Thread: M50 engine too high inside engine bay

My Cars
    BMW E36

M50 engine too high inside engine bay

Hello everybody,

Investigating the second time a bump appeared on my bonnet, I reached the conclusion that the radiator fan blades and even the vanos are too close to the bonnet, and sometimes touch the hood when torque causes the engine to rotate/raise (I found broken blades under the sound insulation). This is a turbo M50 engine in a E36 coupe. I suspect that the exhaust side engine mount which was custom made in ghetto style is causing the engine to sit too high in the bay. This probably combines with worn rubber engine mounts which allow for too much movement.
    Guys, can you please have a look and tell me if my engine seems to sit too high compared to yours? To me it seems really pointed upwards.

IMG_7503.jpgIMG_7509.jpg

The first photo is more artistic than anything, but the second photo shows that a straight line between the front side screws of the
    shocks almost touches the engine. Is it so tide in the stock E36 using the original mounts or some proper aftermarket ones? Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
    Florin

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    I would suggest getting the motor mounts straightened out. I've had pretty good success with Megan racing motor mounts on my supercharged E36. They are stiffer than stock but not as bad as solid mounts.
    Also check rear transmission mount. If they are shot, the rear of the transmission could be sitting lower than it should which will tip the front of the engine up higher. It causes a seesaw effect.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    I also say check the trans mounts before anything

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    are slow.
    Get new original motor mounts and transmission mounts. No need to go aftermarket unless you want to deal with the car always shaking at idle.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Get new original motor mounts and transmission mounts. No need to go aftermarket unless you want to deal with the car always shaking at idle.
    Depending on the setup he may not be able to run a stock passenger side mount. Hard to tell from the pictures but I'm assuming it's a bottom mount? A lot of bottom mounts need a custom mount

My Cars
    BMW E36
    Thank you guys. I definitely cannot run a stock passenger side mount, as it needs to clear the turbo inlet hose. The main question is whether replacing just the rubber supports will be enough or my custom made mount is also keeping the engine too high. I'll start with the rubber supports of both engine and transmission and see what happens.I think I'll also mount a metal sheet or something to the radiator that the blades will touch first before the engine hood so I can check whether everything is ok, because I have to make sure somehow that I do not have to repaint the bonnet once again...

IMG_7401.jpg

This happened about 2 weeks after having the whole car repainted

Best regards,
    Florin

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Can you add spacers to each hood hinge to raise the overall height?

My Cars
    BMW E36
    There are many ways to skin this cat. I will start with the most obvious ones (engine and transmission mounts replacement) and move on to the more exotic ones like the one you suggest. I even consider trimming the fan blades about an inch if I have to

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    Can you add spacers to each hood hinge to raise the overall height?
    Spacers under the hinges may give more room in the rear but probably would only give a few mm at front of the engine bay due to angle.
    Trans mounts are the support for the rear of the engine, if these fail the motor will sit high in the front. If they appear to be good than I would reccomend looking to revise the passenger side motor mount.
    And yes there are many ways to go about hiding the tilt of the engine but that doesn't fix it and improper angles can cause driveline vibrations and create issues down the road.