Thread: Weird ticking sound and white smoke (video)

My Cars
    99 m3 dinan supercharger

Help: Weird ticking sound and white smoke (video)

E36 dinan supercharger

This sound only happen in two area when I drive over the weekend (on long drive) going uphill; and during daily driving the car drive normal with no issues.

Any suggestions of the causes? Occurred at 28 sec into the video. Then the sound goes away and no smoke and the car runs normal again. WTF?

Things I done so far is replace supercharger belt, new fuel pump, fuel filter, and MAF.

Sound like a valve?

https://streamable.com/s/93nf1/zfwrfs
    Last edited by SseeDragon; 12-24-2019 at 06:58 PM.

My Cars
    99 m3 dinan supercharger
    bump bump … any expert on here? =)
    1999 M3 Silver Vert| /// Dinan supercharger + Dinan intake + Dinan software + Dinan suspension + Dinan exhaust| style 32 wheels | alpina rear spoiler

Daily Diver: 2016 X1 | TBD
    1999 M3 Black Vert sold, 1997 M3/4 Arctic sold, 2007 X3 3.0si M sold, 2011 335i xdrive sold

My Cars
    are slow.
    Now that's weird.
    Do you feel any power loss when that happens?
    No I don't think it's a valve issue, that would be apparent at all times. The oil going uphill is pushed to the back of the pan, but the pickup on an S52 is in the back as well, so I doubt it's running dry.
    Going uphill makes me think you're putting a higher load on the motor than normal, could it be the fan hitting the shroud or something else hitting? Still unsure about the smoke.
    Are you sure the SC belt was the right length and the tensioner was on correctly?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    99 m3 dinan supercharger
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Now that's weird.
    Do you feel any power loss when that happens?
    No I don't think it's a valve issue, that would be apparent at all times. The oil going uphill is pushed to the back of the pan, but the pickup on an S52 is in the back as well, so I doubt it's running dry.
    Going uphill makes me think you're putting a higher load on the motor than normal, could it be the fan hitting the shroud or something else hitting? Still unsure about the smoke.
    Are you sure the SC belt was the right length and the tensioner was on correctly?
    I didn't notice any power loss but when the sound happen I ease off the gas peddle

Oil level seem low within 5k miles of the last oil changed; oil was cap off a few weeks ago and soon going to the shop again for more troubleshooting …

SC belt was replace because this might fix the issue but it did not per video; belt came from DINAN directly; tensioner look good per mechanic.
    1999 M3 Silver Vert| /// Dinan supercharger + Dinan intake + Dinan software + Dinan suspension + Dinan exhaust| style 32 wheels | alpina rear spoiler

Daily Diver: 2016 X1 | TBD
    1999 M3 Black Vert sold, 1997 M3/4 Arctic sold, 2007 X3 3.0si M sold, 2011 335i xdrive sold