Thread: 2019 740i Questions and Suggestions

My Cars
    1992 318I & 2019 740I

2019 740i Questions and Suggestions

Took delivery of my new car and have some questions about options.

There are many safety features such as the front collision system. It also has the lane departure system. I can feel when this kicks in. However, how can I tell if the front collision avoidance system is working without risking an accident.

Also, when I put car in reverse, only one of the side view mirrors tilt downward. I my previous cars, both mirrors tilted. Is this normal.

I have the seven buttons that I can program. Any suggestion for good use of these buttons?

Love the car but the owners manual and brief dealer train leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks for any help,

Greg Shah
    Greg Shah

'92 318IC
    '80 Fiat Spider
    '19 740i

Canton, Ohio

My Cars
    Only the passenger side mirror tilts. Not the driver side. This can also be turned off by moving the mirror switch to the right position.

Not really a good way to test the system without risking an accident. But there will be a time when it will work and you will be thankful.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    In regards to the forward collision warning...I'd go into iDrive and check to see if early warning is checked off. This may give you a chance to see how the visual and audible warnings appear.

And you can see how I have my "programmable button" selections set below with my CIC system (so your's will look somewhat different). How or what you set is totally a personal choice based on info you'd like to see or access. In past threads on this topic...owners may have multiple phone contacts or nav addresses (spouse/children/work/parents/favorite carry-out restaurant/etc):

1. My personal list of presets (my version of CIC/NBT allows you to save up to 30 stations (AM/FM/SiriusXM) in the order of your preference so I saved my presets to this 1 button and can pull up the list in one swell swoop. You can also use voice command to bring it up to...then use the scroll button on the steering wheel to make a selection of which station you want to listen to. (SEE 1ST PIC BELOW)
    2. Climate screen for iDrive that allows you to turn on the parked car ventilation or select 1 of the 2 "timed" parked car ventilations. I do this on very hot days after running the AC and pulling into my garage where it will be dark and no air circulation. This is the perfect conditions for spawning bacteria and mold which causes that funky smell when you first turn on the AC. Drying out the AC evaporator by running the blower for up to 30 minutes after parking...reduces the conditions that spawn the bacteria. . (SEE 2ND PIC BELOW)
    3. Split Screen selection that puts the nav map on the right and ENTERTAINMENT info on the left (SEE 3RD PIC BELOW)
    4. Split Screen selection that puts the nav map on the right and the OBC info on the left (SEE 4TH PIC BELOW)
    5. TPMS screen
    6. Sport Display
    7. Blank
    8. Nav destination for home (in case I'm somewhere unfamiliar and need to get home...I don't have to ask for directions back to the main local streets that are familiar (or back to the interstate or state highway if out of town/out of state).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1992 318I & 2019 740I
    Thanks for the suggestions. I figured the best place to get good advice was from current owners.

Greg
    Greg Shah

'92 318IC
    '80 Fiat Spider
    '19 740i

Canton, Ohio

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Shah View Post
    Took delivery of my new car and have some questions about options ...

There are many safety features such as the front collision system. It also has the lane departure system. I can feel when this kicks in. However, how can I tell if the front collision avoidance system is working without risking an accident.

The same way you can tell if your airbag is working: If it's not working, there will be a warning light. You don't worry that your airbag won't work when it needs to, don't worry about the collision avoidance system, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.