Thread: Did nav retrofit on a pre LCI and have a question

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i

Did nav retrofit on a pre LCI and have a question

IMG_0179.jpg

SO the donor for my center console was an 2001 and in the center console the ASC/DSC and seat warmer buttons are not a large module like the facelift car

if I wanna swap the module over to the facelift one do I need to also swap the seats over to maintain the seat warmers

Otherwise my only thought to fit them back up was to 3d print some separators to fit up and glue into the hole in order to get the buttons to mount up .... these random pieces floating around are driving me insane
    I like to pretend I know stuff

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by zarboz View Post
    IMG_0179.jpg

SO the donor for my center console was an 2001 and in the center console the ASC/DSC and seat warmer buttons are not a large module like the facelift car

if I wanna swap the module over to the facelift one do I need to also swap the seats over to maintain the seat warmers

Otherwise my only thought to fit them back up was to 3d print some separators to fit up and glue into the hole in order to get the buttons to mount up .... these random pieces floating around are driving me insane

look in ebay and find the one that has the correct amount of holes or just take the ones you have and dont plug them in
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    That picture leaves me with 1 big question: That looks like a stock 16:9 nav display, but what the heck is being displayed on it?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
    That picture leaves me with 1 big question: That looks like a stock 16:9 nav display, but what the heck is being displayed on it?
    This was my question. Looks like Android or something on the monitor. Please share, as the best way I've managed to do this with the stock stuff is using a TV module and mirroring my phone...and that's less than ideal.

OP in regards to the frame, you need a nav frame from a prefacelift car. When I did my retrofit circa 2010, I just bought one new since there weren't many prefacelifts floating around the yards that came with nav.
    Last edited by racer2086; 12-10-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    look in ebay and find the one that has the correct amount of holes or just take the ones you have and dont plug them in
    I had no idea the pre LCI came with nav I just happened to have a 2001 sitting in my lot I pulled an engine out of a few months ago that had navigation so it made a good donor for the frame and the BMBT

Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    This was my question. Looks like Android or something on the monitor. Please share, as the best way I've managed to do this with the stock stuff is using a TV module and mirroring my phone...and that's less than ideal.

OP in regards to the frame, you need a nav frame from a prefacelift car. When I did my retrofit circa 2010, I just bought one new since there weren't many prefacelifts floating around the yards that came with nav.

uhh... its complex.... hahaha

Long story short

Stock head unit > raspberry pi stuffed inside that interfaces with the car......

Short story long.....

I took a stock BMBT retrofitted a 720p LCD into it that has the picture fed from a raspberry pi running Kodi as well as custom software written by a forum member (same software is capable of NBT emulation stuffs I stumbled across it via google which oddly enough is how I found the forums here. LOL googling for e39 nbt retrofit is how i started on this quest) the software uses the Reslers Ibus interface as well as a CANbus shield to interface with the MFL / BMBT and other stuffs inside the car. I have comfort turn signals as well as automatic headlights. I also can do things like manipulate the offset of my speedometer and change the ratio of the gear shifts.

instagram.com/sbtoonz
    and
    instagram.com/hotgarbagellc

I think i have some video I recorded the other day sitting at a stop light to show my buddy

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/51168175064/

Looks like ECS sells the thing i need

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-8...uine-bmw-part/

So does turner

I really need to start looking on RealOEM hahah
    Last edited by zarboz; 12-10-2019 at 03:54 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    Quote Originally Posted by zarboz View Post
    Long story short
    Stock head unit > raspberry pi stuffed inside that interfaces with the car......

Short story long.....

I took a stock BMBT retrofitted a 720p LCD into it that has the picture fed from a raspberry pi running Kodi as well as custom software written by a forum member (same software is capable of NBT emulation stuffs I stumbled across it via google which oddly enough is how I found the forums here. LOL googling for e39 nbt retrofit is how i started on this quest) the software uses the Reslers Ibus interface as well as a CANbus shield to interface with the MFL / BMBT and other stuffs inside the car. I have comfort turn signals as well as automatic headlights. I also can do things like manipulate the offset of my speedometer and change the ratio of the gear shifts.

I think i have some video I recorded the other day sitting at a stop light to show my buddy
    Sounds interesting. Are there more details about this Kodi-fied Navigation witchcraft?
    2001 740I M62TUB44: Iris, My daily
    1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4: Onyx, the 315k mile tow rig

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    Realistically I do technology for a living.

To me it was easier to justify 40$ raspberry pi and 30$ LCD screen with a 20$ usb interface to have a full featured sound system in the car.

I know Kodi is not IDEAL for car usage but i have a few playlists set up that I use when I am in the car in order to just make switching songs easier

It took some light modification of the screen carriage frame to stuff the 7 inch LCD inside of it

I ran the ribbon for the LCD panel underneath where the tape cassette opening is and placed the controller for the LCD where the tape deck carrier used to be

I used the 12v hot from the actual headunit to power the LCD's controller board so that the entire LCD assembly was contained within the BMBT itself..Untitled.jpg

Then I CAREFULLY stuffed the raspberry pi inside. I am using the hifiberry DAC card to transmit the audio to the DSP amplifier maintaining a 44.1khz playback rate and all DSP functionality (I can live tune my DSP from a web page that runs off the pi...)

I didnt write any of this software I literally stumbled upon it

github.com/kmalinich << this is the author of the software

The software listens to the iBus and intercepts button pushes from the nav unit and steering wheel to pass them onto Kodi for things such as volume up and down
    forward and reverse track
    fast forward and rewind track
    pause track

I am working on coding in a way to use the microphone that is in the car to take my calls over blue tooth as well, I know t3d is making something like this but his is geared towards a slightly different end goal than myself.

I also have the raspberry pi wired into the Canbus of the car in order to intercept things like speedometer calculations and gear change ratios
    within the use of this software I could theoretically alter the ratio of the gear shift changes (havent played with it yet)
    also I can pass new speedometer offsets to the Cluster using all 4 wheel speed sensors instead of just the 1 that BMW uses
    With the CANbus i can listen for iDrive controller commands (the little touch screen knob thing in the new bmws with NBT) it will also parse the input from the idrive knob to Kodi for menu navigation directions and mouse control etc

I didn't think anyone would really be after replicating this as it was a decent level of custom stuff but it could be replicated

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Very nice work! Not sure if I could deal with Kodi as my interface though. Would be interesting to run a ROM similar to what some of the android headunits use.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Very nice work! Not sure if I could deal with Kodi as my interface though. Would be interesting to run a ROM similar to what some of the android headunits use.

I sippose you could use a diff board and run android and then use the ibus.de app to tie the android into your ibus and control the head unit