Thread: Good how to link for swap out the struts and shocks on 97 328i convertible

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert

Good how to link for swap out the struts and shocks on 97 328i convertible

Title says what I am looking for. Searching for these things is like finding a dime you lost in a field.

Thanks

See my last post.
    Last edited by catimann; 03-11-2020 at 11:40 AM.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    If you need a video for a strut and shock swap.. You should pay someone elae to do it and stay away from cars.. However, if this is your first few diy project.. Its pretty straight forward and the same as non verts, coupes, and sedans.
    Jack the car, Jack stands. Take wheel off. Unbolt 3 bolts at base of strut. Unbolt 3 nuts ontop of strut... Put in new strut the same way.

Back shocks... No need to remove wheel. Unbolt bottom bolt. Unbolt 2 top bolts in trunk. Same to install.

My Cars
    99 M3

Good how to link for swap out the struts and shocks on 97 328i convertible

Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    If you need a video for a strut and shock swap.. You should pay someone elae to do it and stay away from cars.. However, if this is your first few diy project.. Its pretty straight forward and the same as non verts, coupes, and sedans.
    Jack the car, Jack stands. Take wheel off. Unbolt 3 bolts at base of strut. Unbolt 3 nuts ontop of strut... Put in new strut the same way.

Back shocks... No need to remove wheel. Unbolt bottom bolt. Unbolt 2 top bolts in trunk. Same to install.
    + 1 - pretty simplistic view!!! LOL!!!

I do remove rear wheel.

Search the web lots of videos

Look at Pelican Parts website tech.

Use e46M3 Convertible Rear Shock Mounts w stock dia Shock shafts.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-18-2019 at 09:01 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    YouTube
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi

There are a few more steps than that, changing the springs over to the new struts, getting the nut off the strut shaft without the shaft turning, accessing the shock mounts.
    Last edited by jmo69; 12-11-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Thats if you didnt buy loaded struts... In which case, not a first timers diy. Also.. Pretty sure you have to find the bolts in order to dissemble them, so its implied.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Thats if you didnt buy loaded struts... In which case, not a first timers diy. Also.. Pretty sure you have to find the bolts in order to dissemble them, so its implied.
    LOL!!! Never seen ‘loaded’ struts for E36 in the quality level I seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    Do a search on Youtube for E36 shock strut replacement. You will get every answer you are looking for. It is very easy as long as you follow the instructions and get a good cordless electric 1/2" impact wrench.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert
    I finished this job after life got in the way for a few months. The above info (from the first reply) is a bit short on detail and not complete. If you follow the Bently manual there is one thing missing to make strut removal easy. The control arm to sway bar connection nut is the key here. Then the control arm comes down once the strut is disconnected. One nut saves a lot of F'g around.
    To crack the top nut that holds the spring on I just used an electric impact tool I borrowed. Put a mark on the strut plunger and gave short hits on the trigger. Once it was cracked it was a simple matter to get the spring compressed and take it apart. Putting it back together needed it to be torqued. The crow foot I bought had too thick walls so it was useless. I took a 22mm socket and ground two flat sides for a 1" wrench to fit. The torque wrench would not fit so I used the 1" wrench and a hand luggage weigh scale. That I tested to find the right torque with a torque wrench to be certain the dial was good. I was surprised to see it was. You have to hold the allen key somehow the wrench and then pull with the scale but it can be done alone.
    i have a vert so the rear was a bit of a pain as I had to get the hard top off first and then go at it. Needed the neighbours for that but otherwise it is an easy one person job. A pry bar and pipe along with the half shaft disconnected at the dif. let me exchange the springs easily. The H&R springs were not finished as nice as the M springs that were in there so I had to grind the ends a bit flat to get a better fit. Did that in shots to make sure not to overheat them.
    Last edited by catimann; 03-11-2020 at 11:40 AM.