Thread: Transmission/Driver adaptation reset with transmission Oil Change

My Cars
    2013 BMW 128i

Transmission/Driver adaptation reset with transmission Oil Change

Hello All,

I have seen so much discrepancy about this maintenance issue. Some people claim that when transmission oil is changed, the transmission adaptations should be reset. Others claim that "driver adaptations" should be reset. Some say that this can be accomplished by holding down the gas petal for 1 minute while the car is on but the engine is not running. Others claim that you should reset the transmission adaptations through a scanner interface. What's even more confusing is that to tune the transmission to new fluid, parts, etc, a certain driving procedure must be performed. If it is not, the transmission has a risk of failure. At the same time there are threads that claim that once the transmission adaptations are reset, simply drive the car as normal and the software will relearn everything (part changes and driver changes) automatically.

Could someone please describe the proper driver and/or transmission adaptation process for changing transmission fluid or parts? What should be reset exactly? How (pedal method or scanner)? Is there a certain driving procedure afterwards? I have a 2013 128i with a GA6L45R (GM brand?) transmission and a foxwell NT510 scanner that has some options for transmission adaptation resets. I just want to do everything safely and correctly as not to damage anything.

The main 2 reasons I am concerned is first of all, my transmission has shifted roughly since I bought the car at 30K miles (now at 70K). The dealership reassured me this was normal for the E82 and even gave me a car to test drive with the same transmission. It shifted worse than mine. My car was under full warranty so I figured there was no reason for them to lie. The other reason is people claim that a "life-long" transmission fluid does not exist and that BMW's "lifetime" rating is 100K. Many change their oil before that. So I would simply like to perform the preventive maintenance myself and possibly make my shifts smoother.

Thank you ahead of time!
    Andrey

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved to the model specific sub-forum.

This thread is about changing the trans fluid or not. Possibly of interest to you. BTW, please refrain from posting copies throughout the forum. One hopefully will get your answer. Four posts is too much. Thanks!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    100k mike fluid+filter changes are certainly waaaay too long. 50k miles is more like it. As far as resetting adaptations, it’s not necessary. Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. The shop
    will have all if the BMW proprietary software to properly diagnose your car.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    100k mike fluid+filter changes are certainly waaaay too long. 50k miles is more like it. As far as resetting adaptations, it’s not necessary. Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. The shop
    will have all if the BMW proprietary software to properly diagnose your car.
    Thanks for the response! I am currently at 66K and plan on performing the flush soon. I agree that 100K is too long. I have seen others say that resetting adaptations is not necessary but if you change fluids and filter supplier, wouldn't you want your transmission to shift gears based on the new resistance and viscosity the oil/filter provide? Even if you go with BMW branded fluid and filter you'd think the new oil would perform differently than the old.

Have you seen any posts or information on the proper adaptation reset procedure? I'm trying to perform the service myself both since it's expensive at local shops and I like to get my hands dirty.

Thanks!
    Andrey

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Audrey, I’ve never read in any of the bimmer forums to which I belong the need to clear automatic transmission adaptations after a fluid and filter change or a transmission fluid flush.