Thread: Misfiring in 5,6,7,8 cylinders

My Cars
    2006 330i, 2007 550i

Misfiring in 5,6,7,8 cylinders

--Misfiring in 5,6,7,8 cylinders--
    The car was running fine except for what I thought might be a leaky injector due to a slightly rough idle and non-oil smoke and a few error codes related to that. I took the injectors out and had them ultrasonically cleaned, replaced the filterbaskets and seals on the injectors, and had the injectors tested (I was there and witnessed the test, so they definitely work). (As a side note, quite a bit of the fuel in the injector rails leaked down onto the engine and totally missed my towel, just in case this could damage anything.) I reassembled everything and am having a misfire on multiple cylinders. I replaced the sparkplugs at the same time, but pulled a plug on one of the misfiring cylinders to make sure there was actually a spark mark on the plugs since they were brand new, which there was. I also unplugged the valvetronic, and the rough idle became less noticeable, but was still there...so my assumption is it's not the valvetronic. All the misfires are on the driver side of the engine...so I am stumped.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!!!

What doesn't work
    1) Reseating or switching coils around
    2) Using the old spark plugs
    3) Disconnecting valvetronic

What I did that caused the issue:
    1) Removed, cleaned, tested, and replaced the injectors (I did not recode them yet)
    2) Replaced the sparkplugs

Here are the current symptoms:
    1) Misfiring
    2) Smoother idle at 1k, but will barely run when rpm reduces after starting, but will stay in a more runable state with valvetronic unplugged (although I doubt it's the issue)
    3) If I depress the gas pedal when running, almost nothing happens...I have to feather it to increase RPM

Codes:
    P0300 - Random misfire
    P0305 - Cylinder 5 misfire
    P0306 - Cylinder 6 misfire
    P0307 - Cylinder 7 misfire
    P0308 - Cylinder 8 misfire

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Swap coil pack 1 for 6.

Verify plug gap.

No change? Run the engine with coil pack 6 out with spare plug in pack (ground electrode). No spark?

Does the engine run fine at higher rpm?

Perform a compression test. No dead holes?

Pull a wiring diagram and inspect continuity from coil pack to DME. Inspect integrity of wiring harness.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 330i, 2007 550i
    There is spark. I cleared all the codes and did the valvetronic re-learn in ISTA. The engine does not run fine at higher RPM. In regards to the compression test, I don't think that would even be an issue because it was running good before I did the injector clean. I have have tried. I tried disconnecting the MAS, and it changes nothing. I turned off valvetronic in ISTA and the problem is still there.

My Cars
    BMW 550i e60
    Quote Originally Posted by Fladventurerob View Post
    There is spark. I cleared all the codes and did the valvetronic re-learn in ISTA. The engine does not run fine at higher RPM. In regards to the compression test, I don't think that would even be an issue because it was running good before I did the injector clean. I have have tried. I tried disconnecting the MAS, and it changes nothing. I turned off valvetronic in ISTA and the problem is still there.
    which brand and tipe of spark plugs you use?

Enviado desde mi SM-A205G mediante Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alfre550i; 12-18-2019 at 09:37 AM.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Did you swap coils? If coil pack 1 went to 6 and 6 still misfires, then it is the plug, injectors, injector drivers (DME), coil signal (DME), or wiring fault. Do you have ISTA or INPA to diagnose?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport/95 525iT
    Misfires can also be caused by vacuum leaks. On the older 5 Series, this was frequently the case with the source being the crankcase ventilation system.
    2003 540i M Sport 6 spd, 97 328iC 5 spd w/M Lux Package, 95 525iT w/M52 5 spd swap, 2008 R1200GS Adventure, 92 Celica All Trac Turbo

My Cars
    2006 330i, 2007 550i
    Update -- please see this thread with pertinent information. I started a new one because I didn't want any old info confusing the issue: https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...e-help-150412/

My Cars
    You're not supposed to start a new thread on the same issue. It's advised to continue the same thread so that all the pertinent information will be available and contained in one thread.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2006 530i Bmw
    Try vanos solenoids degrease or replace. Cheap fix and is usually the problem.

My Cars
    1999 mustang gt
    You checked for a spark mark but not actual spark? I would check for actual spark at the misfiring coils. With a spark tester set it to at least 30 Kv or with a test light it should have roughly an inch of spark. Have to rule spark out properly.

Just misfire codes?

I don't know how severe the misfire is but just to be sure check that all the coil and injector connectors are plugged in the right cylinder. It sounds dumb and yeah you should have popping noise but it can happen and it can look 100% like its routed properly when its not. Reference the connectors with a wiring diagram. If it was running ok before usually its something you did wrong when you put it back together. Happens to everyone.
    Last edited by pimpmyride101; 02-25-2020 at 08:25 PM.