Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1994 E32 740i will not pass California smog

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    California never disappoints with their weird laws and regulations. I’m sorry you guys have to put up with that. There are a tiny fraction of cars over 25 years on the road, they really wouldn’t be actively contributing pollution/smog but whatever

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    Quote Originally Posted by letank View Post
    yes, and it is getting really annoying because for the older cars, I mean the vintage collector ones, less and less smog test station have the equipment to do the tests because it take a lot longer than plugging the interface cable and waiting for the data to download...

We failed too on the high nox, but all the other numbers are very good. It is too lean, no vacuum leaks... I am going to try to work the INPA, I have not found version 3.01, but version 5.02 downloaded on that old XP pro laptop with the serial port, it even seems functional as well as on the win7 laptop... Now I need to build the cable interface, I have not found the right one already made.

from the software forum, the contributors have polished an easier version later on, otherwise from page 1
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-ADS-interface
    My brain hurts after scrolling through almost 600 posts in that thread! I already have a Dell 610 running Windows XP (SP3 I believe) and several software downloads to play with, and since time=money I think this is the way I would go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-AD...r/164061337987

Or this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiny-ADS-In...S/264150426122

The seller OpenLabs has a 97.6% seller rating on eBay. I would rather see 100% feedback overall, though the feedback on this particular item is basically 100% if you discount one buyer who had to re-solder a connection to make it work and another buyer who claimed to never receive their shipment. All other buyers said the item worked perfectly out of the box.

Or this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-Ed...AAAOSwdI9Y8Im3

This comes from Hong Kong and the seller has a 100% rating across the board.

All things being equal I am leaning toward the $69 unit out of Dallas (second item above). Thoughts on that?

By the way, the full description for the third item reads:

This Interface allows FULL diagnostic of ALL BMW's equipped with OBD1 20pin connectors as well as ALL BMW's equipped with 16pin OBD2 connectors that do not require DCAN yet.

Works with INPA, SSS, Progman and other Ediabas Handler based Software.

The smallest, best looking & highest quality of it's kind.
    Dual mode diagnostic interface for BMW Ediabas / INPA Software 100% compatible with the original BMW OBD2 Interface and all it's functions in OBD mode, 100% compatible ADS mode for full support of 20pin OBD1 cars such as the E30 - E36 series and similar. Only an fully ADS compatible interface can access all modules in certain 20pin OBD1 cars, to check if you have such a car please check the 20pin OBD1 diagnostic plug, if Pin15 is installed only an fully ADS compatible Interface will be able to connect to all modules in the car.

Functions:
    - Read & erase errors
    - Adaptations
    - Coding
    - Reprogramming
    - And others...

Features:
    - Connects to RS232 (COM Port) by a 1:1 male to female extension cable (NOT included)
    - Status LEDs for mode and Ignition status
    - Electronic mode selection OBD2 or ADS mode by push buttons
    - Double K-Line support by two freescale semi MC33290 K-Line Drivers and PLD
    - Battery voltage detection by RS232 control line (See Screenshot)
    - Ignition voltage detection by RS232 control line (See Screenshot)
    Package contains:
    INPA / Ediabas OBD & ADS RS232 Interface - 1 pcs.
    BMW 20pin OBD1 to OBD2 female adapter cable - 1 pcs.
    Please be aware that we do not include software for this Item neither on disc nor by download
    For a General Introduction into diagnostic on BMW vehicles please download / open and read this PDF document carefully:
    General_Introduction.pdf

F.A.Q:

Q: How does this Interface work?
    A: It can be setup as STD:OBD2 Interface in OBD2 mode or as ADS in ADS mode.

Q: I have seen other auctions from other vendors for a higher / lower price, what's the difference ?
    A: Usually the price and the quality - Since our Interfaces are assembled and tested to the highest quality standards, It's up to you (the customer) to compare price, product and terms and make your decision according to that.

Q: I have an older BMW that have an 20pin OBD1 connector under the hood, is that the right interface for it?
    A: Yes, this Interface is the perfect choice for 20pin OBD1 vehicles - only with this interface all modules are accessible in certain 20pin OBD1 vehicles.

Q: I have an newer BMW that have an 16pin OBD2 plug inside the vehicle compartment, is that the right Interface for it?
    A: As long as that BMW does not require DCAN yet you can use this Interface in OBD2 mode and it will cover all functions, however we also have to be honest and tell you that there is a cheaper alternative - the simple Interface we offer for 29USD in another auction can do the same job on such vehicles.

Q: Can't I simply use the cheaper OBD2 interface sold by you and many other sellers together with some adapter cable for my 20pin OBD1 vehicle?
    A: You can, however if your 20pin OBD1 vehicle requires real ADS mode not all modules will be accessible.
    Q: How do I know if my 20pin OBD1 vehicle requires an real ADS Interface?
    A: Check the 20pin OBD1 connector under the hood of your vehicle, if pin15 is installed you will need an real ADS Interface to access all modules. ( For more information about this please scroll down to "Choosing the right Interface" )
    Q: My PC does not have an RS232 com port, can I use an USB to RS232 converter cable?
    A: In OBD2 mode this might work in most cases depending on the chipset used in the conveter cable, however in ADS mode it won't work, alternative working choices are certain (but not all) PCMCIA and PCI Express to RS232 cards.

I have wrenched on vehicles with:

1 cylinder
    2 cylinders
    3 cylinders
    4 cylinders
    5 cylinders
    6 cylinders
    7 spoke wheels
    8 cylinders

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by LysanderSpooner View Post
    My brain hurts after scrolling through almost 600 posts in that thread! I already have a Dell 610 running Windows XP (SP3 I believe) and several software downloads to play with, and since time=money I think this is the way I would go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiny-ADS-Interface-with-diagnostic-connector-for-BMW-INPA-DIS-EDIABAS/264150426122

Or this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-Ed...AAAOSwdI9Y8Im3

The seller OpenLabs has a 97.6% seller rating on eBay.
    Thank you for posting the cable ready to use. I did a quick search yesterday and missed them... Openlabs is the OP on the ADS post listed...

Looking at the smog data, and being lean, I thought if it is cold, it might be a bit richer , I added the" guarantee to pass additive" upon the recommendation of the service guy from the indie that we use. Drove about 20 miles yesterday and this morning went to the test station when the engine was almost at operating temp, in the middle or about 5 min... it passed:
    ppm NOX at 15/25 mph from 517/698 to 259/434
    ppm HC 15/25 mph from 12/12 to 0/0
    % CO 15/25 mph from 0/0 to 0/0
    % O2 was 0/0 0/0
    % CO2 15.7/15.6 to 15.7/15.7

I might get the cable and be ready for the next visit... so at least I can test the system, on a HP omnibook from year 2000 that I use mostly for garmin map, the mac is not that good with roadmap.

I was given this link to High Nox troubleshooting

https://www.discountconverter.com/te...erte-&News=216

a brief look up:
    A lean condition as a result of a false signal from the oxygen sensor, an out-of-calibration MAP sensor, plugged injector, low fuel pressure, low fuel pump volume, or a vacuum leak will cause NOx as well. Under these conditions the oxygen will oxidize the hydrogen and the carbon, creating extreme combustion chamber temperature. This acts much like a cutting torch used to oxidize the carbon atom of the metal. As the temperature climbs the nitrogen atoms will separate and form with the oxygen atoms to create NOx. As the oxygen is used to form NOx, the oxygen will be used up, causing a lot of hydrocarbons to be unused.
    Last edited by letank; 08-31-2020 at 01:48 PM.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    any updates?
    Failed again with high nox, I used cataclean, need to go to the test station!
    In the mean time I am working hard to get INPA running on an old PC, running into multitude system with old PC.... finally got INPA 3.01 runnning but no data going thru, I need to check the serial port device that I did. Computer too weird to access on-line update from the ebay vendor. I may have found a good used PC to purchase this weekend.

Alos, I have not found the E32 profile on my INPA/EDIABAS menus!

this is the one w the on-line download: mycor media de

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194946299490?hash=item2d63b47662:g:3FoAAOSwpEZi6Ps 5&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsE3pfBbnhOTVEj3DiRoKw%2BOMh Y3RWwfa1d9AXlUAAoErJBgy0V0LQJZMPmVwgkfQLbM3sdfF%2F TrTvKcHTRnBQKs05hL3JR1GOwaT%2F3rMdX83kwUgYyavEVjCP UDhcGVeI3T59y%2BYCSISy5VIIn7dilwE3V9IGUGZ6v9l4OA2l AUEziE2x1xBpUiZu9Qr5tTpJbIK%2BGBZMxRC7pGgFDMQBTDn6 r3%2Be%2F%2FyKYr59tzvo5H8%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR77066LfYA

Last edited by letank; 09-01-2022 at 02:27 PM.

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    any updates?
    Failed again with high nox, I used cataclean, need to go to the test station!
    In the mean time I am working hard to get INPA running on an old PC, running into multitude system with old PC.... finally got INPA 3.01 runnning but no data going thru, I need to check the serial port device that I did. Computer too weird to access on-line update from the ebay vendor. I may have found a good used PC to purchase this weekend.

Alos, I have not found the E32 profile on my INPA/EDIABAS menus!

this is the one w the on-line download: mycor media de

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194946299490?hash=item2d63b47662:g:3FoAAOSwpEZi6Ps 5&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsE3pfBbnhOTVEj3DiRoKw%2BOMh Y3RWwfa1d9AXlUAAoErJBgy0V0LQJZMPmVwgkfQLbM3sdfF%2F TrTvKcHTRnBQKs05hL3JR1GOwaT%2F3rMdX83kwUgYyavEVjCP UDhcGVeI3T59y%2BYCSISy5VIIn7dilwE3V9IGUGZ6v9l4OA2l AUEziE2x1xBpUiZu9Qr5tTpJbIK%2BGBZMxRC7pGgFDMQBTDn6 r3%2Be%2F%2FyKYr59tzvo5H8%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR77066LfYA

No luck but then I haven't gone for a test in quite some time now (over a year I think). I am still chasing a blue smoke on startup issue and until I get that solved I don't see much point in getting tested. I've got this thread about my PCV/OSV travails and this one about low compression in the rear cylinders and I'm still chasing my tail on both of those.

If you ever get any software to connect to your car I will drive straight there the next day to meet you. Assuming you're in North America that is... ;-)

p.s. When I have been able to get the software to run, I've never seen E32s listed either. I just choose the E34 540i instead.
    Last edited by LysanderSpooner; 09-01-2022 at 06:45 PM.

1 cylinder
    2 cylinders
    3 cylinders
    4 cylinders
    5 cylinders
    6 cylinders
    7 spoke wheels
    8 cylinders

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    If you ever get any software to connect to your car I will drive straight there the next day to meet you. Assuming you're in North America that is... ;-)

p.s. When I have been able to get the software to run, I've never seen E32s listed either. I just choose the E34 540i instead.
    thank you for the OSV threads, this is how I found this link from 2 years ago, while searching!

In SF, but if I can get the dam thing working, we can find a way to send you the computer, friends are always going up and down!

I found an E32 folder on one of the other software,but yes I used the E34 as default

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Move to Florida. I moved here a few weeks after I got out of the service in 1973. First 10 years or so we had the most intense inspections. I mean, driving into an inspection station with six lines. Guy used to come out and check every light and signal on the car. Then walk around with a mirror to make sure you had a catalytic converter and that there were no visible holes in the exhaust. Then came the instructions to drive quickly straight ahead until the guys hand went down telling you to slam on your brake. That measured the pressure in every caliper. Then you popped your hood for a quick look around while they stuck that sensor up the tail pipe coming out with four hydrocarbon and O2 measurements. You never knew if you passed or failed until you paid your fifteen bucks and they handed you a slip. If any part of it failed you had 30 days to get things fixed or your registration was cancelled. Really strict. I lived in England from 68-71 and getting an MOT on my 1964 Ford Prefect was easier. From 1983-2000 they slowly phased the inspections out and in 2000 they just killed it. I sort of wish they'd bring it back. I see some clunkers driving around that would never pass back then.
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    thank you for the OSV threads, this is how I found this link from 2 years ago, while searching!

In SF, but if I can get the dam thing working, we can find a way to send you the computer, friends are always going up and down!

I found an E32 folder on one of the other software,but yes I used the E34 as default
    Man if you ever get it working, suffice it to say I would be extremely curious to try it on my car, if for no other reason than to find out if my car has been at fault all this time or (hopefully) just my own computer setup.

By the way, on the rare occasions I've been able to get INPA to recognize my car at all, though it never has given any engine readings, I was able to play around with the power seats a bit via the laptop controls... woohoo! Curiously though, ever since then my headlights seem to have dipped lower by a fair bit. While mucking around in the interface I recall getting into an electrical control panel of sorts and I'm thinking that might have had something to do with it. Is this possible?

1 cylinder
    2 cylinders
    3 cylinders
    4 cylinders
    5 cylinders
    6 cylinders
    7 spoke wheels
    8 cylinders

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Man if you ever get it working, suffice it to say I would be extremely curious to try it on my car, if for no other reason than to find out if my car has been at fault all this time or (hopefully) just my own computer setup.

By the way, on the rare occasions I've been able to get INPA to recognize my car at all, though it never has given any engine readings, I was able to play around with the power seats a bit via the laptop controls... woohoo! Curiously though, ever since then my headlights seem to have dipped lower by a fair bit. While mucking around in the interface I recall getting into an electrical control panel of sorts and I'm thinking that might have had something to do with it. Is this possible?
    Finally I seem to have a good used win XP laptop (bought in a parking lot, my kids freaked out) ... of course I spent 30 min trying to figure out why INPA was not running... I missed a : in the directory path... intermission... until next update

As for your headlight... I am not going to play with any of these fancy add-on. The jeep is easier... just add gas and oil and unbend broken bits as needed

I bought the foxwell scanner a few weeks ago, no errors found

My Cars
    94 740i, 03 525iT, 86 VW
    Finally I seem to have a good used win XP laptop (bought in a parking lot, my kids freaked out) ... of course I spent 30 min trying to figure out why INPA was not running... I missed a : in the directory path... intermission... until next update
    I hope it was a good freak out, haha! Looking forward to more news on that front.

As for your headlight... I am not going to play with any of these fancy add-on. The jeep is easier... just add gas and oil and unbend broken bits as needed
    Yeah I didn't mean to either, but after so many failed attempts at getting the software to see the ECU I started mucking around just to see if anything worked. Oops.

I bought the foxwell scanner a few weeks ago, no errors found
    Never heard of that one. Does it tell you anything more than a stomp test?

1 cylinder
    2 cylinders
    3 cylinders
    4 cylinders
    5 cylinders
    6 cylinders
    7 spoke wheels
    8 cylinders

My Cars
    8/88 750iL
    Sorry to be off-topic, but letank, are you in SF too? Maybe we should do an E32 meet. I know there's a small number of us here

1989 BMW 750iL (prod 08/88) (vin: 2768675)
    Gone but not forgotten: 1994 BMW 740iL (prod 10/11/1993) (vin: *DE89667) 6spd swap, 2001 BMW 740i Sport

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Yes, I am in SF, we could do a meet when the weather is perfect for a ride in the wine country... the mercedes group has a first sunday ride!
    Cheers

BTT, my stomp test never worked... and now that I have a running pc, INPA loads but my round pin must be f@cked... using a serial snifer, there is no signal from the diagnostic plug... I get error IFH-0009, the car runs fine
    Last edited by letank; 09-12-2022 at 07:33 PM.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    There is hope, I found a good tutorial about RS232.... and of course I messed up my DB9 wiring... so it is almost working, albeit now I get batt and ignition ON even when ignition is not on, but at least I managed to access the special tests and the information to programmversion.

running adssetup dot exe, never did anything, until I decided to run it in command mode... so now I have the proper black dots for battery and ignition
    Last edited by letank; 09-12-2022 at 07:33 PM.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Ran the cataclean for the 1/4 tank as per instructions (4gal), which was 1 month ago...
    Most of the star testing stations are phasing out the snifer test as it is time consumming, the station will rather do the plug in test that check for codes... so it has become hard to find the right place. Today we found one not too far from a freeway ramp so we could warm up the cats...

Passed, yes the Nox is elevated but substantially lower than the passing limit.

Here are the numbers after a 20 mile drive
    Speed rpm CO2 O2 HC CO Nox (Max Nox)
    15mph 1595 15.6 0.0 15 0.02 390 (477)
    25mph 1408 15.0 0.0 11 0.01 423 (481)

I will keep on trying to have a running INPA or whatever will work, the installation is rough I already killed 2 hard disks on 2 old computers with 10 year old hard disks. I will install new hard disk, recovery, and all that jazz .
    Last edited by letank; 09-19-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12