Thread: Wiper problem

My Cars
    02 540ia and 01 540iaT

Wiper problem

Hello. I am working on a 2002 540i sport. The wipers have been very sluggish for the last few months and stopped working and so did the windshield washer pump. So far.

Checked the fuses in the glove box.
    Replaced the tan wiper Relay with a new one.
    The washer pump started working after the new tan relay. Wipers did not move.
    Removed the wiper motor and the Wiper arm linkage moved tried freely. The old motor would not move.
    Tried plugging in a used wiper motor without linkage and nothing
    The codes are and I tried to reset a few times.
    GM relay for for wiper motor open circuit
    GM changeover relay stage 1/2 for wiper motor open circuit

Any ideas on what steps to try next?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You could test both wiper motors to see if there actually dead just apply 12 volts to the right terminals on the motor and test the plug for the motor for power

My Cars
    02 540ia and 01 540iaT
    I do not have power at the plug that goes into the wiper

- - - Updated - - -

Even with the wiper motor disconnect the two error messages remain. I tried a second tan Wiper relay from a working car and the wipers do not work. With the wiper relay removed, what terminal do you check?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Are you handy with circuit schematics?
    These two will enable you to walk through the diagnosis.
    WiperSchematic2.jpg

WiperSchematic1.jpg

Post back if you need some guidance.
    Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    02 540ia and 01 540iaT
    I would appreciate some guidance. Not not had many electrical issues in my past repairs. Where do u start testing. I have a multi meter.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by speedracer M View Post
    I would appreciate some guidance. Not not had many electrical issues in my past repairs. Where do u start testing. I have a multi meter.
    First a couple of plug/connector images
    Wiper relay
    WiperRelayConnector.jpg

Wiper Motor
    WiperMotorConnectorA.jpg

The first thing I'd do is pull the wiper relay and check for B+ (~12V) on pin 2 in the connector. This is unswitched, full time B+ via F1 in the glovebox. F1 gets voltage/current from F110 under the carpet in the right (passenger) footwell. Given the faults you mentioned in post #1, I suspect you'll find 0 volts.
    If it is 0 volts at the relay plug, check F1 in the glovebox (I know, already done than, but humour me) If the fuse is good, check voltage in the two slots for F1. One of them should have B+. If no volts, you'll have to lift the carpet for a look at F110. I'd be amazed if F110 is a problem, LOTS of stuff wouldn't be working if F110 is kaput. Anyway, CNN/CN90 wrote an excellent DIY for F107 which is in the same fuse block. If you do find B+ in the F1 slot there is a broken wire between the glovebox and the wiper relay to find and fix.

In all these above, look carefully into the plastic connectors to ensure the metal terminals inside haven't been pushed back so the fuse or relay blades aren't making contact.

If in the first step you do find B+ at the relay connector, then jump from pin/slot 2 to pin/slot 4 in the connector. The wiper motor should run.

Report back what you find & we'll figure out next steps.
    Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    02 540ia and 01 540iaT
    Appreciate the advise. No power to the relay, so I went to the fuse panel. Found the issue, fuse 1 that powers the wipers was cracked. The free fuse tester that comes with a fuse pack showed a working fuse because it would light up, but i guess it would not pass enough power to the wipers.

Pulled the fuse and thought I saw a tiny hairline crack, so I tried a new fuse. Hope this helps someone else. Spent an embarrassing amount of time on this problem.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    I'm happy to hear you've found the fault. And that it was easy to correct - it could have been much worse.
    Although annoying to take so much effort to find the cause, in your defense the fuse tester gave misleading results. And as you point out, you were sharp enough to catch the crack. So in the end not so much embarrassing as a lesson learned ... and the kind that no-one is likely to forget.
    Regards
    RDL

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 4.6
    On a slight different issue and i do sincerely apologize.

I appreciate any assistance render here. Just need to know what is the BLACK item on this Wiper linkage rod call/name and whats the part number, for
    BMW X5 3.0si M53 2003 RHD. Photo attached.

Mine has broken and its like going through hell searching high and low in google but cant find any.

Regards,

BMW X5 3.0i M53 2003 Wiper Linkage Rod.jpg