Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Help! Installing Active Subwoofer into stock head unit

My Cars
    2014BMW 1 Series M Sport

Post Help! Installing Active Subwoofer into stock head unit

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good Christmas!

I’ve bought a cheap 10” Active Subwoofer (Edge 750 watt) from Halfords and want to get it installed into my 2014 1 Series M Sport (118D). The Halfords I got it from didn’t have a fitting team so I couldn’t get it installed by them in house. I’ve been told by a local garage that I can’t install it in my car as it’s got a factory head unit, but after doing a bit of my own research I’ve learnt that he probably just can’t be bothered because it’s not as straightforward as fitting it into an aftermarket stereo.

I haven’t been able to find anything definitive on wether it can be done on my particular model. Can anyone on here shed any light on this please? If it can be done, can you let me know what I’m going to need to buy to make it possible as well? I’ve got next to no clue about car maintenance so try and explain it to me in layman’s terms if possible haha!

Cheers!
    Last edited by CluelessBloke; 12-27-2019 at 06:27 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Do you have the manual for the subwoofer? What type of signal does it use for its audio input? It will likely be either line level (“RCA”) or speaker level. If it’s speaker level you can tap into the 2 wires going to a rear speaker. Then, use 4 or 8 gauge wire, preferably red, to get power directly from the battery. The ground cable, preferably brown or black, needs to be the same gauge as the power wire. DO NOT HOOK THE GROUND CABLE TO THE BATTERY. Doing so will result in the sub producing alternator whine and other crappy sounds. Connect the ground cable to the chassis as close to the sub as possible.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

I'd suggest you contact a local, reputable and knowledgeable car audio dealer/installer to have them do the work for you both properly and most importantly, safely as it sounds like you've not got any experience with installing 12V electronics into cars.

Depending on which oem audio setup your 1 series has, there'll be different ways to connect up the Edge subwoofer you've purchased & taking into account what Marco mentions above.

Where in the UK are you? I can give you recommendations based on that.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2014BMW 1 Series M Sport
    Hi Dennis,

I’m based in the S/W in Exeter. Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Marco,

Yes I’ve got the manual and everything as it’s brand new. I’ll check it when I’m back in the UK but as Dennis has said below I think I’m just gonna have to take the hit price wise and get it fitted by a professional as I’ve got idea when it comes to car maintenance (worst bloke ever I know haha). But thanks for your help I really appreciate it. If the garages are trying to charge loads then I’ll find out the info and I’ll try do it myself. Thanks again for the help!