Thread: Sqeaky noise when taking foot off accelerator at low speeds

My Cars
    2019 430i

Sqeaky noise when taking foot off accelerator at low speeds

Hello all, looking for some advice on here. My 6 month old 430i is making a squeaking noise when I take my foot off the accelerator at low speeds (approximately 10 mph). I began hearing it within 2 months of leasing the car. I’ve taken it into the local dealership I leased it from 3 times already, and my car has been with them for over a month among these 3 visits. With the exception of all but one time, they claim they don’t hear the noise when they take it for test drives. I’ve taken it for a test drive with the service advisor who heard the noise with me. After I spoke to the service manager this last time, they claim that a BMW engineer came out on two occasions while my car was in the shop, but they weren’t able to hear it. I have videos of the squeaking noise and have handed it over to them on each visit. Each time I pick up my car from them, I hear the noise again within a couple days and have recorded more videos since the last time I went in. At this point, I don’t know what else to do or how many more times I need to take the car in for them to fix it. Has anyone encountered this before? Should I speak with the GM or escalate it to BMWNA? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Last edited by annoyed2; 12-09-2019 at 03:07 AM.

My Cars
    Where is the noise coming from? What is making the noise? Have they actually repaired anything?

Noises are some of the hardest and trickiest things to repair. Especially if it doesn't make the noise all the time, every time. Do you just expect them to throw parts at the car until something makes it go away? I'm on the other side of the coin as you. I'm the guy who's expected to fix every little squeak, rattle, pop, click, etc. You have to remember, cars are mechanical machines made up of thousands of moving parts. It's not always easy. Especially when noises only happen while driving and can't be reproduced in the shop.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2019 430i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Where is the noise coming from? What is making the noise? Have they actually repaired anything?

Noises are some of the hardest and trickiest things to repair. Especially if it doesn't make the noise all the time, every time. Do you just expect them to throw parts at the car until something makes it go away? I'm on the other side of the coin as you. I'm the guy who's expected to fix every little squeak, rattle, pop, click, etc. You have to remember, cars are mechanical machines made up of thousands of moving parts. It's not always easy. Especially when noises only happen while driving and can't be reproduced in the shop.

Hello White94RX,

Thanks for getting back to me. We think the noise is coming from the rear of the car. We also think it’s coming from the driver side as well. They haven’t been able to tell me what’s making the noise. They thought it had to do with the emergency brake, and after they “chamfered the break pads, reassembled the rear brakes, relocated the rear break pad sensor and adjusted the hand brake,” they stated they weren’t able to hear it again when they test drove it that same day.

While I don’t agree that I “expect them to throw parts at the car”, I do expect that a new car shouldn’t be making this loud noise, and I do expect that after leaving a new car in the shop for over a month, they should be able to hear it if they were diligently test driving the car, or at the very least, they should try to schedule more test drives with me and the shop foreman or BMW engineer so that I can recreate the sound if they aren’t able to hear it themselves instead of just returning the car to me without any explanation, especially after 3 visits. I do understand your frustration on the other side and sympathize with the difficult position you can be in, but I think more communication would be beneficial to both sides involved. As the client, what more can I possibly do on my end besides recording videos and providing it to them, leave the car with them, answer all their questions, and come in for a test drive once they ask me to? It's a tough position to be in for all of us involved.

My Cars
    Sounds like you've done your part. I'd call BMW and open up a case with them. That will put a little heat on the dealership, as well as the local TSE (BMW's service rep for the area).
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician