Thread: Just Bought a 2002 M5 & Seeking Maintenance & Upgrade Suggestions

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 M5

Just Bought a 2002 M5 & Seeking Maintenance & Upgrade Suggestions

Hello All,

Over the holiday break, I purchased a 2002 M5 with about 83k miles. I've been drooling over this car for over a year now and finally pulled the trigger.

I bought it from a dealership so I was really only able to base the integrity of its upkeep based on what I could see and a test drive. Off the bat, it's seemingly in good condition but I've never owned a classic performance car (2nd car of ownership total) and I know E39s and BMWs in general are not the most forgiving when it comes to maintenance/costs.

With all that being said, I've done a bit of research on some of the key due diligence I should follow to maintenance and 'proof' the M5 up to its standards in order to keep it a reliable car. I've read on forums that a level 2 service is necessary after 60k miles and I'm not sure of this was ever done. I've also read that a various amount of oil flushes/replacements should be made in addition to checking the control arms/bushings for the suspension for wear and tear.

What are the considerations you all recommend that I keep in mind related to getting my new M5 inspected/replaced for maintenance?

PS During my test drive, the steering feel felt very stiff and I'm not sure if this is just because of the age/generation of cars back then or if there should be underlying concerns otherwise. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2002 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by V8FLEX View Post
    Hello All,

Over the holiday break, I purchased a 2002 M5 with about 83k miles. I've been drooling over this car for over a year now and finally pulled the trigger.

I bought it from a dealership so I was really only able to base the integrity of its upkeep based on what I could see and a test drive. Off the bat, it's seemingly in good condition but I've never owned a classic performance car (2nd car of ownership total) and I know E39s and BMWs in general are not the most forgiving when it comes to maintenance/costs.

With all that being said, I've done a bit of research on some of the key due diligence I should follow to maintenance and 'proof' the M5 up to its standards in order to keep it a reliable car. I've read on forums that a level 2 service is necessary after 60k miles and I'm not sure of this was ever done. I've also read that a various amount of oil flushes/replacements should be made in addition to checking the control arms/bushings for the suspension for wear and tear.

What are the considerations you all recommend that I keep in mind related to getting my new M5 inspected/replaced for maintenance?

PS During my test drive, the steering feel felt very stiff and I'm not sure if this is just because of the age/generation of cars back then or if there should be underlying concerns otherwise. Any thoughts?
    Congrats, it sounds like you should find a good BMW indy if you haven't already. They will be the best option at helping you maintain the beast. But if you are handy and have basic knowledge with tools and mechanics. You should be able to learn and tackle almost everything yourself. You can start off by using the search bar here and I recommend m5board.com too as a good resource.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    For the steering were you in sport mode or not? Sport mode will reduce the assist on the steering. Also as the car ages the servotronic unit on the steering that creates the variable assist can weaken, I replaced mine and the assist was dramatically increased at low speed.

Unless you heard any noise from the PS pump or any creaking/groaning from the strut bearings (top of struts) or front end while turning the wheel I wouldn't worry about it. Its impossible to gauge something like that unless you compare it to another M5, as "stiff" is a very subjective term. A reticulating ball steering box like the e39 M5 is incredibly robust, will typically outlive the rest of the car, they use them mostly in trucks and if you ever get a rebuilt one from BMW it has a lifetime guarantee.

I would try and find a good shop that has experience with BMWs and refer to them. Nothing beats a good mechanic.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    Also join the E39 M5 Owners Group on FB. The m5board has kinda died sadly.
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

My Cars
    2002 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallatauer View Post
    Also join the E39 M5 Owners Group on FB. The m5board has kinda died sadly.
    Very sad actually. I was a member since 2008 when I first got my M5 and it was THE source for knowledge and DIY information. Like you said, now the the FB group is where to go.