Thread: Need to R&R left side head light assembly 2003 Z4

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4

Need to R&R left side head light assembly 2003 Z4

I had my wife's 03 Z4 in the shop and first was told my headlight problem was just a bad Xenon lamp. However, as soon as they replaced the lamp it blew immediately. Further research indicated that the headlamp assembly needs to be replaced. To say that the cost for them to install a new assembly was a shock would be an understatement (north of $2700)

I know the headlamp assembly replacement requires the entire front end to come off, so I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any good step-by-step instructions (written to video) for doing this job?

2. Anyone know of any good (reasonable) sources for a new headlamp assembly?

I'm not a BMW expert but not afraid to turn a wrench either if I can find decent instructions.
    Regards,
    Basil

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by BCFBasil View Post
    I had my wife's 03 Z4 in the shop and first was told my headlight problem was just a bad Xenon lamp. However, as soon as they replaced the lamp it blew immediately. Further research indicated that the headlamp assembly needs to be replaced. To say that the cost for them to install a new assembly was a shock would be an understatement (north of $2700)

I know the headlamp assembly replacement requires the entire front end to come off, so I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any good step-by-step instructions (written to video) for doing this job?

2. Anyone know of any good (reasonable) sources for a new headlamp assembly?

I'm not a BMW expert but not afraid to turn a wrench either if I can find decent instructions.
    Regards,
    Basil
    Google search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4ZBkUcxxs

2700 is robbery.
    Ebay search for replacement
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
    Google search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4ZBkUcxxs

2700 is robbery.
    Ebay search for replacement
    Thanks for the link. That video is very helpful. And you're right - $2700 is robbery. Even the mechanic, which I had a few minutes alone with, told me "don't have these people do this job."

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Did the bulb really blow or did it just turn off . I would swap bulbs and see what happens next. Xenon systems are famous for the bulb going on and off when the reality is the module for the affected head light is the real problem

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Did the bulb really blow or did it just turn off . I would swap bulbs and see what happens next. Xenon systems are famous for the bulb going on and off when the reality is the module for the affected head light is the real problem
    After talking to the mechanic, it is more likely that it just stopped working. I've decided to just buy the headlights (gonna go ahead and replace both) and replace the front end as well (it's kinda rough anyway. I mechanic showed me what was necessary to remove the front end and get the headlamps off - it's actually not all that difficult.