Thread: Door won't open, possibly a unique issue?

My Cars
    2005 X5 4.8is

Door won't open, possibly a unique issue?

This is something I've been dealing with for about a month. I've searched and read every thread I could find online on this topic

Issue first started when I removed the door panel to apply sound deadening

When I re-installed everything, the interior door handle would only work about 50% of the time, but what would fix it is giving the door panel a solid wack/thud with an open palm. Bizarre right? But it worked. Until one day the door wouldn't open at all. The interior and exterior handles felt like nothing was catching, the same way it feels when you try to use them with the door locked.

So long story short, I got the door panel mostly off and was able to open the door by pull down on the mechanism where the louden cable attaches to the door lock and I replaced the lower cable. I also took off the upper cable and inspected it, seemed fine and re-installed everything. Again, worked fine for about a week and today randomly the door handles don't work again. Not from the inside or the outside. I've tried tugging and pushing on the door every which way I can while jerking the handles and nothing works.

Any ideas what it could be?

It's a 2004 3.0 with 129K miles

My Cars
    2001 525it
    So you have the inside handle out side handle and latch did it all work normally before you took it apart, if it worked fine then something you did when removing the door panel. Maybe the inside cable is not seated correctly or it's damaged

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbeast1 View Post
    This is something I've been dealing with for about a month. I've searched and read every thread I could find online on this topic

Issue first started when I removed the door panel to apply sound deadening

When I re-installed everything, the interior door handle would only work about 50% of the time, but what would fix it is giving the door panel a solid wack/thud with an open palm. Bizarre right? But it worked. Until one day the door wouldn't open at all. The interior and exterior handles felt like nothing was catching, the same way it feels when you try to use them with the door locked.

So long story short, I got the door panel mostly off and was able to open the door by pull down on the mechanism where the louden cable attaches to the door lock and I replaced the lower cable. I also took off the upper cable and inspected it, seemed fine and re-installed everything. Again, worked fine for about a week and today randomly the door handles don't work again. Not from the inside or the outside. I've tried tugging and pushing on the door every which way I can while jerking the handles and nothing works.

Any ideas what it could be?

It's a 2004 3.0 with 129K miles
    I would put money on the bowden cable. That is what the symptoms suggest.