Thread: Garage Computers

My Cars
    2001 740i E38

Garage Computers

So, garage computers...

I've been thinking about this for awhile now. Before now, I just used my laptop and re-synced files after each session. That got annoying after a few tuning sessions on my 20B RX7, but I ignored it as I had other priorities to deal with. But after getting my E38, the idea crept back into mind. It took center stage when we got the 750IL and I bought a K+DCAN cable and the PA Soft setup. Dragging out the laptop and associated cables, taking a log and then manually re-syncing the files onto my main computer became quite the aggravation and quickly at that. Got me wondering if there was a better way.

I'm a bit oldschool in that I still use a real fullsize keyboard/mouse and monitor with speakers and expect it to behave like an actual computer does, not an imitation of a phone. So I'm running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 with an additional external hard drive on a refurbished Lenovo system I found at Micro Center in 2014 for $100. A few months ago, after a massive re-sync of files between laptop and deskop, along with sd cards/usb flash drives I forgot I had, it was time to start designing the Ultimate Garage Information System

So here's the main points to be covered:
    1. Duplication of hardware/software adds unnecessary complexity
    2. Transferring files eats time and duplicates effort best put elsewhere
    3. Drawing schematics/designing parts/etc is something I do at the main system, but need access to in the Garage when I take measurements/data from the car
    4. Location flexibility in the garage is a must when dealing with PA Soft/K+DCAN stuff
    5. Keeping organized and tidy in the garage is a must
    6. Youtube, because how-tos and music!

Running cables would work, but it means being tethered to a fixed point. Not exactly ideal when tinkering around in PA Soft. Plus, it would only address points 1-3.

So we need to pipe video, audio, keyboard/mouse and a USB port while staying tidy and flexible. Video and Audio are easily done with a pair of wireless HDMI baluns and a spare wireless keyboard/mouse combo, but adding USB into the mix makes it difficult. Yes, you can use a pair of USB to Cat5 adapters, but you're still tethered to a fixed location by a physical cable. Turns out the ideal answer was created over 10 years ago. Ultra U12-40928 X-Connect Wireless Notebook Docking Station, new in box for $35 shipped on Ebay. An identical twin device is offered by Cables Unlimited as the USB-DD3000 Wireless Docking Station. I just chose the X-Connect one because it was $10 cheaper on Ebay.

Plug the "host" USB dongle into the desktop, the connect the other "remote" dongle to the appropriate garage devices. It has connections for video (DVI), Audio (1/8" stereo line) and two USB ports. Range is a claimed 30 feet, which will do the job. If need be, I can always run a USB to Cat5 adapter to the middle of the garage ceiling so the wireless range covers anywhere in the garage.

Now for the "money shot". An inexpensive service cart, DVI compatible monitor (or tv with HDMI adapter), spare USB hub, extra keyboard/mouse and a power strip. To make it 100% untethered, add a rechargeable battery and power inverter. Since my battery charger already lives on the cart, putting the rest on there makes perfect sense too.

Maybe I'll add a webcam and mic too. Imagine a livestream of me making a transmission gasket at 2am, there's nothing more riveting to watch than 3 hours of me cutting a piece of rubber-fiber sheet with an Xacto knife
    2001 740I M62TUB44: Iris, My daily
    1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4: Onyx, the 315k mile tow rig

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    So I received the X-Connect dock today and did a test run on my Window 7 laptop. With a DVI to VGA adapter, it saw my VGA interface monitor and did all of the configuration to clone the laptop's display to it, adjusting to 1024x768 resolution with no fuss. It's definitely Windows Vista-era hardware, and the Windows-based software accompanying it has that certain "put stuff anywhere" feel to it too.

With peripherals, it says that it only supports Keyboard/Mice. They do work, but this is USB, not PS/2... So I fed it a flash drive and it recognized it. Now I'm feeling bold and grab the PA Soft/BMW-Scanner cable. Bingo, it's there too!

Pop it over to my Ubuntu 18.04 desktop and it recognizes the hardware as "Olidata Wireless Multimedia Adapter" , but can't use it as of yet. Looking through the driver disc that came with it, it appears that it's two devices combined, a DisplayLink adapter (natively supported in Linux) and a Wireless USB "hub". Looked deeper and only found the unbreakable "double click me".EXE type installers. No "nuts and bolts" .INF files that could be converted to a Linux driver through NDISwrapper.

From my research, the chipset was made by WisAir Ltd, a semiconductor company in Tel Aviv, Israel that exported this exact same device under quite a few names including Olidata in Italy and the aforementioned Ultra Products/Cables Unlimited versions here.

Now there's a problem. Wisair is completely gone. Ultra Products is gone too. Both of their domains are dead. Cables Unlimited (now Cables2go) has no support materials for it anymore. Did some Google work and found an article about WisAir being in receivership in 2012. Might be a longshot, but I sent the author an email, asking if they had more info about it. Also, I emailed Olidata as it appears the device was originally made for them.

I know the Ubuntu 18.04 Kernal supports Wireless USB/UWB (was recently removed from future installers), but I'm not sure how to get it working. Anyone got some ideas? It sure seems like the perfect answer to have a lightweight mobile terminal in the garage that you can move anywhere on the fly. Perfect for doing wiring modifications and having to update your schematics on the spot.
    2001 740I M62TUB44: Iris, My daily
    1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4: Onyx, the 315k mile tow rig