Thread: Video: BMW E32 Windshield Replacement

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)

Video: BMW E32 Windshield Replacement

The video owner has disabled embedding. Use this link instead.
    Last edited by Cactuar; 01-09-2020 at 07:49 PM.

90,700 miles 1992 BMW 735iL Azure Blue Metallic with Silver Grey leather interior ‣My car ‣My YouTube channel

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    No thanks
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactuar View Post

The video owner has disabled embedding. Use this link instead.
    Thanks for the video. It looks like they are re-installing the same windshield, as the mirror mount is already in place. I suspect a new windshield does not have an exact area marked for where to mount the mirror (I bet some installers will place it too low, or off-center, messy gluing etc.). Interesting how much painting is shown, and various chemicals. Plan on replacing my windshield soon. I wonder if the dealer or body shops have tools like in the video.

My Cars
    09/87 E32 750iL
    While it's plausible that they reinstalled the same windshield, he said that replacement windshields come with preinstalled rear view mirror mounts. The moulding clips are also preinstalled.

It's cool how they remove the trunk lid. I had no idea.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    I replaced my E32 windshield with a new one from BMW. It came with a mirror mount button already attached and trim clips pre-installed around the perimeter of the glass. Wish I knew that ahead of time because I also ordered new clips thinking I would have to install my own haha.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Trunk lid removal I posted back in 2006, copy from the brochure, trunk to pick-up conversion within minutes http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/170639/
    Doors:
    Remove 6mm door hinge bolts, and now you can remove the door like a kitchen cabinet door. No need to remove the adjuster screws. Watch the cable connections.

Trunk lid:
    Unplug the light, push up on the triggers to drop the hinges onto the safety catches and then pull down on the triggers to release the safeties. Hinges and shocks come out as a unit with the lid.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-14-2020 at 09:13 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by kce1900 View Post
    While it's plausible that they reinstalled the same windshield, he said that replacement windshields come with preinstalled rear view mirror mounts. The moulding clips are also preinstalled.

It's cool how they remove the trunk lid. I had no idea.
    Thanks for the translation. I hope the windshield still comes with a pre-installed rear view mirror mount. Otherwise there is room for error - much like when a body shop doesn't know how high/low left/right to put the model-badge on the trunk-lid.
    Last edited by E28E34; 12-14-2020 at 09:30 PM.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Trunk lid removal I posted back in 2006, copy from the brochure, trunk to pick-up conversion within minutes http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/170639/
    Doors:
    Remove 6mm door hinge bolts, and now you can remove the door like a kitchen cabinet door. No need to remove the adjuster screws. Watch the cable connections.

Trunk lid:
    Unplug the light, push up on the triggers to drop the hinges onto the safety catches and then pull down on the triggers to release the safeties. Hinges and shocks come out as a unit with the lid.
    shogun - I remember when you posted the trunk removal brochure instructions in another thread, I was so amazed the trunk lid has quick release latches! I previously had no idea about that feature on the E32, and went and tried it on my car shortly after haha. Some of the things designed into these cars are really cool.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    I replaced my E32 windshield with a new one from BMW. It came with a mirror mount button already attached and trim clips pre-installed around the perimeter of the glass. Wish I knew that ahead of time because I also ordered new clips thinking I would have to install my own haha.
    Oh good. Thanks. Was having OCD anxiety.

My Cars
    09/87 E32 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by E28E34 View Post
    ... much like when a body shop doesn't know how high/low left/right to put the model-badge on the trunk-lid.
    Do we know any cars where that's the case? (This is a running joke between me and E28E34. When we first met on the very first car show I attended with my E32 (Saratoga Springs in 2015), one of the first things he pointed out to me was that my model badge isn't in the right spot.)

Oh good. Thanks. Was having OCD anxiety.
    There's still room for that. Maybe the E34 windscreens don't have preinstalled mirror mounts...
    Last edited by kce1900; 12-15-2020 at 01:11 AM.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by kce1900 View Post
    Do we know any cars where that's the case? (This is a running joke between me and E28E34. When we first met on the very first car show I attended with my E32 (Saratoga Springs in 2015), one of the first things he pointed out to me was that my model badge isn't in the right spot.)

There's still room for that. Maybe the E34 windscreens don't have preinstalled mirror mounts...
    Ha! Indeed. So kind of me (must be the German side of me). (I did compliment the car 1st however. Applauded you on the wheels too.) Can spot an improper mounted model-badge on these cars in a heart-beat. I know of someone with a Henna Red 533i on the east coast that wanted his badge in exactly the right spot - measured and taped prior to install (BMW specs). Good guy!

I know. I will measure and photograph the current location of the mirror prior to the work as evidence.
    Last edited by E28E34; 12-15-2020 at 02:33 AM.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    Unlike the E32, the E34 doesn't come with the mount pre-attached to the glass - as far as I know. So it's open to error for where to mount the mirror exactly.

My car is at the dealer and will have the new windshield installed very soon. For some reason the mirror was installed by the factory or some person later, off-center.

I don't know if this was intentional, or human error. Have proof of a `94 525iT in the brochure with it off-center, like my car. Most photos of these cars (E32/E34) are not shot from the front dead center - so it's hard to judge 100% if they were all installed off-center by 1/2" on purpose, or it was the assembly person who climbed in and stuck it where he felt was good-enough.

Thinking of having it installed dead center as earlier and later BMWs (pre-E32 and post E36) all were in the center due to the arm from the roof and sensor module/s.

See my recent post with photos and more details: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-on-Windshield

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Unlike the E32, the E34 doesn't come with the mount pre-attached to the glass - as far as I know. So it's open to error for where to mount the mirror exactly.

My car is at the dealer and will have the new windshield installed very soon. For some reason the mirror was installed by the factory or some person later, off-center.

I don't know if this was intentional, or human error. Have proof of a `94 525iT in the brochure with it off-center, like my car. Most photos of these cars (E32/E34) are not shot from the front dead center - so it's hard to judge 100% if they were all installed off-center by 1/2" on purpose, or it was the assembly person who climbed in and stuck it where he felt was good-enough.

Thinking of having it installed dead center as earlier and later BMWs (pre-E32 and post E36) all were in the center due to the arm from the roof and sensor module/s.

See my recent post with photos and more details: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-on-Windshield
    Hmm, maybe they're supposed to be slightly off-center for the e34? I just measured on my E32 and it's mounted in the center left to right.