Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Need advice on what to do with the E46 central locking system.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan

Need advice on what to do with the E46 central locking system.

I'm locked out of my e46 for the second time and now I'm contemplating figuring out how to remove the central locking system altogether and do an aftermarket system with remote start and the whole fun deal there. As much as I like being pissed off about wiring simple stuff like motorcycles and getting confused at how an idiot like myself can reverse the connections to a starter button and somehow reverse the connections on ignition coils, I think I'll leave the wiring for this little bit of fun to the professionals.

That said, is it possible to get rid of the old school locking system entirely or would the aftermarket system still utilize the original system? As much as I love wiring, I would like to actually get this car running at some point and me doing this might end up never getting it going.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    My question is how did you lock yourself out of the car?
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 01-09-2020 at 07:28 AM.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    The battery died, the lock cylinders don't work, made the mistake of believing the battery wouldn't die in a week and locked the car the last time I worked on it.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Unfortunately the locking system is what it is. It’s a great idea but bmw decided that the drivers door lock didn’t need to be a “robust” part. It tends to break with daily use. Can you open the trunk with the mechanical lock or has the trunk’s lock been deleted? You could get the car on a lift and put a jumper on the main power post on the starter. Then use the engine as the ground.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Unfortunately the locking system is what it is. It’s a great idea but bmw decided that the drivers door lock didn’t need to be a “robust” part. It tends to break with daily use. Can you open the trunk with the mechanical lock or has the trunk’s lock been deleted? You could get the car on a lift and put a jumper on the main power post on the starter. Then use the engine as the ground.

I'm going to be rebuilding it on my next pay check. Are the aftermarket parts higher quality and designed for better/longer term use?

Side question, do you know where the central locking/security system is located and where I can find a diagram for it? I plan on secondarily powering the security system using an ultra light motorcycle battery.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

One way would be to replace the old OEM central locking motors with new OEM ones. Aftermarket ones won't be as robust/strong/specified in order to be significantly cheaper than OEM ones. Another possibility is to check the various alarm unit manufacturers/brands as they may have a better engineered central locking motor kit that can be used in conjunction with one of their alarm systems. I believe they can be used standalone as well, but double check on that.

I'm in a similar position in that I do want an alarm installed and want it to lock/unlock from a fob. I'm also thinking to remove the EWS system off my car too and have a tracker unit fitted along with 1 visual physical deterrent - steering wheel lock.

You'll perhaps find more ideas and those who've done similar things in the E46 subsection itself rather than here which is more audio related electronics discussion.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Cheers, Dennis!
    Hey Dennis, I'm also a Dennis. Nice to see another Dennis floating around the forums.

In any respect, thanks for the info. I think what I'm going to do is start with a bypass of the EWS using a universal bypass module and work from there. I need to decide if I'm going with a Viper, Avital, or Compustart system then find a shop to wire it in so I can be mad at someone if anything gets messed up instead of just pissed at myself for ruining my electrical. Sometimes it's just easier to hedge your bets lol. I've had good experiences with Avital in the past except I wasn't able to get a replacement fob after I lost my original due to discontinuation of the product.

Again, thanks for the help again. Peace, fellow Dennis.