Thread: Poor radio reception. Two channels simultaneously - E93

My Cars
    2000 750iL, 1989 320i

Poor radio reception. Two channels simultaneously - E93

I have problems with the radio reception on my E93. With the roof down there is no problem, but with the roof up there is sometimes very poor reception. It can go from working without any problem, to suddenly starting to bluster. From time to time I also receive two channels "simultaneously". When the reception is poor, one could describe it as someone standing and holding a hand i front of a speaker. It may also be worse when I turn the steering wheel.

Has anyone had something similar?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    IIRC, the antenna for the convertible is under the package shelf, so when the top is up, there is the metal framework surrounding it. If you're near the edge of the range of the station you're listening to, then I doubt there's anything you can really do to improve it.

The antenna amplifier's job is to discern which signal is the strongest for the frequency you've chosen. If you're receiving 2 stations simultaneously, the issue is that you're in the overlapping area of those two stations and the antenna can't tell which is closer to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    My E93 provides different results.

The antenna disappears (or at least the reception does) when I put the hard-top in the trunk.

Further exasurbating this is the LED lights I chose, which impacts reception, even with the top up.
    And with the LED blinker on, poor stations got static/clear with the blink. (strong stations are OK)

Totally worth it for me. I love the visibility of my aftermarket LED lights. Not for 'cool', but for visibility and safety.

My Cars
    2000 750iL, 1989 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    IIRC, the antenna for the convertible is under the package shelf, so when the top is up, there is the metal framework surrounding it. If you're near the edge of the range of the station you're listening to, then I doubt there's anything you can really do to improve it.

The antenna amplifier's job is to discern which signal is the strongest for the frequency you've chosen. If you're receiving 2 stations simultaneously, the issue is that you're in the overlapping area of those two stations and the antenna can't tell which is closer to you.
    Thanks! It is very uncommon that I receive 2 stations simultaneously actually, but it happens from time to time. It's just the overall poor reception that is annoying me.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    So, you haven't swapped any resistive daytime running lights for LED, at all, even License Plate light?

My Cars
    2000 750iL, 1989 320i
    Yes! The license plate light are LED actually.