Thread: E36 m3 with a e46 m3 6 speed making noises help

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe

E36 m3 with a e46 m3 6 speed making noises help

Hi, Just wanna start off by saying this is my first post, so sorry if something is out of place.

I have a 1997 m3 which has a e46 m3 6 speed swap, stock clutch and all, all the used e46 m3 parts were used in the swap. Recently I've been noticing that my clutch pedal vibrates especially when I press it, also when I press the clutch pedal I hear a whining, rubbing noise coming from under the shifter, I'm thinking the throw out bearing is on its way out but am not sure as at about the same time that I started hearing those noises, the clutch started chattering, when I engage the clutch in 1st or reverse, the car shakes pretty badly. If you guys have any idea what this could be id appreciate the help.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved from forum software questions to E36 M3 forum, maybe someone can help you there, although it is a mix of E36 M3 and E46 M3
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Well, hi and welcome..

Did you do this or did you buy it this way? If you can feel the clutch pedal it probably is the TO bearing. As far as the shifter? Take a look. Pull the boot, remove the rubber isolator and take a look. It could be several things. The guibo, the shift coupling, the shifter carrier bushings, the incorrect shifter assembly... If you didn't do this yourself, you really should document EVERYTHING you find...

In reality, the transmission probably has to come out to address the clutch shudder.

While it's out check the TO bearing arm, and pivot point. Check the slave cylinder. I used a new slave from a E36 325 to keep the same feel as the M3. A UUC flywheel and M5 clutch. I got a EURO E36 6 speed ssk from Rogue Engineering. In fact, other than the 420 trans, I used all new parts. (I rebuilt the Euro 6 speed driveshaft with new Joints and center support bearing.)
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    I purchased the car with the 6 speed swap, it has a irp body mount shifter v2, there is no boot or anything so I can hear all the noises from the transmission, so when I said I hear noises from the shifter I meant from under it like indside the bell housing, sorry if I was unclear about that, seems like I do need a new Throw out bearing so I'm gonna put a new clutch in while I'm there. Is that uuc flywheel and m5 clutch good for power? My power goals are around 5-550whp so I'm looking for a clutch that'll hold the power. Thanks for the advice btw

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    If I were to do it again, I wouldn't use a ltw flywheel. The transmission just makes too much noise when the AC is on at idle with the tranny in neutral. I'd stick with a dual mass flywheel. THe M5 clutch and pressure place should be fine up to 500 Hp, but I'd post up in the FI section for current thinking.

I would absolutely look at putting back the rubber plug if it will fit. Without it, you could be getting all sorts of water in the car if you drive in the rain.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Is the 500-550 rwhp from a supercharger or turbo? Turbos make more torque, which is what kills clutches. To handle around 500 lbs rwtq, you need a pretty serious clutch. None of the UUC singles would be good choices. Some puck clutches will hold it. The Southbend top of the line clutch will hold it. Ask in the FI subforum.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Sounds like a shifter/TO bearing.

Depending on how much power you want to make the I’d go with a southbend clutch kit, or dare I say it f1 stage 3 or 4 clutch kit.

Are you looking to turbo this car, or an Sc kit?

Btw also from Yonkers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 coupe
    Oh haha small world shqipe

I plan on turboing it thou, I was also looking at the DKM e46 m3 twin disk clutch kit that maximum psi sells, seems like a good kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea actually I've been looking for a boot that'll fit this shifter no one really makes anything for it

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    IRP rattles and transfers driveline noise quite badly. It’s not a good shifter for noise comfort. I found it annoying with a ZF 5-speed, can’t imagine this on a 420G which are inherently louder even when in optimal working condition.