Thread: Strange problem

My Cars
    99 528iTA

Strange problem

There is a red light on the bottom of the hatch. I suspect that it is supposed to light up when the hatch is open, mine doesn't.

It has been a little while since I messed with it but I do remember finding that the wires didn't reach the light. Strange right?

I did not pull all of the trim off of the hatch since when dealing with 20 year old plastic things like to break and I try to do as little harm as possible unless it is necessary.

Any one else have a problem with this light?

Also, behind the sub woofer I have several fuses that are not in a fuse block, just wires with what appear to be factory spade connectors on them attached to factory fuses. there are about 5 or 6 of these free floating fuses. I have not seen anything like this on any other E39 I have looked at. One of the fuses is for the fuel door actuator. I discovered this when I replaced the faulty actuator and found out why it wasn't receiving power. Someone had just ripped the wire out of the spade connector.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    The wires run thru the hinges. If you pinch a wire...... you will have to trace it back. Not sure if you are the original owner. I see you are in Baltimore, but still look at your hinge condition.

My Cars
    99 528iTA
    It was new to me Sep 12, 2018.
    Problem has existed for all my owner ship.
    That hinge, strut, wire loom design, not one of BMW's better ideas.