Thread: What to do with 1983 745i?

My Cars
    745, 633CSi, 325e,

What to do with 1983 745i?

First time poster here but long time BMW guy...

Picked up with 240k on the clock. Body is very good. Paint is good. CA car. No rust. Interior is nice save for some cracks on the dash. It seems too nice to part it out.

The car sat for 8-plus years. We have gotten it running (poorly) with a new high-flow, in-tank pump. We currently have the injectors out for cleaning and re-sealing. That, we think, will make it run smoothly. The brakes will need attention and who knows what kind of condition the trans is in.

It has a good history. It was imported by Hardy and Beck and maintained there. One owner. We checked with the mechanic who worked on the car and the previous owner spared no expense. As we go through the car, it does not appear that the PO cut corners.

Lots of goodies on the car: Hardy and Beck wheels, adjustable rear bar, Bilstiens all around (air suspension was removed), ltd slip. Could be a nice driver for somebody who wanted to make it nice. Could also get parted (due to high miles) and be a money maker. I don't see us doing either. We were originally thinking of swapping the turbo engine into our 633CSi Lemons car. We ditched that idea. Now, we are either gonna make it run/drive and flip it or sell it as is to somebody who wants to drive or part it. (Oh, it has $800 in CA back fees and no title.)

So, I am curious what others think. Just for fun...what would you do with it?

--Bill

Here are some pictures:

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    Looks like an Ljet without a title? Car is worthless.

BTW it had a hydraulic rear suspension, not air.

My Cars
    79' 320i 84' 733i
    Coming from someone who has parted out more BMW's than I can remember, it seems like it would be a shame to part that car out. Would be a fun car to get running and keep on the road. I'm not familiar with trying to title old vehicles in CA though, that might be a nightmare.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    No title renders that a parts car. It used to be fairly easy to have sketchy title services like ITS let you sign power of atty to them for a dmv transaction and then they'd have an agent in a state like Vermont get a title in your name, but I think states have wised up to this behavior.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1985 745i
    You can get a title for it in CA only if it was last registered in CA. (Otherwise it’s a nightmare). It will need to be inspected by chp to make sure it’s not stolen and confirm the car is real. It’s an annoying process but can be done.

I don’t think that car is worth parting out. However, with the back fees and annoyance of getting a title, it’s not worth a lot as a whole.

The color, parts, and history on that car makes it worth saving in my opinion.
    When your enemy is making a mistake, do not interrupt him.

My Cars
    745, 633CSi, 325e,
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    Looks like an Ljet without a title? Car is worthless.

BTW it had a hydraulic rear suspension, not air.
    Thanks for the clarification on the suspension. I do think the car is Motronic rather than L-Jet.

--bb

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yert315 View Post
    The color, parts, and history on that car makes it worth saving in my opinion.
    The only thing stopping me from going all in on saving it is the miles... Otherwise, as you mentioned, the title stuff can figured out. DMV will negotiate back fees if you catch them on a good day and have proof that the car was sitting.

Appreciate the discussion...

--bb

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Mileage doesn't mean much on a car like this, condition is what's way more important. Being rust free and having good paint and a nice interior are a good start. If the car had 100k miles but was in the same condition it wouldn't be worth much more IMHO. So I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billy bee View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on the suspension. I do think the car is Motronic rather than L-Jet.

--bb

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you are incorrect unless someone swapped its shifter wood for one from a 3HP22 car and removed the S/E/M mode selector knob on the surround. The likely hood of this on a 'one owner car that spared no expense' and maintained by H&B is about zero. Post under hood shots and a picture of the ECU...passenger kick panel. Should be a yellow label ending in -127. -017 AFM.

First Motronic was built in 05/83, I had one that was 8480640 I recall but was an 06/83. Their VINs are usually 848xxxx, until 11/84 when BMW went to 875xxxx. I had a 12/82 Ljet that looked identical with a 78xxxxx VIN as I recall.

You cannot junk a vehicle without a title in Texas unless you disassemble it and toss a piece away at a time, including destroying the body. Car is worthless without a title, not to mention it does not run well enough to even drive. I am with yert315 on it.

Snatch the title, it would be worth saving if body is good as it seems to be.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    745, 633CSi, 325e,
    Well, we sold the car pretty much as is. I am going to spend some more time on it to try to get it running with some clean injectors and new seals. But then it's going to a new home. I hope to run it and drive it a little before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    First Motronic was built in 05/83, I had one that was 8480640 I recall but was an 06/83. Their VINs are usually 848xxxx, until 11/84 when BMW went to 875xxxx. I had a 12/82 Ljet that looked identical with a 78xxxxx VIN as I recall.
    You may be right. I did not look closely enough to determine. Rather, I took the internet's word for it. Hard to believe the inter webs was wrong, huh?

I have some time in on working with L-Jet, but not enough to spot the differences just by looking at the engine bay and sensors and wiring. Our car is a 787XXXX VIN. So, it's obviously an earlier car based on the information you provide.

Thanks for the conversation...

--bb

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    I am right.

Take care.

My Cars
    84 728i,325Ci, 77 R100RS
    (Oh, it has $800 in CA back fees and no title.)

--Bill

FYI you can probably get a title in CA if it's been sitting that long and isn't in the computer. Time limit seems to vary, but if they don't see it in the computer for the last 8 years or so, they'll usually play. For $150 a private DMV services guy will go through the title drill for you, including the VIN verification the cops usually do, maybe even at your home. You will need a CARB sticker in the door, the ability to pass a visual smog inspection (cat) and also then pass the rolling dyno smog check. PITA but do-able. If you get that far, for the 25mph dyno test, have him leave it in 2nd to keep the revs up.

Don't forget you can't junk a car in CA without a title or donate it to a charity. There is a weird loophole where you can sell it to a shop but I'm foggy on the details.

Also AAA has the ability - if you find the right guy - to use the CA loophole about "cars of special interest" to lose the back fees. You'll need to find someone who knows the rules (call around) and then provide them proof that there's a club or group out there that supports the car. I copied several websites about 745 groups (and a 58 Rambler) and it worked. I've titled and registered a CA 745i with $1500 in back fees for $150. Plus titling if non-CA.

In addition you can usually plate it as an Historical Vehicle for very short money. You get - I think - permanent plates and you're supposed to only drive it to shows and repair shops and parades. I've never been hassled nor has the guy I sold it to. And it's legally titled if you're going to flip it. The rules say a grey market car cannot be a Historical Vehicle and say it has to go to a referee station to be inspected and smogged in any case, but I have run several 745s through as normal cars and gotten normal smog inspections and walked away with Historical plates, so....

You can also just title it and put it immediately into non-op if you're not going to drive it and then sell, donate or junk it that way.

If there's no CARB sticker in the doorjamb you may have problemo. Be careful. But if H&B has been at it, they may easily have been the original importer and it should all be good. No CARB sticker is a deal breaker.

Good luck.

My Cars
    745, 633CSi, 325e,
    Sorry to have been out of touch. I did sell the car with a Bill of Sale to a guy who usually parts cars out, but I think he's keeping it on the road. That's good news.

We are back to focusing on our race car.

--Bill

My Cars
    85 745
    Hey all,

I don't know about in California but here in NV anyone can take a car to any DMV licensed shop and sign the car in for repairs. If a customer (doesn't need to be the owner) signs a repair order a lien can be applied after 90 days.... I don't think I've posted it but we ended up with a customers 85ish 735 that approved work and never came back. My point is, getting titles are pretty easy but the cost $500 for a lien company to file the papers with the DMV then its a waiting game.