Thread: ISTA+ on a linux OS

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i xdrive

ISTA+ on a linux OS

Hi, new member ! I have an f30 328i and I need to look at the transmission errors (if any exist_fingers crossed). I bought an ENET cable and downloaded an ISTA+ (a few versions earlier). Does anyone know if it will run on an a linux laptop without getting a windows VM? I have looked close to everywhere and cant find instructions on how to do it NOR instructions NOT to do it....Thanks if anyone can help!

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJackBlac View Post
    I have an f30 328i and I need to look at the transmission errors (if any exist_fingers crossed). I bought an ENET cable and downloaded an ISTA+ (a few versions earlier). Does anyone know if it will run on an a linux laptop without getting a windows VM? I have looked close to everywhere and cant find instructions on how to do it NOR instructions NOT to do it...
    The simple answer is no, it won't run on Linux. The minimum hardware requirements for ISTA/ISPI are both specific and quite large: IIRC, when i built my IPSI Next server clusters, it was Microsoft Windows 7, 8 or 10 on 64bit, 360GB of free C-drive space, 2.2GHz dual-core processor and 4GB of RAM. If you've got an Ethernet interface cable and you simply want to read any DTCs from the transmission ECU, the quickest and simplest way would be to install a virtual Windows machine, install BMW Group Standard Tools and use Tool Set to talk to the transmission ECU directly. I can teach you how to to that, if you want?