Hi all, I posted this first in the E60 subforum but figured I might as well also post it here.

So a few weeks back I was driving my car and just when I was pulling into my driveway the car reduced power mode and the check engine light came on, when I scanned the codes it had four codes, intake timing over retarded on each bank and exhaust timing over retarded on each bank. The engine idled very rough and would die if left idling for more than 30 seconds or so, and definitely sounded out of time. Since I had a warranty I figured whatever and took the car to the dealership the next day the dealership said that they recommended an engine replacement (and found some metal shavings in the oil pan) but my warranty said this was too expensive and wrote me a check for essentially what I bought the car for used a few years back, after paying for the diagnosis fee from that im left with just shy of 10 grand from the payout, and I want to fix the engine (I replaced a transmission and timing chains on my older E39 a few years back and I have help from my brother whos a mechanic) but I am a bit weary on how to go about it. Anyone have a similar issue like this before? my first thought is it must be a Vanos issue however I cant be sure, I found a rebuilt motor for 8 grand im thinking of buying (its got zero miles and a 2 year warranty) but if I could get away with around 800-900 in parts and just fix the issue (assuming it is a Vanos issue) that would be nice too. Anyone have this issue before? Am I right to assume its most likely a Vanos issue? My thought here is if I dont wanna to commit to repairing the Vanos if its not going to fix the issue or dumping money into a doomed engine.

Seems very similar to the issue this article discusses with an S85:
http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/2006-...-vanos-timing/