Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 525 - 540?

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy

525 - 540?

I might be parting out a 540i soon. Wondering if I should convert the Imola Wagon to a 540? Worth it - yay? nay?

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    I might be parting out a 540i soon. Wondering if I should convert the Imola Wagon to a 540? Worth it - yay? nay?
    Why not?

It’s a heck of a job but if you have the time, space, patience and most importantly the knowledge, then why not?

Personally I think it will be cool. Especially if you can get a manual box for if and prepare it for a blower of some sort (Turbo or SC)

Deepan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Ummmm... S62?

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserid View Post
    Why not?

It’s a heck of a job but if you have the time, space, patience and most importantly the knowledge, then why not?

Personally I think it will be cool. Especially if you can get a manual box for if and prepare it for a blower of some sort (Turbo or SC)

Deepan

For day to day driving, I'd keep it Auto, but for sure future S/C and things like paddles, tranny tune, 3.15 LSD, etc. Shouldn't be way too tough as far as mechanical stuff. Take out complete drivetrain including front sub frame.

Issue I wonder about are things like steering box, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Ummmm... S62?
    Meh.... lots of those out there now. With M62TU, no need to cut up the rear section for dual outlet exhaust.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Ummmm... S62?
    Straight 6 to V8 is a large undertaking. There are a few guides but it’s A LOT of work

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Ummmm... S62?
    How you been btw? HNY 2020!

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    For day to day driving, I'd keep it Auto, but for sure future S/C and things like paddles, tranny tune, 3.15 LSD, etc. Shouldn't be way too tough as far as mechanical stuff. Take out complete drivetrain including front sub frame.

Issue I wonder about are things like steering box, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh.... lots of those out there now. With M62TU, no need to cut up the rear section for dual outlet exhaust.
    This.

Look for a 3:62 diff

@AquilaBMW I have a 5HP30 box from my M62B44 (non-TU) available for sale in a week or two if you’re interested. Not too sure on shipping across the pond but we can try and work something out

Regards
    Deepan

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Straight 6 to V8 is a large undertaking. There are a few guides but it’s A LOT of work

Would it be any more involved than an S62 Swap? The hard parts should pretty much bolt up. Big difference is front sub frame from I6 - V8. I'd also replace the front radiator mount and such and save time fiddling with the I6 cooling stuff, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

Look for a 3:62 diff

@AquilaBMW I have a 5HP30 box from my M62B44 (non-TU) available for sale in a week or two if you’re interested. Not too sure on shipping across the pond but we can try and work something out

Regards
    Deepan

Cheers for the offer mate, but no need of a 5HP30 box. I'd have a complete drivetrain - M62TUB44 plus the 5HP24 still attached to it.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Would it be any more involved than an S62 Swap? The hard parts should pretty much bolt up. Big difference is front sub frame from I6 - V8. I'd also replace the front radiator mount and such and save time fiddling with the I6 cooling stuff, etc.
    Lots of electrics to modify. I’m doing a 540iA to S62 swap now and the electrics are taking longer than the mechanical stuff for sure. At least a months solid work there if you know what you’re doing.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers for the offer mate, but no need of a 5HP30 box. I'd have a complete drivetrain - M62TUB44 plus the 5HP24 still attached to it.
    Fair dues. Mine was a non-vanos. Could be persuaded to sell the lot complete for the right price though as I have an E30 to rebuild now

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Lots of electrics to modify. I’m doing a 540iA to S62 swap now and the electrics are taking longer than the mechanical stuff for sure. At least a months solid work there if you know what you’re doing.

Yeah - Know a few guys doing the S62 swap. Lot more involved. You also gotta do pedals, clutch slave, etc. I figured with the I6 - V8 swap, since both as Auto, there is slightly less electrics to modify. Swap out the DME, AGM and such along with the donors EWS, Ignition and Key. Might even swap out the driver's side door barrel so car only needs the one key.

Then get the LCM and GM programmed to the new ECU and such and she should theoretically fire up thinking she's a V8 straight outta Dingolfing.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair dues. Mine was a non-vanos. Could be persuaded to sell the lot complete for the right price though as I have an E30 to rebuild now

Ahhh.... this is a TU, and both cars are 2003 making them emissions legal and all that over here. Shipping from the UK would cost an arm and leg, and possibly a first born child too!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    How you been btw? HNY 2020!
    Happy NY to you as well my friend ! I have been good! I'd love to see you swap in the m62tu. It would make the wagon more enjoyable as a daily IMO! Here is some motivation...

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Yeah - Know a few guys doing the S62 swap. Lot more involved. You also gotta do pedals, clutch slave, etc. I figured with the I6 - V8 swap, since both as Auto, there is slightly less electrics to modify. Swap out the DME, AGM and such along with the donors EWS, Ignition and Key. Might even swap out the driver's side door barrel so car only needs the one key.

Then get the LCM and GM programmed to the new ECU and such and she should theoretically fire up thinking she's a V8 straight outta Dingolfing.
    Do an EWS delete while you’re there. Makes sense and saves you a bit of hassle with less electrics to worry about. The other modules can be virginised and coded to the receptive VIN. Then also you won’t need to swap locks and stuff.

Still bits to relocate in the bay too. As well as servotronic steering, the gearbox and power-steering coolers etc (is go aftermarket with those - mocal or such like.

Personal preference would be twin chargers instead of SC but that’s only if funds allow

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Do an EWS delete while you’re there. Makes sense and saves you a bit of hassle with less electrics to worry about. The other modules can be virginised and coded to the receptive VIN. Then also you won’t need to swap locks and stuff.

Still bits to relocate in the bay too. As well as servotronic steering, the gearbox and power-steering coolers etc (is go aftermarket with those - mocal or such like.

Personal preference would be twin chargers instead of SC but that’s only if funds allow

Good idea on virgnizing the modules. Still need M62TU DME and the AGM. The Steering Box is one of the things I wonder about. As for the transmission cooler and such, I'd just swap out that whole front end from the 540 to the 525. Can pull the whole assembly out together.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    You can cut open the keys and swap the boards so you can use the original key that goes to the cars ignition and door cut...

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    You can cut open the keys and swap the boards so you can use the original key that goes to the cars ignition and door cut...
    Shouldn't need to do all that with an EWS delete right?

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    No but how "easy" is an EWS delete on the Me7.2?

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    That’s the part I’m still trying to figure out in the 540iA.

Technically if the donor engine has it already, it shouldn’t matter, but for completeness I’d prefer to do it. You can send it away to a company to do it, but I’m not sure who over that way I’m afraid

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I'd refer that to Paul Marting! LOL! :-) I ain't that smart man!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I'd refer that to Paul Marting! LOL! :-) I ain't that smart man!
    Im not sure even he has the knowledge to do an Me7.2 EWS delete. Maybe?

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Im not sure even he has the knowledge to do an Me7.2 EWS delete. Maybe?
    I believe he does - I think he and I discussed it before. I'll ask him if it comes to that. I am also thinking I'd put an M5 cluster in the car so I'd need his assistance anyway.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    I believe he does - I think he and I discussed it before. I'll ask him if it comes to that. I am also thinking I'd put an M5 cluster in the car so I'd need his assistance anyway.
    If he can, and can do it remotely, please do drop me a DM. It would be appreciated as I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to do it with bmw flash or INPA.

Doing the S62 was a cinch but the M62 is a different kettle of fish

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Keep me posted please! I'd love to know... i went with a 4.6is Cluster in my e38 and it was a DIY...
    Last edited by purplecty; 01-08-2020 at 01:15 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Keep me posted please! I'd love to know... i went with a 4.6is Cluster in my e38 and it was a DIY...
    Was it plug and play? Were you able to get the display to reflect Auto and such? How about the oil temp gauge? Also, things like the warm up lights...
    Last edited by AquilaBMW; 01-08-2020 at 01:11 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Yeah! I programmed it to my cars VIN and ZCS and then flashed my DME using Terraphantm's modified files that enable the tach lights and oil temp. Since then I have had another Me7.2 wizard delete the MAP cooling sensor for my 88c mechanical tstat which curves the aux fan activation a bit more and an SAP delete too...

Terra has modified some 540 files for the same m5 cluster retrofit as well...
    Last edited by purplecty; 01-08-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast