Thread: Help: Update E91 2005 (CCC) modules using a K+DCan cable

My Cars
    E91 320D

Help: Update E91 2005 (CCC) modules using a K+DCan cable

Hello,

Happy New Year!

A while ago, the CCC on my 2005 BMW (E91 - 320d, M47) broke. I sent it to a repair shop in the capital of my country.

I got it back right before Christmas (with an updated firmware), installed it and noticed that the Aux In and parking sensors were not working. Called the repair shop (they did not warn me this will happen) and they sent me to a young local guy that solved the issue almost instantly using a laptop and what looked like a K+DCAN cable. When I was just about to leave, I realized that even though the sensors were working, I still had no sound for them. Called the repair shop again and they told me the other modules of the car also need to be updated (again, they did not warn me about this), particularly the Gateway and PDC (Park Distance Control). They also notified me that for this I would have to pay because it is a separate problem from the CCC…

I am considering buying a K+DCan cable and do the updates myself, at least the two above. (I already own a decent battery charger, I understand I would need it.)

Question is, how difficult is to do this myself and how risky? Would I be able to pull it off, or should I spend even more money and time finding a professional with an ICOM tester.

From what I have read, doing a full car update can be pretty risky. Maybe it would be safe enough to do the modules one by one or just the ones that need updating?

Thank you,

Fox
    Last edited by FoxKhan; 01-03-2020 at 06:36 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    K-dcan will take 18+ hours on certain modules. ICOM with MOST adapter (fiber optic) is essentially required for the speed needed.
    K-dcan is very risky.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E91 320D
    Thank you very much! 18+ hours, wow!... I am considering the ICOM option (if I can find somebody nearby) or even leaving the PDC sensors as they are, without sound. I am still reading about the whole thing, learning more and more. Some people recommended the BimmerGeeks cable and I am also considering buying that. I have not noticed any other problems with the car since the CCC repair. If I would buy a cable, for now I would only attempt to solve this problem probably by trying to update the firmware on the Gateway and PDC modules.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKhan View Post
    Thank you very much! 18+ hours, wow!... I am considering the ICOM option (if I can find somebody nearby) or even leaving the PDC sensors as they are, without sound. I am still reading about the whole thing, learning more and more. Some people recommended the BimmerGeeks cable and I am also considering buying that. I have not noticed any other problems with the car since the CCC repair. If I would buy a cable, for now I would only attempt to solve this problem probably by trying to update the firmware on the Gateway and PDC modules.
    On a K-line car (which is what your car will be as a 2005 model), Bimmergeeks' cable won't make a difference. Your cable will most likely work if it's worked for other things, but it will be slow. An ICOM + MOST adapter will speed things up, but not by as much as the data rate difference would suggest (typically it's only 2x as fast instead of the expected 1000x).

I'm not sure your PDC issue is related to a software issue vs a coding issue, but it should be relatively safe to update that without updating the other modules.

My Cars
    E91 320D
    Thank you! You guys are of great help. I do not own a cable yet. I am interested in buying a decent one, preferably from Europe, as I live here. The Bimmergeeks cable is an alternative, but it will not be as easy to get it.

Here is the full story in short, for whoever is reading this and interested:

Few months ago, the CCC of my car started acting up. First it gave a white screen from time to time and kept rebooting. Then is stopped working altogether, freezing at the BMW logo and then rebooting. The parking sensors, audio, Aux In, bluetooth and all other features on the car were working properly.
    I contacted a repair shop and dismantled the CCC from the car. The unit had the factory seals on it.
    I received the fixed CCC after a few days. The shop told me that they also updated the firmware to the latest version.
    I installed it on the car and noticed the Aux In and Parking sensors (Graphics & audio) were not working.
    At the repairman's instructions, I went to a local guy who in about 2 minutes, with a laptop and cable, made the Aux In and Parking sensor graphics work again. (If I got it right, he coded the CCC on the car again?)

After that, I noticed that the sensors make no sound but properly respond on the graphics. Asked the local guy, he told me that he did what he was asked to do and it is not his problem anymore.

Called the repair shop and the guy there told me it is not a CCC problem anymore (everything is alright with it now) and that I need to update the Gateway and PDC module to make everything compatible again.

This is how I ended looking for a cable and software, trying to solve the problem myself.
    Last edited by FoxKhan; 01-05-2020 at 07:40 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Does any sound in the car work? Radio etc?

My Cars
    E91 320D
    Radio, navigation, CD, Aux In all work as intended.