Thread: (E60 M5) Over retarded timing on both intake and exhaust, both banks.

My Cars
    E60 M5

(E60 M5) Over retarded timing on both intake and exhaust, both banks.

Hi all,

So a few weeks back I was driving my car and just when I was pulling into my driveway the car reduced power mode and the check engine light came on, when I scanned the codes it had four codes, intake timing over retarded on each bank and exhaust timing over retarded on each bank. The engine idled very rough and would die if left idling for more than 30 seconds or so, and definitely sounded out of time. Since I had a warranty I figured whatever and took the car to the dealership the next day the dealership said that they recommended an engine replacement (and found some metal shavings in the oil pan) but my warranty said this was too expensive and wrote me a check for essentially what I bought the car for used a few years back, after paying for the diagnosis fee from that im left with just shy of 10 grand from the payout, and I want to fix the engine (I replaced a transmission and timing chains on my older E39 a few years back and I have help from my brother whos a mechanic) but I am a bit weary on how to go about it. Anyone have a similar issue like this before? my first thought is it must be a Vanos issue however I cant be sure, I found a rebuilt motor for 8 grand im thinking of buying (its got zero miles and a 2 year warranty) but if I could get away with around 800-900 in parts and just fix the issue (assuming it is a Vanos issue) that would be nice too. Anyone have this issue before? Am I right to assume its most likely a Vanos issue? My thought here is if I dont wanna to commit to repairing the Vanos if its not going to fix the issue or dumping money into a doomed engine.

Seems very similar to the issue this article discusses with an S85: http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/2006-...-vanos-timing/

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You can't assume anything, who knows what happened, the quickest route would be a used or rebuild engine what ever that means. The engine is completely different from the e39, I would take the money and run, sell the car for parts.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    How many miles?
    Most Vanos engines will idle fine with Vanos solenoids disconnected. Your rough idle suggests something more serious. Remove valve covers and check cam timing.

My Cars
    2004 E60 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicfail1001 View Post
    Hi all,

So a few weeks back I was driving my car and just when I was pulling into my driveway the car reduced power mode and the check engine light came on, when I scanned the codes it had four codes, intake timing over retarded on each bank and exhaust timing over retarded on each bank. The engine idled very rough and would die if left idling for more than 30 seconds or so, and definitely sounded out of time. Since I had a warranty I figured whatever and took the car to the dealership the next day the dealership said that they recommended an engine replacement (and found some metal shavings in the oil pan) but my warranty said this was too expensive and wrote me a check for essentially what I bought the car for used a few years back, after paying for the diagnosis fee from that im left with just shy of 10 grand from the payout, and I want to fix the engine (I replaced a transmission and timing chains on my older E39 a few years back and I have help from my brother whos a mechanic) but I am a bit weary on how to go about it. Anyone have a similar issue like this before? my first thought is it must be a Vanos issue however I cant be sure, I found a rebuilt motor for 8 grand im thinking of buying (its got zero miles and a 2 year warranty) but if I could get away with around 800-900 in parts and just fix the issue (assuming it is a Vanos issue) that would be nice too. Anyone have this issue before? Am I right to assume its most likely a Vanos issue? My thought here is if I dont wanna to commit to repairing the Vanos if its not going to fix the issue or dumping money into a doomed engine.

Seems very similar to the issue this article discusses with an S85: http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/2006-...-vanos-timing/
    Its the metal shaving that would be of most concern.......and I don’t think that could be Vanos related?
    Until you can determine what the damage is from it’s impossible to know how much parts are gonna be if you wanna do a rebuilt yourself.
    ">'85 Mlite E30, '98 E36, 1998 528i, 5 spd manual, black on black, sold in 2012 and still going past 350Kkms, now MYSTIC Blue 2004 545i, 6 spd Steptr., Adaptive steering and Xenons, Anti dazzle mirrors. Aux+Belt-Chime+Dig speedo+iDrive discl. 2007 TCU+BT Coded+Sure BT Board

My Cars
    E60 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    How many miles?
    Most Vanos engines will idle fine with Vanos solenoids disconnected. Your rough idle suggests something more serious. Remove valve covers and check cam timing.
    Starting to look like what happened is a rod bearing failure, with the rod bearing dumping enough metal into the oil to cause the vanos unit to fail too. Looks like ill be buying an new motor, still dont know what to do with the old one though.

My Cars
    Rod bearing failure is common on the S85 engines. The old engine is worthless.

I have been telling people to change their rod bearings for years. They are a maintenance item on the S85 and S65 engines.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician