Thread: ISO M42, M44, M50 or M52 block for mockup use. can have some damage. details inside

My Cars
    318ti

ISO M42, M44, M50 or M52 block for mockup use. can have some damage. details inside

All, I'm in the process of engine swapping a 318ti to a non-bmw engine. I need to mock up an M42, M44, M50 or M52 motor in the chassis to mark the crank centerline before making the mounts for the engine I'm swapping in. I just need a block. It doesn't need to have a head, oil pan/pump, pistons or crank. I'm willing to buy a full short block if need be, but I'd prefer just the block to keep shipping costs down. Would prefer to buy an engine that has the mounts on it already. All engine mount mounting holes/bosses should be ok as should the mounting points for the gearbox. OK to have damaged cylinder walls, bearing journals, and even a hole in the block if the engine mount locations and gearbox mounting locations are unaffected. You should be OK with shipping to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I think if it's just a block, it can probably be sent via UPS to keep costs down.

Let me know what you've got!

~Russ

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I have one I could sell. I’m in Arkansas so hopefully shipping wouldn’t be crazy. Just wondering though, nothing local?

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by lbennyboobool View Post
    I have one I could sell. I’m in Arkansas so hopefully shipping wouldn’t be crazy. Just wondering though, nothing local?
    If you just have the bottom end with mounts but no crank, pistons, rods or oil pump, I don't think shipping will be insane. In fact, if you want, you can send dimensions and a weight, and I can just see about arranging for the shipping label on my end so all you have to do is hand it off to UPS.

I'm trying to source something locally in parallel, but I don't have my hopes up. I'm sure if I wanted to go tear a motor out of a car at pull-a-part, I could find something, but I've just got limited time I'm able to put into this project and a ton to do on it to get it ready for the track, so I'm hoping I can find a mostly stripped bottom end that's ready to use to make my life a bit easier. Basically, I just need to locate the block in my chassis to mark the crank centerline with a fixture so I can match that when the new engine goes in before we weld up the engine mounts.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hellrotRUSS View Post
    If you just have the bottom end with mounts but no crank, pistons, rods or oil pump, I don't think shipping will be insane. In fact, if you want, you can send dimensions and a weight, and I can just see about arranging for the shipping label on my end so all you have to do is hand it off to UPS.

I'm trying to source something locally in parallel, but I don't have my hopes up. I'm sure if I wanted to go tear a motor out of a car at pull-a-part, I could find something, but I've just got limited time I'm able to put into this project and a ton to do on it to get it ready for the track, so I'm hoping I can find a mostly stripped bottom end that's ready to use to make my life a bit easier. Basically, I just need to locate the block in my chassis to mark the crank centerline with a fixture so I can match that when the new engine goes in before we weld up the engine mounts.
    I do have one already torn down. I'm not sure if you can message with your low post count, but you can text me if you'd like and I can get you the dimensions and weight tonight. My phone number is 479-715-1000