Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restricting Power Steering?

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Quick update, got my under drive pulley set and threw them on. Noticed no difference in steering feel, so it would seem under driving the power steering pump with available under drive pulleys doesn't have a significant affect on PS. This has been noted by others, just wanted to confirm it myself, back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    For E46M3 but maybe an idea as to the number of shims and a lead on who to search for to get more info - Volke. /http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?p=1067975682

But read this:
    https://www.turnone-steering.com/blo...him-kit-theory
    Hmm interesting. I have been scratching my head a bit on how many shims, but after reading that turnone article you posted, it makes me feel like shimming isn't the way to go, and restricting flow like we were originally brainstorming is the better way. It looks like they sell restrictors that go in the high pressure line of the PS pump, similar to what I was thinking earlier. Might have to do some magic with different fittings/adapters to get one to fit, but I could see a little restrictor like this working. I'm going to email them and see if I can get some more information from them.

Thanks.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Resurrecting this old thread with some pertinent information that I found in a binder that came with my car:

The purpose of the restrictor valve in the high pressure line is not to change the steering feel but to dampen noise from the PS system.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    That is the return line. I think the restrictor there just helps reduce foaming.

To change PS feel, you would have to change the pressure or the rack internals. Maybe ScotchH knows or has ideas from racing these cars.

My Cars
    Alpine white 1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    I recently did the Z3 rack conversion and was extremely pleased that the steering got lighter and a whole lot smoother. It's now very similar to the JCW Mini I had, though not quite as fast.

A heavier feel could probably be accomplished with some more caster in the suspension.
    How fast is it compared to stock M3?

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Sorry I haven't been able to test a way to restrict the PS yet :/ Crazy times, hope everyone is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by cbredesen View Post
    How fast is it compared to stock M3?
    It's noticeably faster for the first week. Turn in at the track is a bit better/more aggressive. Now I don't notice a difference at all. I think it's worth doing if your current rack needs replacing. I just wish it wasn't so light...
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12