Thread: Z4 Android 10.25 Navigation Unit Install

My Cars
    Z4

Z4 Android 10.25 Navigation Unit Install

I didn't find anything so I thought I share. I got unit off ali express, ill post seller link if its allowed. Some guys on reddit post about it but leave no info, avin has one. This is the z4 non factory nav version. If you have factory nav, its nearly double the price, the connection are different, do not buy the same one.. it will not work. From other users, avin is working on a navigation version for z4. Also a lot of places sells the x3 model for z4, you get longer base, not shorter ones and it over laps to the dash.

Basically someone posted photos and leave no notes, so I did the research. Unit outputs into aux, if you can't live with that, this isn't for you. I use this specially for waze, I can't stand traffic. PX6 is the oem tablet code, lots of people makes it but only a few with z4 bases. PX6 RAM: 2gb/4gb/8gb (no good). Flash: 16/32/64 and optional SD Card, 4/6/8 (no good) cores
    Its basically android tablet, more memory, more cores run better. I got the 4 core, 64gb memory, load more apps, etc. The 8gb/8 core is what I really wanted but many seller told me its not compatible with z4, I dont see how but there is some 'muc' programming that makes it talk to the car, I didnt want to mess with that so I just got the 4gb/6 core. Performance is good. Waze runs well on it, its also android 9, the older 6/7/8 had issues, lots of fixes in v9. Works out of the box. Basica install is unplug your radio, use the y cable and plug everything in. I ran with it without cutting dash to make sure it works well before I commit.

Cutting dash is hardest, that part took 2-3 hours, trying not to damage the dash. I'm also swapping trim so I pull out all the trim at the same time. I believe you can run the gps wires behind the trim area, that whole location is empty. I punch a hole by the passenger door where the gps, fuse tap usb for dash cam, and rear cam and front cam will come in and out of. Working on the front camera. The HD camera I got off ali express came yesterday. I just did a quick test, one I figure out how to run the wires, Ill post more photos.

My Cars
    Z4
    Snake the camera wire in, install the reverse light led light bar, tap into reverse light wire, no errors.

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    I have a 2003 E85 with navigation. The display works, but it does not rotate up and down. I found a place that can repair the existing display for around $500. That said, the 2003 technology is quite old and I would not mind replacing it altogether. I checked out ali express and it seems they have android units, but it is not clear to me if they have one that outright replaces the display that already has navigation. I don't need to cut a hole in my dash! I would like to maintain my car computer features. Ideas anyone?

My Cars
    Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyz4 View Post
    I have a 2003 E85 with navigation. The display works, but it does not rotate up and down. I found a place that can repair the existing display for around $500. That said, the 2003 technology is quite old and I would not mind replacing it altogether. I checked out ali express and it seems they have android units, but it is not clear to me if they have one that outright replaces the display that already has navigation. I don't need to cut a hole in my dash! I would like to maintain my car computer features. Ideas anyone?

Problem is oem and this navigation has different mount points.. people have retrofit the x3 with longer base which actually looks pretty ugy, it comes over top trim.

Problem 2 is that all the seller tells me this unit will not work on factory navigation cars as if there is something not compatible. I'm actually looking for someone that has oem navigation that can meet me somewhere in NY and try to hook up this unit into the navigation radio and see if it works.. till then I really dont hacve an answer about factory navigation and this unit

My Cars
    BMW Z4 E85
    Is there any updates on the installation? Did it work fine?

I am also dying to do this upgrade. Could you share the seller at Ali Express?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    A+ for effort. I personally prefer the clean look of my dash and just use my phone for Waze. But you did a great job.

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    Thanks so much. You answers are exactly what I experienced. I purchased an Android unit from Germany which did not fit my car as you said. Luckily, I was able to return it. I still have a huge hole in my dash. Waiting and looking for a solution. I don't think I would mind the X3 overlap in front if it otherwise fit properly. I found the Z4 unit didn't completely cover the factory hole in the dash and the screws behind the AC vents in front did not line up.

Quote Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
    Problem is oem and this navigation has different mount points.. people have retrofit the x3 with longer base which actually looks pretty ugy, it comes over top trim.

Problem 2 is that all the seller tells me this unit will not work on factory navigation cars as if there is something not compatible. I'm actually looking for someone that has oem navigation that can meet me somewhere in NY and try to hook up this unit into the navigation radio and see if it works.. till then I really dont hacve an answer about factory navigation and this unit

My Cars
    Z4
    Sorry I been busy with work, it work fine, another user had gotten the 8core one I wanted and it totally works with our model, these people will say anything to sell you their stuff, only because there is so many. Ill link the seller when I get a chance,

Everything works normally, I usually dont mind the iphone screen but I'm getting old, the 11 max is hard to read at times, so having this is great and not having to look down if i'm trying to find a road on the map.

I strictly use it for waze, I did test out like amazon prime video, etc, those are pretty slow on my 6 core.. its definitely not the newest greatest android processor, so 8 cores would work better.

The other person that did the upgrade replace the oem bmw navigation, beside the hole issue, he said everything works great.

My Cars
    Z4
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000255811394.html This is the one I purchase, 6 cores, they go on sale often, i paid 460+tax and no customs fee

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33048129899.html

I do recommend something like a 8 core one.. it has wifi and other features mine did not.. but cost more

My Cars
    Z4 E85 2007
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000255811394.html This is the one I purchase, 6 cores, they go on sale often, i paid 460+tax and no customs fee

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33048129899.html

I do recommend something like a 8 core one.. it has wifi and other features mine did not.. but cost more
    Hi bro,

And the installation is exactly the same as yours ???

I sent u some questions, tell me if you saw it, I am very interested in buy one and need to have all more clear hehe.

Thank you so much in advance!!!

My Cars
    Z4 E85 2007
    Hi bro!!!

Awesome posts and great installation pictures too!!!

I am thinking in buy the Android Screen for my Z4 E85 2007, please very important for me these questions, really hope u can help me to have all more clear.....

1.- Any pros and cons with the screen and the Android system ??

2.- I see I will need to have always connected the Screen to the Aux output of the car ???, because is where the souns is transmited, right ? if yes where do u pass the aux cable to dont see it in the front of all my dash hehe.

3.- How is the sound quality ?

4.- Could you upgrade it to Android 10 ?

5.- The camera u installed do I need to wire it all the way to the front ?, if yes, is difficult? any wireless camera I could use ?

6.- Finally hehe the screen/system is plug and play or I will need to modify something in the car ? of course the big cut but only that ?

Thank you so much in advance, I will be waiting your answer to make my desicion.

My Cars
    Z4
    I had PM you... I suggest you save that template photo and ask the seller if the 8core kit has the template before you order it.

My Cars
    Z4 E85 2007
    I had PM you... I suggest you save that template photo and ask the seller if the 8core kit has the template before you order it.
    Thank you so much!!!!! check yours.