Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LL-01 and LL-04 oil question

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan

LL-01 and LL-04 oil question

I came across “Pennzoil Euro L Full Synthetic” 5w-30 oil and my question is, can I put this in my 99-00 M52tu engine? I know my motor calls for LL-01 but the Pennzoil is rated LL-04, and didn’t know if LL-04 is ok to use with my older engine. I’ll post link with pics of the Pennzoil oil below.

https://imgur.com/gallery/UxOaZ8y

My Cars
    2000 728i; 2004 x3 3.0i;
    LL04 is rated higher than LL01 so you can use it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by osc911 View Post
    LL04 is rated higher than LL01 so you can use it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Came across this link when looking up more info, lmk what you guys think and what other options are there? I know people use Mobile 1 euro 0w-40 but nothing on the back does it have a stamp stating it’s LL-01 approved.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum..._backward_comp

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Castrol 5w40 has the LL01 on it but i use Castrol or Mobil1 0w40 depending what is available...

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    An Oil thread! Run Run the sky will be falling shortly!
    Bottom line:
    * Does it pour out of the bottle?
    * Was it blended by someone who has experience with maintaining standards batch after batch?
    * Does it have an SAE rating that meets the MIN standard of what was recommended back in 1998-2003?
    * Does the weight you are planning on using, meet the Min/Max TEMPs you will be experiencing in the next months as you drive?
    * Did you/ will you change the oil when hot?
    * Do you change the oil FREQUENTLY or do you wait until the MAX suggested mileage by the sales side of BMW? (See Long Life SAE standards)

Note: We all have 7 Qt capacity which will take longer to warm up to operating temps and will stay cleaner longer than say a 5 Qt oil system. Act accordingly.

Oil Services (be it Dino oil or Synthetics) is the cheapest maintenance you can do (Don't forget the filter too!).
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    An Oil thread! Run Run the sky will be falling shortly!
    Bottom line:
    * Does it pour out of the bottle?
    * Was it blended by someone who has experience with maintaining standards batch after batch?
    * Does it have an SAE rating that meets the MIN standard of what was recommended back in 1998-2003?
    * Does the weight you are planning on using, meet the Min/Max TEMPs you will be experiencing in the next months as you drive?
    * Did you/ will you change the oil when hot?
    * Do you change the oil FREQUENTLY or do you wait until the MAX suggested mileage by the sales side of BMW? (See Long Life SAE standards)

Note: We all have 7 Qt capacity which will take longer to warm up to operating temps and will stay cleaner longer than say a 5 Qt oil system. Act accordingly.

Oil Services (be it Dino oil or Synthetics) is the cheapest maintenance you can do (Don't forget the filter too!).

Um thanks for this?....

BUT, my initial reason to ask this specific question about LL-01 and LL-04 is to figure out what is APPROVED to their standards giving the facts that oil companies like to change formulas and affect their ratings. Like said example, Mobile 1 0w-40 no longer has the stamp of approval yet people still pour it into their cars.

And yes ive looked around on google but everything is either from 2010 to 2016 so the info is outdated and would like to get some recent information about the topic.

I'm simply trying to get more knowledge about bmw's so lets all be respectful and give helpful information to the ones that arent so seasoned in the bmw scene.

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoxs View Post
    BUT, my initial reason to ask this specific question about LL-01 and LL-04 is to figure out what is APPROVED to their standards giving the facts that oil companies like to change formulas and affect their ratings. Like said example, Mobile 1 0w-40 no longer has the stamp of approval yet people still pour it into their cars.
    An answer to your question:-

“For petrol engines, only BMW Longlife-04 and BMW Longlife-12 FE oils are permitted in Europe (EU plus Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein). They must not be used outside this area.”

Reference - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...engine/1PSryV8

Approved LL01 Oils:-

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ine/1VnYpiUbyG

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
    Is an invaluable source of BMW technical and repair information.

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieE39 View Post
    An answer to your question:-

“For petrol engines, only BMW Longlife-04 and BMW Longlife-12 FE oils are permitted in Europe (EU plus Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein). They must not be used outside this area.”

Reference - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...engine/1PSryV8

Approved LL01 Oils:-

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ine/1VnYpiUbyG

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
    Is an invaluable source of BMW technical and repair information.

Nice! Thanks for the time and helpful links!

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    How many oil threads do we need in forum?

My Cars
    1999 5281
    need or will we get?

My Cars
    99 M3
    LOL!!! Amazon (Amazon label) has API SN, ACEA A3/B3 rated oil
    Which is what LL-01 is/was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    How many oil threads do we need in forum?
    1 billion trillion??? One more or a few more a month or year isn’t going to hurt you sir, read past the thread and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
    need or will we get?
    More than likely more, and the more I become familiar with bmws I’ll contribute to informing the new bmwers.

My Cars
    '05 X3, 97 540i/6
    Infinity. We need infinity.
    BMW = Break My Wallet

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ojomo View Post
    Yes, just yes you sick individual!!!

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by ojomo View Post
    And beyond...
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieE39 View Post
    Nice list of LL-01 oils over on e46fanatics.
    https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1203793

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    Nice list of LL-01 oils over on e46fanatics.
    https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1203793
    Good thread with relatively recent list and info, thanks for the link.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    A little background info for newbies on Long Life Motors oils and BMW specs

What Are Recommended BMW Oil Specifications & Why Are They Important?

A LITTLE BMW OIL QUALITY STANDARD HISTORY

Understanding a little history regarding the advancements of motor oils may help you make the right choice when choosing your BMW engine oil. Before automobile manufacturers began establishing their own oil specification standards (1990s), many owner's manuals referenced an oil quality by the API standards. These sanctioning bodies, such as SAE (Society of American Engineers), API (American Petroleum Institute), and ACEA (European Automobile Manufacturers Association) were and are still responsible for establishing oil standards for motorized vehicles.
    There has been increased requirements for vehicle manufacturers worldwide to reduce emissions, minimize their carbon footprint, and improve fuel economy. It was around the late 1990s and early 2000s that more demanding motor oil quality standards began.
    Consequently, the development of new advanced internal combustion engine designs being engineered to meet these emission requirements and fuel mileage demands. Motor oil plays a crucial key role in meeting these requirements. Thus, new advanced cutting-edge BMW synthetic motor oil formulations were created. Around this time (mid 1990s) manufacturers began to establish their own unique oil quality standards and specifications rather than relying solely on API or ACEA standards to ensure the correct type of oil was being used in their engines. BMW has created very specific recommended oil formulas for their engines and around the mid 1990s - onward BMW models require a motor oil that meets a specific BMW motor oil quality standard or specification.

WHEN CHANGING BMW OIL, IT'S IMPORTANT TO USE FACTORY RECOMMENDED BMW OIL TYPE FOR YOUR SPECIFIC ENGINE

CAN I USE NON-APPROVED OIL THAT DOESN'T MEET BMW OIL QUALITY STANDARDS?

No, it's not recommended. Old petroleum-based motor oils are a thing of the past. BMW engine designs are too technologically advanced. All modern BMW engines are designed, engineered, and manufactured to exact tolerances using unique materials (alloys) to meet target performance requirements. Newer models also use advanced fuel injection and valvetrain systems that are lubricated using specific motor oil formulations to ensure optimal system reliability. These advanced engine and fuel injection systems must meet stringent emission requirements focusing on improving fuel economy without compromising engine performance. Therefore, exact BMW motor oil specifications were designed, are required, and should be used in your engine.
    It's also important to consider that many BMW oil change intervals are from 10,000 - 15,000 miles. Throughout these BMW oil change intervals, the motor oil must provide maximum lubrication and performance. Providing stable long-term lubrication protection for extended BMW oil change intervals can only be achieved when the designed and designated BMW motor oil quality specification is used.
    Using conventional motor oil that do not meet your needed BMW oil quality standard is very risky. Using the wrong motor oils will likely damage internal engine components, reduce fuel mileage, increase emissions, and can void applicable vehicle warranties. Consequently, it's important to use the proper BMW oil that states that it has been approved or meets your corresponding BMW oil quality standard.
    Factory Approved BMW oil is key to ensuring engine reliability, optimal fuel economy, and the demands of meeting today's emission standards.

HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT BMW OIL FOR YOUR MAKE

BMW OIL QUALITY STANDARDs

BMW Special Oil Spec: BMW Special oil is formulated for older BMW engines from around 1992 until 1997. Typically, this BMW formulation is a semi-synthetic SAE 10W-40 viscosity.
    BMW Longlife-98 Oil Spec (aka BMW LL98, Longlife 98, LL-98): BMW's first long-life engine oil. Usually required for BMW's gasoline engines manufactured before year 2002. Since then BMW has discontinued this option for motor oil and has superseded the BMW Longlife-98 spec to the Longlife-01 oil specification. However, some motor oil manufacturers still offer the BMW Longlife-98 formulation for those who still desire it.
    BMW Longlife-01 Oil Spec (aka BMW LL01, Longlife 01, LL-01): Formulated around the year 2002 for BMW gasoline engines. This formulation is a fully synthetic long-life motor oil and can also be used where a BMW Longlife-98 oil is recommended. This formula is always a fully synthetic engine oil with a variety of viscosity options such as SAE 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, and 5W-40.
    BMW Longlife-04 Oil Spec (aka BMW LL04, Longlife 04, LL-04): Formulated around 2004 for BMW diesel engines equipped with diesel particulate filter (DPF) exhaust systems. This formula is always a fully synthetic long-life oil with a variety of viscosity options available such as SAE 0W-30, 5W-30, and 5W-40.
    BMW Longlife-12FE Oil Spec (aka BMW LL12FE, Longlife 12FE, LL-12FE): This BMW motor oil specification was formulated around 2013 for both BMW diesel engines equipped with diesel particulate filter (DPF) exhaust systems and some gasoline engines. Recommended for BMW diesel engines from 2014. Recommended for BMW gasoline with three cylinder, four cylinder and six cylinder engines with one or no turbocharger. The BMW Longlife-12FE formulation is always a fully synthetic long-life oil with a viscosity of SAE 0W-30. The BMW Longlife-12FE motor oil should not be used in gasoline engines with multi turbo systems.
    BMW 10W-60 M Series Oil Spec: The BMW M Series oil quality standard is a formulation specifically for the BMW S85, S65, S62, and S54 M engines. It is formulated with racing technology to offer these high revving BMW M engines superior protection under the most demanding conditions and is always an SAE 10W-60 viscosity.

Want to know MORE?
    https://www.techstreet.com/api/stand...uct_id=1124486
    Crib sheet version: https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Ce...il%20Guide.pdf

Now I will stop feeding this oil string beast...
    Last edited by StephenVA; 12-14-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoxs View Post
    Yes, just yes you sick individual!!!
    Phenoxs,

You need to stop insulting people.
    Oil threads like this are all over the place.
    If you search the forum(s), you will get the info you need.

No need to start another oil thread and no need to insult people.

PS: pour in any decent synthetic and chances are you will be fine.
    All these LL-01 and LL-04 non-sense feeds into oil company pocket.
    Yes, while there is a difference between LL-01 and LL-04, however, in the real world with
    blow-by combustion products that are produced every second when the engine is running,
    the 2 most important things that one can do are:
    1. Avoid short trips.
    2. Oil change intervals: avoid interval > 7500 miles.

Even Walmart supertech synthetic oil is fine.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    I don't know what all the discussion is about. Just add oil to your engine and be done with it!

https://media.giphy.com/media/t7tp0MtbCfdoQ/giphy.mp4
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Phenoxs,

You need to stop insulting people.
    Oil threads like this are all over the place.
    If you search the forum(s), you will get the info you need.

No need to start another oil thread and no need to insult people.

PS: pour in any decent synthetic and chances are you will be fine.
    All these LL-01 and LL-04 non-sense feeds into oil company pocket.
    Yes, while there is a difference between LL-01 and LL-04, however, in the real world with
    blow-by combustion products that are produced every second when the engine is running,
    the 2 most important things that one can do are:
    1. Avoid short trips.
    2. Oil change intervals: avoid interval > 7500 miles.

Even Walmart supertech synthetic oil is fine.

Wasn’t insulting, was just adding to the sarcasm. Again I used search and only old threads that weren’t helpful so used the option to create a thread tailored to the information I’m wanting to know.

I don’t get all the fuss about creating a thread? It’s not using up you’re data space or time, read past the thread if you’re not wanting to contribute to it. Easy said and done.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Phenoxs; 12-14-2019 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    I'll stick with my Liquimoly 5w40. Found it works fine, price is ok, and using the green dye in one of their versions helps find oil leaks with their uv light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    I'll stick with my Liquimoly 5w40.
    And, if it’s one of these two it’s LL-01.
    Liqui Moly LEICHTLAUF 5W-40: https://products.liqui-moly.com/leic...h-5w-40-5.html
    Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40: https://products.liqui-moly.com/moly...n-5w-40-5.html

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Finally some good info added by StephenVA and Ed CT.
    Ed, I like this one better.....I'm surprised she knew how to open the hood.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/change-kind-oil-2K7K5oynVFXG
    Last edited by JimLev; 12-14-2019 at 03:26 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    I'll stick with my Liquimoly 5w40. Found it works fine, price is ok, and using the green dye in one of their versions helps find oil leaks with their uv light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    And, if it’s one of these two it’s LL-01.
    Liqui Moly LEICHTLAUF 5W-40: https://products.liqui-moly.com/leic...h-5w-40-5.html
    Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40: https://products.liqui-moly.com/moly...n-5w-40-5.html

I’ve read a lot about their products and see it’s used a lot in the bmw scene, only wish it was stocked in Walmart's or local auto parts stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast