Thread: Think about prices of ICE repair parts, maintenance items in future...

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

Think about prices of ICE repair parts, maintenance items in future...

Funny, I've often thought (ok, maybe once a year) about investing in repair parts and maintenance items, brake pads, rotors, filters, etc. because their cost seems to increase by 10% or more a year....
    I recently read an article in the NYT about a town in Germany where a Mahle plant is closing, putting some 25000 people out of work...The area is a hotbed of Mittelstan(sp?) industry that is going to feel the impact of the conversion to electric vehicles in the EU and Germany specifically.
    It seems in 2020 the EU is likely to put big fines on ICE manufacturer of vehicles over 100gm/km emissions...not just a fine on those high emissions but a fine on ALL the manufacturers' vehicles relative to fleet emissions. One result is that MB isn't going to bring certain all-electric SUV-type vehicles to NA...they're going to need them in the EU.

So maybe I'll buy a case of oil filters, or more likely deal with FCP Euro lifetime warranty....it applies to filters!!! I don't think my E46 M3 is going to stay with me for another 17 years...

My Cars
    '05 ///M3
    Use FCP Euro as much as you can for as long as they have their warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The Mahle plant made air filters and such for ICE cars, not sure why they wouldn't shift gears to make cabin filters for Electric cars. I think it is just a reason to shutdown a plant that wasn't making any money.

Here in Europe, the EU commission is really pushing on the fuel economy and electric vehicles, something like by 2025, no more ICE cars only hybrids will be sold here. Diesel cars are now frowned upon for the emissions, and even banned in some cities.

FCP Euro would be a good place to get parts, as well as the nice lifetime warranty on everything. I just don't drive my M3 enough to warrent the need, or the extra cost.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member