Thread: 5 speed touring

My Cars
    99 528it black 99 528

5 speed touring

I have a chance to pick up a 2000 528it for about a thousand dollars if I play my cards right. My question is if I should or not. There is extensive rust on the tailgate and some on the body but no visible holes in the body. There is a what I would call a rip in the sheet metal in front of the passenger side wheel along the fender lip. It is about a half inch in length, might be a $2000 dollar fix by a shop. I feel I should save this car because of the rarity of it. I have been looking for a manual for a while. This would be a long term project car since I have 2 other long roofs as daily’s. Last 7 of vin is br95502 if that sheds some light on the car.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Rust is never good, I know I would not by a car with rust unless it was some cool vintage car but it's tough stuff to deal with

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I am sort of in the same boat. But I have decided E39 wagons from the rust belt, are just not worth it. I am looking for a fixer-upper from a dry state.

What I suggest you do is buy the car you see for the manual parts (pedals, clutch pipes/hoses, driveshaft, differential, shifter, and transmission), and part out the rest. Then find a newer, rust-free 525i (pref) or 528i wagon automatic and manual swap it, or pay a local indy mechanic to do it

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Tough to say. the tailgate is a bit of a bear. that is the only really weak point on the touring. The Tailgate rusts, and the hinges rust and seize. I am in the northeast, and HAD to have the one I found ( GN90428 ), and I found a used clean gate, and used hinges. Post pics if you can

My Cars
    '00 540iT
    I would stay away. Once you square away the cosmetics, you will still have to deal with maintenance and mechanical. Having a 5spd is nice, but not worth that much headache. The other option is to buy in cheap and just drive it and not fix it up. You'll find out if having a 5spd is worth it to you. You would then also have a donor car if you want to swap in to a good condition auto.

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    I have to agree with a lot of the posters here... but it is a personal value thing. If you want a swap kit, this makes great sense, but in order to do a 525iT you would still need a diff, for a 528iT this is perfect.

The native manual tourings are disappearing fast and clean ones are going way up in price, especially if they are low miles. I would make a game plan and stick to it, but the car you are describing sounds like it is worthy of being a swap kit at the least. I realize this is subjective, but tourings in colours are often valued a little higher. Reds, Blues, and Greens bring interest.

As much as I hate to see yet another one rust to bits and be parted, these cars are not worth enough money yet to justify a large spend to make one whole again... but that is the rational side speaking.
    Wade

My Cars
    CRX 328is X5 528iT5sp 19
    Pm’ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk