2013 328i, 2002 330i

E46 3&4 Misfires

Getting misfires on 3 & 4. Have done the following:

1. Checked coils
    2. Checked plugs
    3. Checked fuel pressure
    4. Changed intake manifold gasket
    5. Checked MAF

I'm thinking about picking up an ignition wiring harness from the pull a part for $15. If that doesn't work I'm out of ideas unless the DME isn't telling the coil to fire

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Try swapping coils/injectors to other cylinders and see if the miss follows them.
    If correct fueling and adequate spark* that leaves compression
    *confirm signals from DME
    Last edited by ross1; 12-15-2019 at 08:39 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2013 328i, 2002 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Try swapping coils/injectors to other cylinders and see if the miss follows them.
    If correct fueling and adequate spark* that leaves compression
    *confirm signals from DME
    Yeah swapped around coils and injectors and plugs. Stays on 3 and 4. Getting a No Ignition Spark code on 3 and 4 as well. Also pulled an ignition harness from the junkyard but the issue continues

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The coils (and injectors) get 12VDC as long as the ignition is in the run or start position. The DME provides the ground to fire the coils (and the injectors). The electronic component that momentarily provides the ground is called a complementary metal oxide substrate field effect transistor (MOSFET). Each coil (and injector) has its own MOSFET. If this coils aren’t firing I’d start by checking the harness with an ohm meter. Pull a coil’s connector, turn the ignition switch to run and see which pin has 12VDC. I don’t remember if there are 2 or 3 wires in the coil connector but one of them goes back to the MOSFET in the DME. Ohm out that wire. If the wires check out then the problem may be the MOSFETS. You’ll need to have an oscilloscope to see if the MOSFETs are bad. They are available at www.mouser.com.

My Cars
    2013 328i, 2002 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The coils (and injectors) get 12VDC as long as the ignition is in the run or start position. The DME provides the ground to fire the coils (and the injectors). The electronic component that momentarily provides the ground is called a complementary metal oxide substrate field effect transistor (MOSFET). Each coil (and injector) has its own MOSFET. If this coils aren’t firing I’d start by checking the harness with an ohm meter. Pull a coil’s connector, turn the ignition switch to run and see which pin has 12VDC. I don’t remember if there are 2 or 3 wires in the coil connector but one of them goes back to the MOSFET in the DME. Ohm out that wire. If the wires check out then the problem may be the MOSFETS. You’ll need to have an oscilloscope to see if the MOSFETs are bad. They are available at www.mouser.com.
    I picked up another harness from the pull a part but 3&4 still aren't firing so I might just send the DME off to get tested.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    See if you can find a shop with a portable oscilloscope. It will allow you to see the ground pulses coming from the DME.

Are you handy with a soldering iron? Open the DME cover and get the part numbers for the CMOSFETs. Order them from mouser. Alternatively, you can send it out for testing. If a CMOSFET is bad I’d have all of them replaced.

My Cars
    2013 328i, 2002 330i
    It was the DME. Acquired a new one that had the EWS deleted and the coils are firing now

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Great news!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisefird View Post
    It was the DME. Acquired a new one that had the EWS deleted and the coils are firing now
    Glad you got it sorted.
    Oil in the spark plug wells? Good "boots" on the coils? Either can kill coils and coil drivers in the DME.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue