Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Thinking about planning out an audio project for the winter on my e46

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan

Thinking about planning out an audio project for the winter on my e46

Alright, so I've dabbled a little bit with audio, having installed several head units and door speakers but I'm thinking about doing something a little more substantial this time. Actually I've wanted to do do something like this for a while but as with the rest of the car I want to keep this project low key. Luckily the prior owner had installed an after market head unit which simplifies the buying processes for parts, unfortunately it's a JVC and Delta don't do JVC. Shoot me some suggestions on where to go but here's what I've got now in broad view planning.

Head Unit: Kenwood KMM-BT525HD
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMB...M-BT525HD.html

I'd like to do something with a 5 channel amp, but I don't know that area too well and I'd like to do a spare tire sub as well. Obviously I'll be looking at speakers too, not looking for competition quality or anything, just want a better overall sound with more range and clarity. What would you recommend?
    Last edited by DeltaDConstruct; 12-11-2019 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I’ve always been partial to Alpine. Alpine supplied the head units and amps to the facelift E46s (2003 on). I installed an all Alpine system in my E30 years ago.

The first step is to set up a budget. Include a15% reserve in case you run into issues.

Next, divide up the budget by the different audio subsections:
    - head unit
    - amp
    - speakers
    - wiring
    - tuning (if the amp has digital signal processing)
    - miscellaneous.

I recommend that the you set aside 40% for the speakers. Why? Modern quality audio head units and amps are differentiated by their bells and whistles. Their basic quality, as long as you stick with known manufacturers, is fairly high. In home audio the speakers are typically allotted 50%.

Check out the audio diy websites such as https://www.diymobileaudio.com/. Those folks have a lot of experience and knowledge that can be helpful.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    I’ve always been partial to Alpine. Alpine supplied the head units and amps to the facelift E46s (2003 on). I installed an all Alpine system in my E30 years ago.

The first step is to set up a budget. Include a15% reserve in case you run into issues.

Next, divide up the budget by the different audio subsections:
    - head unit
    - amp
    - speakers
    - wiring
    - tuning (if the amp has digital signal processing)
    - miscellaneous.

I recommend that the you set aside 40% for the speakers. Why? Modern quality audio head units and amps are differentiated by their bells and whistles. Their basic quality, as long as you stick with known manufacturers, is fairly high. In home audio the speakers are typically allotted 50%.

Check out the audio diy websites such as https://www.diymobileaudio.com/. Those folks have a lot of experience and knowledge that can be helpful.
    I talked to a crutchfield agent yesterday about a good setup, I don't think he understood that I wanted it to remain stock looking but he gave me some really good products to look into. I think I'm going to be going with an Alpine CDE-172bte to start with and work out from there. I'll probably go with a full sized amp when I get to that point but I'll be trying to figure out how to get my speakers set up first. The Infinity Kapa systems look pretty damn good, I just want to find a way to make mid-low speakers work without making them look out of place.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Be advised that the factory amp uses balanced differential signals as its inputs. Voltage wise these are between line level (aka RCA) and speaker level signals.

Are the Kappa woofers 6.5” or 5.5”?

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    I believe the Kappas are 6.5 and the rears are going to be converted to 2in low mids.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    That means you’ll have to cut the front doors. Check the underside of the rear package shelf. The metal may be pre-punched for the HK subs.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    I really don't want to cut, so I'll see what other direct fit options are out there. I know the Kappa's come in 5.5 and 6.5 so I'll see if that's an option.