Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your E38 today? *retired for new year

My Cars
    BMW E38 / 730 / M57
    You are right they fit our cars well. Greetings 20171202_120520.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiotrWawaPoland; 10-24-2020 at 03:00 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Removed the MK3 navi and Dietz multimedia interface from my E53 x5. Anyone interested, PM me...
    Last edited by purplecty; 10-24-2020 at 03:49 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    What made you go back to the original sport springs? Also how does it ride now? I ask because I replaced all my shocks with Sachs on stock springs and its terrible. Its better than the old worn shocks but not like I expected. I should have bought the Bilsteins you have. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
    Just keeping it reliable and looking decent.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    Subzero32 What tool did you use to remove/replace the ball joint and bushings. My back end is a little mushy...on the car...and I think it needs this too
    I used a bavauto press tool to remove/replace the ball joint. The bushings I took the entire swing arm to a shop, I tried to build a press tool but just could not do it. You can borrow my press tool for the ball joint if you pay for shipping to you and back to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zener View Post
    New electric fan...

Send me the link to which fan you bought, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by archieafroz View Post
    Replaced lowering springs with Original Sport Springs for both Front and Back
    Attachment 677339

Attachment 677340

Attachment 677341

Attachment 677342

What made you go back to the original sport springs? Also how does it ride now? I ask because I replaced all my shocks with Sachs on stock springs and its terrible. Its better than the old worn shocks but not like I expected. I should have bought the Bilsteins you have. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero32 View Post
    I was researching about the springs since I'm going to do a complete suspension overhaul this weekend with new OEM parts (Sach was a supplier for BMW) I ordered. From what I gathered some bilstein springs raise the height (not sure which one, I can't find the thread) when used with the OEM struts if you're looking for a lower ride height. I'm just going for the most original feeling for mine so I'll be using my original springs.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by GZilla View Post
    I was researching about the springs since I'm going to do a complete suspension overhaul this weekend with new OEM parts (Sach was a supplier for BMW) I ordered. From what I gathered some bilstein springs raise the height (not sure which one, I can't find the thread) when used with the OEM struts if you're looking for a lower ride height. I'm just going for the most original feeling for mine so I'll be using my original springs.
    I just finished up a complete suspension overhaul replacing every single part with Lemforder and a few TRW. I really was expecting a factory ride from my Sach shocks but its not even close. It was alot of work to change them out so I'll most likely live with it for a while until I decide what to do. How is the ride on the Bilstein B6? very firm or just right?

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i
    I used a bavauto press tool to remove/replace the ball joint. The bushings I took the entire swing arm to a shop, I tried to build a press tool but just could not do it. You can borrow my press tool for the ball joint if you pay for shipping to you and back to me.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The ride was too harsh for me and also my tires are 6 years old. The whole car rattled when I went over uneven roads. This car is supposed to just ride like a Luxury car and that wasn't happening. I like the way it rides now with the current configuration. I also think that it would ride much better with new tires. Did you go with sport sachs or regular? That would make a difference.

Archie
    2001 740i M-Sport Shorty // 2012 Audi A6 // 2007 BMW X5 4.8i // 2005 Honda Civic Si

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    I just finished up a complete suspension overhaul replacing every single part with Lemforder and a few TRW. I really was expecting a factory ride from my Sach shocks but its not even close. It was alot of work to change them out so I'll most likely live with it for a while until I decide what to do. How is the ride on the Bilstein B6? very firm or just right?
    I'm not entirely sure. Yep, exactly what I am going to be doing. I'm going to be using lemforder and a few TRW parts as well. How does it feel? Sofa-like or really stiff? I bought the regular sachs and not the sport sachs. I think the sport sachs are the ones that cause issues. I had a member from these forums come over to my house to buy some parts and he had Bilsteins (I forgot which version he had) and told me the ride is pretty stiff. He let me push down on his car and it didn't even budge. Did you get an alignment done?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    I'm not entirely sure. Yep, exactly what I am going to be doing. I'm going to be using lemforder and a few TRW parts as well. How does it feel? Sofa-like or really stiff? I bought the regular sachs and not the sport sachs. I think the sport sachs are the ones that cause issues. I had a member from these forums come over to my house to buy some parts and he had Bilsteins (I forgot which version he had) and told me the ride is pretty stiff. He let me push down on his car and it didn't even budge. Did you get an alignment done?
    I did buy the regular Sachs , honestly I think they were sitting on FCPeuros shelf for way to long and might have lost some of the damping ability somehow. I did get an alignment. Do your Bilstein shocks feel stiff?

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by archieafroz View Post
    The ride was too harsh for me and also my tires are 6 years old. The whole car rattled when I went over uneven roads. This car is supposed to just ride like a Luxury car and that wasn't happening. I like the way it rides now with the current configuration. I also think that it would ride much better with new tires. Did you go with sport sachs or regular? That would make a difference.

Archie
    I also did a suspension overhaul on my 98’ 740iL with around 98k miles at the time, this was back in June. I did the 20 piece Lemforder control arm kit and replaced the shocks and struts with Bilstein B4’s and Vogtland sport springs.

I’m very happy with the ride. It rides a little bit stiffer but its not rough. It doesn’t feel like a boat going around corners, it handles great now. I’m also on 19” wheels. The car felt very floaty and sloppy going around corners before the suspension overhaul. If i throw the factory 16” wheels back on it would probably float over bumps.

I had B6’s many years ago on my 95’ 740i and that had a very firm ride. The B4’s with factory springs should ride very similar to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    I think you misread it, I don’t have bilsteins. I’m riding on all original 20 year old suspension parts. One of the members from here who came to my house has bilsteins. He told me he likes them but said the ride is hard if you have a wife who is trying to put on make up or drink coffee. My dad has Sachs shocks installed in his E39 years ago and it felt like how the car felt new. Reading your initial post made me worried since we seemed to have the same exact parts. Perhaps yours might have been sitting for a long time. I’ll have to wait and see once I get everything installed and aligned hopefully this weekend.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    I think you misread it, I don’t have bilsteins. I’m riding on all original 20 year old suspension parts. One of the members from here who came to my house has bilsteins. He told me he likes them but said the ride is hard if you have a wife who is trying to put on make up or drink coffee. My dad has Sachs shocks installed in his E39 years ago and it felt like how the car felt new. Reading your initial post made me worried since we seemed to have the same exact parts. Perhaps yours might have been sitting for a long time. I’ll have to wait and see once I get everything installed and aligned hopefully this weekend.
    My bad I think I did misunderstand you. I do think my shocks were sitting a long time and I was expecting it to ride like new which it does not.

My Cars
    See my sig
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_i...4548380780+New

It's E39 fan from ebay. Maxspeedingrods brand.
    Current rides: E65 730dA '04, F10 520dA '11, E34 520iA '91

Old rides: E46 316Ti, E53 X5, E38 728iA, E39 528iA, E46 318i Touring, E38 730dA, E36 316i, E36 328iA Cabrio, E38 728i, E38 750i, E36/3 320i, E36 318i, E39 530dA Touring, E38 740i, E39 528iA, E34 525iA, E32 750iL, E32 730iL, E34/2 525TDS,
    E34 525i, E28 518i, E34 535i, E34/2 525iA, E30/5 325i, E34 535i, E28 520i https://www.instagram.com/zener__/

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    My bad I think I did misunderstand you. I do think my shocks were sitting a long time and I was expecting it to ride like new which it does not.
    No worries man. I will be doing the suspension this weekend and will let you know how it feels. By any chance, did you use sport springs on the Sachs regular? I heard that can cause issues from some older threads I read.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    No worries man. I will be doing the suspension this weekend and will let you know how it feels. By any chance, did you use sport springs on the Sachs regular? I heard that can cause issues from some older threads I read.
    Good luck on the suspension, it takes longer than you think it will. I used non sport springs on my Sachs regular. PM me if you run into any problems with the suspension, I'm sure I've experienced most the frustration. I think the hardest part was the rear swing arm, getting it all back together was a pain.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 725tds e38
    Cleaned the trunk today, looks good unfortunately the smell isnt as fresh looking...after all these years of dust and other debris.
    But will look into that too very soon.
    20201031_125236.jpg

BMW 725 tds e38 2.5l '97

My Cars
    2000 E38 740i Sport
    Diluted laundry fabric softener might help with a bad smell.......

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    So I've finally got my E38 back on the road after almost 2 years sitting. Did some transmission work (had to replace the silly little plastic selector valve in it that seizes on the earlier 5hp18's and such) and got a good lot of fluid in it flushed out with fresh stuff. I was going to be doing my rear shocks too but I'm still trying to work out if I'll be able to put my SLS springs on standard shocks while I wait for some kind of deal to pop up on some standard springs.

Thing is, I had a real nasty hydraulic fluid leak on my rear left strut. The whole thing was coated in it, and the control arms below were 100% doused in the stuff and caked in dirt that had bound to it, plus there was even a little puddle on the ground where it had been pouring (the car sat for basically 2 years in a covered carport). After I had it up off the ground doing the transmission (on ramps and stands) I completely cleaned off all the old crud and fluid so I could pinpoint the leak. Thing is, I've put it back down and been driving it for days now, and not a single drop has leaked from that strut... huh? I'm not familiar with the internal structure of these SLS struts, but is there ANY way sitting for a long time could result in a leak that resuming normal use could seal? Like something dried and now it's 'wet' again and hey presto, sealed? Because I've done some spirited driving, taken plenty of roundabouts, gone fast, slow, you name it. Not a drop...

Just bizarre.

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    Did Isolation Logs on Marina to pin down what's causing her Transmission Failsafe maladies. Until now, the EML was reporting 00/00 Errors. On a whim, I unplugged the ABS/DSC unit and ran another log. The ABS unit was covering for the EML acting up, which is causing Failsafe...

Exposed like a Politician's Grindr hookup in an airport bathroom
    2001 740I M62TUB44: Iris, My daily
    1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4: Onyx, the 315k mile tow rig

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Good luck on the suspension, it takes longer than you think it will. I used non sport springs on my Sachs regular. PM me if you run into any problems with the suspension, I'm sure I've experienced most the frustration. I think the hardest part was the rear swing arm, getting it all back together was a pain.
    You aren't kidding. The right side arm was a pain in the ass to remove because it was never changed in its 21 years. Everything was shot. What took the longest in your opinion? I will have a shop compress the springs for me because I don't have that much time nor do I want to risk my life compressing them. The cost of compressors and the labor is almost the same in my area.

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    I sold my 740 yesterday. I met the guy for the second time bringing both cars. He looked over the 740 that I have done almost everything too and the 750 that is new to me. I was sad to see it go as I had done so much work and it was a great car to me. As I was waiting and looking at both cars I reflected on the past three years.

I was riding a BMW R1200CLC when I was hit by a metro bus. I road 12,000 miles/year and had just pimped out the motorcycle for another great year of riding. I lived but broke my right pelvis and left foot. After putting my pelvis back together and seven days in the hospital I spent six weeks in a wheelchair and six more with a walker and crutches. With all of the time on my hands I was looking for my next ride, well I always am. It was agreed with the family that I would stay on four wheels.

I found my car many months before and had been watching it. I had just got onto crutches and took a road trip to Portland to have a look. The car was a mess and I was pissed that I even drove down there. I low balled the owner and left. On the way home he messaged me wondering if I was coming back, I replied with a final number if he wanted me to turn around. The rest of the deal is history. I spent the last three years going over every part of the car with the help and guidance of this forum and Timm's website. I never gave up and never regretted all of the work I put in and the great joy of driving my car.

Being a BMW owner is not just being a car owner it is a journey filled with hills and valleys. That car kept me going as I recovered and will always be in my mind. The new owner was excited and reignited my passion for my 750. When we were sitting there another BMW 740i Msport pulled up and asked if he could join us.
    KIMG0082[1].jpg
    We had a great time talking about how much MERC's suck and BMW's are awesome, to drive that is. The buyer also has an E60 M5 like mine but unlike me he has to pay for service and is bailing out after many thousands in repairs. I considered buying his car but I have a black on black E60 to dump money into.

As I drove to and from the sale the list of "to do's" for the 750 was racking up in my head, another journey with a BMW.
    01' 750il Chromeline
    95 M3 LS swapped
    07 M5 Manual
    06' M5, Spartan wheels and a 507hp V10
    00' 740il Dinan, CAI, Romulus exhaust, Stage 5 engine and transmission tune, 750 brakes, camber plates, strut tower brace. Sold
    00' 323i wagon for daughter
    03' 525i wagon for the wife, sold
    98' 740i for the daughter, wrecked
    92' 525i with over 200k, wrecked
    02' R1200 CLC, hit by a bus and broken in half. That one made the news!
    It's like herpes there is no cure but if treated properly you can live with it for the rest of your life

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Replaced the windshield cowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Replaced the windshield cowl
    That was my weekend project too! Needed to be done. The old one would vibrate and make bee-like noises around 45mph and up. First time I heard the bee sound I was convinced I had two angry hornets in the air vents. I replaced all expanding rivets as well as the grommets that they fit into. I reused the large plastic grommet for the driver side wiper, but would recommend to others to replace it with a newer one that is a bit more flexible and not as stiff and potentially brittle. The hardest part of the job was getting the new cowl to sit properly. For some reason the passenger side was a breeze, and the driver side required more re-positioning efforts than I expected to get it just right.

My Cars
    09 X5 & 01 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    That was my weekend project too! Needed to be done. The old one would vibrate and make bee-like noises around 45mph and up. First time I heard the bee sound I was convinced I had two angry hornets in the air vents. I replaced all expanding rivets as well as the grommets that they fit into. I reused the large plastic grommet for the driver side wiper, but would recommend to others to replace it with a newer one that is a bit more flexible and not as stiff and potentially brittle. The hardest part of the job was getting the new cowl to sit properly. For some reason the passenger side was a breeze, and the driver side required more re-positioning efforts than I expected to get it just right.
    Must be that time of year. I just did mine a week or so ago. While everything was apart I also hit the wiper arms and covers with a fresh coat of flat black. I bought a "wiper puller" tool off amazon for $13 which did a great job. Got an email from FCPEuro a few days later, advertising the BMW version for $139. lolz.

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    Can anyone tell me what this part is? 2000 740i m sport

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast