight difference between M52 and LS2? The V8 engine is a little bit less in front of the strut towers than M52 right?

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Are you running the GTO exhaust manifolds? Any issues clearing steering? Any chance you could still fit cats? Have been investigating doing an E-Rod swap in a z3 coupe as a CARB legal option.
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    z3
    That last pic makes it look like it has diamond pleated seats? Pics of interior?

Looks nice overall, would be cool to see some vids of it on the track.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    6.0 Z3, E36 & F80 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by octavianv8 View Post
    Looks great! I really like that you kept the amber lights...it goes good with the matte red especially at the rear.
    What are your thoughts on the the 3.73 diff with your setup?
    Also are you running the stock axles/trailing arms?
    Thanks. The 3:73 feels perfect for the car. Stock axles and trailing arms.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy740 View Post
    I love the Center Exhaust!
    Thanks. I need to get better pictures of the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    very nice. what is the weight difference between M52 and LS2? The V8 engine is a little bit less in front of the strut towers than M52 right?
    I'm not sure of the weight on the M52, but the LS2 weighs about 440-450lbs. The LS doesn't come out in front of the towers, I'm guessing the M52 is 3-6" in front of the towers.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post
    Are you running the GTO exhaust manifolds? Any issues clearing steering? Any chance you could still fit cats? Have been investigating doing an E-Rod swap in a z3 coupe as a CARB legal option.
    Z06 manifolds. Had to build new steering shaft. Should have bought the CX-Racing headers and not mess with the steering. I think there is still room for cats. I'll try to find some underneath shots of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Very nice car and project! Looks like a very clean swap.

Also that X5 is certainly unique. Any details on that?
    They guys at Never Done Garage are building the X5. Don't have any info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    That last pic makes it look like it has diamond pleated seats? Pics of interior?

Looks nice overall, would be cool to see some vids of it on the track.
    Current interior is hideous. I'll post pictures when it is done.
    Last edited by BP SCM3; 10-09-2015 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    2004 bm 325i
    Did you have to move the hole for the shifter like vorschalg did on their Z3 m roadster ls1 swap? The LS6 and T56 are in, in my z3 coupe but we are trying to figure if we can extend the shifter linkage and have it function properly or if we need to modify the shifter hole which quickly has you running into the center console. Let me know what you ended up doing, any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Very impressive. Lots of engineering!

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Are you going to be at the car show next Sunday the 18th at 119th and metcalf ? I'm thinking of coming up and would love to see this in person. It's a all German show sponsored by the local bmw club. Free show but they're asking for people to register. Starts at 9am
    Last edited by z3forlife; 10-09-2015 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    2000 MCoupe
    Looks good. Sounds great.

If you have a minute, I'd really be interested in the work that went into getting the speedo, tach and gauges to work with the swap. How many had to interface with the engine? I suspect the gas gauge and amp meter work without mods, but I'm curious about the rest. Are you running the engine management through the dash as far as OBDII outputs and such? ABS/traction control work?
    To me personally, the mechanical part of this isn't the intimidating aspect, it's trying to get the electrical components correct and use the factory dash that is daunting.

Jay
    Last edited by MudHut; 10-10-2015 at 10:21 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Pretty awesome project. Digging everything about it. I'm impressed on how you got the front bumper and hood to line up so well.
    -Joe

My Cars
    6.0 Z3, E36 & F80 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCBE View Post
    Did you have to move the hole for the shifter like vorschalg did on their Z3 m roadster ls1 swap? The LS6 and T56 are in, in my z3 coupe but we are trying to figure if we can extend the shifter linkage and have it function properly or if we need to modify the shifter hole which quickly has you running into the center console. Let me know what you ended up doing, any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
    I don't think the shifter hole was modified, bit I'll double check. I believe the engine was moved back as far as possible to make it fit. I attached a picture so you can see the knob position.

Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    Are you going to be at the car show next Sunday the 18th at 119th and metcalf ? I'm thinking of coming up and would love to see this in person. It's a all German show sponsored by the local bmw club. Free show but they're asking for people to register. Starts at 9am
    If the interior is done by then, I'll take it to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by MudHut View Post
    Looks good. Sounds great.

If you have a minute, I'd really be interested in the work that went into getting the speedo, tach and gauges to work with the swap. How many had to interface with the engine? I suspect the gas gauge and amp meter work without mods, but I'm curious about the rest. Are you running the engine management through the dash as far as OBDII outputs and such? ABS/traction control work?
    To me personally, the mechanical part of this isn't the intimidating aspect, it's trying to get the electrical components correct and use the factory dash that is daunting.

Jay
    I don't know a lot about this part of the install. I do know that everything is controlled by the megasquirt. Still have ABS and can add traction control & launch control via megasquirt. I also remember they had trouble getting the tachometer to read correctly. They had to program the megasquirt with the speedo out of a 4 cylinder BMW for it to read correctly, would not work with a 6 cylinder BMW tach.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Once you open the hood I'm sure everyone will be distracted from any imperfections of the interior but I dig it?

My Cars
    00 Imola E/S TS M Coupe
    Awesome!!! LS everything!!!

My Cars
    2004 bm 325i
    Thanks for the information! Shifter looks spot on in the center. We'll take a look at the engine location and the extension linkage we have for the shifter and hopefully we can get ours in the same position. We are using the sanberg engine and tranny mounts not the CX racing so this might put things in slightly different locations. Thanks again

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Thanks for reminder about CX-Racing. I completely forgot about them. My cheap-o Hedman block huggers finally gave up this past weekend after 5 years. I think the shop that popped on the new set of cans for my August event let the pipes hang and stressed the collector flanges. Both sides cracked with big ass holes on Saturday. I tired to weld at the track but it was not going well and I said screw it and came home. CX is the way to go on the headers for value. Hopefully my home made engine mounts doesn't put the engine position too far off from CX-Racing's design. I just ordered the header and trans mount because I liked the mount design. Probably should have done the engine mount as well but I do not like that it has a bushing and the mount to too big for my use. We'll see what happens next week. Having to do over, with the price of these headers, and not needing to relocate the steering shaft would make the swap pretty simple mechanically.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    6.0 Z3, E36 & F80 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
    Great project! Did someone in the KC area widen the wheels?
    I have a pair of rear Roadstars that I'd like to have widened...
    http://www.ericvaughnmachine.com

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Thanks for reminder about CX-Racing. I completely forgot about them. My cheap-o Hedman block huggers finally gave up this past weekend after 5 years. I think the shop that popped on the new set of cans for my August event let the pipes hang and stressed the collector flanges. Both sides cracked with big ass holes on Saturday. I tired to weld at the track but it was not going well and I said screw it and came home. CX is the way to go on the headers for value. Hopefully my home made engine mounts doesn't put the engine position too far off from CX-Racing's design. I just ordered the header and trans mount because I liked the mount design. Probably should have done the engine mount as well but I do not like that it has a bushing and the mount to too big for my use. We'll see what happens next week. Having to do over, with the price of these headers, and not needing to relocate the steering shaft would make the swap pretty simple mechanically.

This had always been one of my concerns, one of those do I really want to get into this items... interesting see there's a alternative - thanks for the comment.

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    ...so where did you mount your rear plate? That's the dilemma I'm having, as I was going to do the exact same thing you've done...with the M rear bumper and center exhaust.

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    Z3 2002 3.0 Roadster
    Maybe I missed it, but what about electronics/computer/obd2. what was needed----do you still have full function of all oem controls? what had to be modified/changed for the electrical/electronic systems?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    You keep the OEM computer to run all the street stuff and add a standalone for engine management. Usually a OEM chevy box. Then you have to figure out how to drive the tach and other engine gauges. Pretty basic, just takes some research and patience. The whole project is about enduring the process. If you have a stick with it frame of mind, all of a sudden you realize you are closer to completion than you realize. And when the day comes to drive something like this, it is a very rewarding feeling.
    Last edited by PbFut; 10-16-2015 at 03:19 PM.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    6.0 Z3, E36 & F80 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by fire2 View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but what about electronics/computer/obd2. what was needed----do you still have full function of all oem controls? what had to be modified/changed for the electrical/electronic systems?
    Everything works just like it did from the factory except for the traction control. There is no BMW ecu in the car, everything is now controlled by the Megasquirt. http://megasquirt.info Traction and launch control can be added to the Megasquirt.

Quote Originally Posted by danomite View Post
    ...so where did you mount your rear plate? That's the dilemma I'm having, as I was going to do the exact same thing you've done...with the M rear bumper and center exhaust.
    I'll post pictures after the interior is done, but the plate is in the M location with a modified license plate frame.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    So many people start and give up on ls on conversions using a 944. I have seen a few ls conversions that have worked. I like what you did. Would love to know how much the project set you back? I am about 2.5 hours north of kc .
    Think global, drink local, drive a convertible

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast