Thread: Transfer Case fluid/oil

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3

Transfer Case fluid/oil

Hi there,

I have 2013 BMW X3. It has 66k miles on it. I visited dealer for air and cabin filter change.
    They lifted the car and noticed fluid/oil on transfer case. They are not sure what is the reason and they are not sure what it can cause. They told me that replacing the transfer case will cost $5900. This is a hefty some.

When I park the car there is no fluid on the floor below the transfer case. However when you look closely there are dark oil spots on the transfer case. I am not sure how safe it is to drive? I was planning to drive for the new years and now I am concerned. Please let me know what you think and what can possibly happen if I were to drive 400-500 miles over the next 7 days.

https://i.postimg.cc/L6X7KGvF/IMG-1843.jpg

My Cars
    2001 525it
    So you need to fill it then check the level again in a month let's say. If it's ok check it again in another month, take way you will get an idea of the rate of leakage. To fix it you would have to split the cas and reseal it.

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    This fluid may be from the engine and blowing back onto the transfer case. Check all fluids.

My brother's X5 transfer case had a similar appearance when the oil filter housing gasket leaked.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    E83 X3 and parking friendly Yaris
    I'd get a second opinion from an independent shop on the cost of replacing the transfer case. I had a leak on my 2004 X3 and it was caused by a cracked transfer case. My indy repair shop replaced just the case and was able to utilize the stock internals. It certainly didn't cost my $5900. I think less than $1k. I've had no issues since. That was about 30k miles ago.

In the meantime, use some degreaser and clean off the transfer case and check the fluid level, as noted previously, and fill if needed. Then check in a week or so to see if the leak reappears. Like it was said earlier, it could be runoff from another leak. My oil filter housing gasket needed replacement. But until i was able to do it myself, the mess it made underneath made it look like everything was leaking when it really was just the oil filter housing.