Thread: E34 Tranny slippage from 2nd to 3rd

My Cars
    525i & Corvette

E34 Tranny slippage from 2nd to 3rd

Hoping to see if anyone has had this problem or can lend some insight.
    I took my ’94 E34 in for a transmission rebuild. 168K miles original miles on it. After receiving it and driving for about a couple of months, it began to slightly slip when changing gears from 2nd to 3rd. I took it back and they confirmed, removed the transmission and found some clutches to be prematurely burned. The original ones were severely burned, almost black. They replaced them with new ones again.
    Same thing happened so they went ahead and this time totally rebuilt the valve body with the latest upgrade kit. Drove it about a week and the same thing happened again. This time they decided to swap the transmission altogether, placing the rebuilt valve body into it. Again, same problem. Because this was an entirely different transmission, they now thought it could be the transmission control module. They ordered one on eBay, last week, it arrived this morning, installed it, and the same slippage is happening.
    So, has anyone out here run into this before or can guild me as what to look for next? The shop has been very cooperative and willing to resolve this issue but I thought, who know, maybe someone has an answer out here in forum land, lol.
    Btw, transmission cooler and lines were blown clean so there’s no chance there’s blockage and overheating problems. No error codes at all. And the solenoids were also replaced.
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    How about the torque converter, was that flushed and tested?
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    525i & Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    How about the torque converter, was that flushed and tested?
    A rebuilt one was initially installed during the 1st rebuild.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Not come across the issue but maybe consider the differences between 2nd and 3rd gear:

Overrun clutch, 2nd gear clutch, overrun roller and 1-2/3-4 solenoid are in the same positions in both 2 and 3.
    In 3, the band is released, 3rd clutch is applied and power to the 2-3 shift solenoid is switched off.
    So if the 2-3 shift solenoid spool is stuck or has a lazy return spring, the 3rd gear clutch will not apply properly.

It is only a theory but it may be worth asking if the springs and spools were also changed when the VB was rebuilt

My Cars
    525i & Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Not come across the issue but maybe consider the differences between 2nd and 3rd gear:

Overrun clutch, 2nd gear clutch, overrun roller and 1-2/3-4 solenoid are in the same positions in both 2 and 3.
    In 3, the band is released, 3rd clutch is applied and power to the 2-3 shift solenoid is switched off.
    So if the 2-3 shift solenoid spool is stuck or has a lazy return spring, the 3rd gear clutch will not apply properly.

It is only a theory but it may be worth asking if the springs and spools were also changed when the VB was rebuilt
    I'll consider anything and pass it onto the shop at this point. Thanks!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 530iA V8
    Do you have a GM 4 speed or a ZF 5 speed? Check your gear selector. If the highest number is 3 you have a GM 4 speed. If the highest number is 4 you have a ZF 5 speed.

This is important to know. Issue with the ZF 5 speed can also be too little engine torque or a certain bushing was not replaced during the overhaul. There is a design flaw in the 5HP18 that allows the 2-3 shift to flare up.