Thread: Power Steerung fluid, can someone help out what oil this is.

My Cars
    BMW E60 / E87

Power Steering fluid, can someone help out what oil this is.

I am planning to replace the power steering reservoir filter and flush the fluid of my M54 E60 from MY 2004. I am confused about the color in the reservoir at this moment. Im still confused if there's Pentosin CHF11S in there or ATF III.
    I know ATFIII is cherry red when new, I know pentosin CHR11S is flourish green when new.
    I own this car since 2008 and to be honest I've never changed the fluid and reservoir as BMW always mentioned it's maintanance free, which is BS.

So today I took a few samples and made lot's of pictures, I am wondering what it could be, this fluid for certain is in the car since I owned the car (11 years). The car only has been to official dealerships. Also the years before I owned it.
    So how would green CHF11S be like after 11 years, Could it be brown/redish like on my pictures.
    So how would cherry red ATFIII look like after 11 years, Im thinking in between from cherry red to black would not leave certain brown/greenish glows like I am having on the pics, but on the other hand it's also red fluid on the pics, it really depends on the lightning.

I know 99% sure pre LCI gets CHF11S, also when searching parts on BMWFANS for the reservoir it mentions CHF11S next to the partnumber, but somehow i'm affraid they might have pumped ATF in because of the red/brown on the pics, but not since i've had it.
    I know all the reservoirs have written ATF only on the cap, also I know the place a sticker on top of it for the ones with CHF11s, the sticker falls of easily after time passes. I dont have the CHF11S sticker on my reszervoir.
    Never seen old Pentosin, so maybe an expert could help me out, I made a load of pictures. I am still in doubt.
    Don't want to mess up my rack with the wrong fluid.

If i would suck out old fluid of the reservoir on top and put in new CHF11S and keep repeating this until I only have clean CHF11s left after few cycles, would I have the chance to mess up my rack because it could be that ATF and CHF11S have been mixed while doing so?
    Pics:
    https://imgur.com/a/38gpYGO
    Last edited by zino1976; 12-07-2019 at 12:48 PM.

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Here in the US, all e60's have Pentosen CHF11S as the hydraulic fluid for the power steering as well as cars fitted with active front steering and active stability control. The top of the reservoir will be marked with the proper fluid to use.

Here is a link to a Technical Information Service BMW document. Work your way through it and you will find the fluid requirements as well as the service procedure. Enter the last 7 of your vin number to ID your car within TIS.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

I'm the original owner of my05 m54 530i and I have changed the CHF11S along with the reservoir/with built in filter every 50k miles. The hydraulic fluid cooler has a quick disconnect below the radiator lower coolant hose on the right side of the engine bay. The splash shield below the engine must be removed to access the quick disconnect to drain the fluid. With the engine off, disconnect the quick disconnect and let all fluid drain out of the system and reservoir, then turn the steering wheel full left to right several times to force the remaining fluid out of the rack. Remove the reservoir and install the new unit. Reconnect the quick disconnect and fill the system and reservoir with fresh fluid. Start engine and purge rack by turning steering wheel several full left to right turns. With the time your old fluid was in the car, I would drain and purge rack out a second time with fresh fluid, then refill and do your final top off.

Gool luck and let us know how it goes.

My Cars
    BMW E60 / E87
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing View Post
    Here in the US, all e60's have Pentosen CHF11S as the hydraulic fluid for the power steering as well as cars fitted with active front steering and active stability control. The top of the reservoir will be marked with the proper fluid to use.

Here is a link to a Technical Information Service BMW document. Work your way through it and you will find the fluid requirements as well as the service procedure. Enter the last 7 of your vin number to ID your car within TIS.
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

I'm the original owner of my05 m54 530i and I have changed the CHF11S along with the reservoir/with built in filter every 50k miles. The hydraulic fluid cooler has a quick disconnect below the radiator lower coolant hose on the right side of the engine bay. The splash shield below the engine must be removed to access the quick disconnect to drain the fluid. With the engine off, disconnect the quick disconnect and let all fluid drain out of the system and reservoir, then turn the steering wheel full left to right several times to force the remaining fluid out of the rack. Remove the reservoir and install the new unit. Reconnect the quick disconnect and fill the system and reservoir with fresh fluid. Start engine and purge rack by turning steering wheel several full left to right turns. With the time your old fluid was in the car, I would drain and purge rack out a second time with fresh fluid, then refill and do your final top off.

Gool luck and let us know how it goes.
    Thanks, I think it's the same here in Europe. Only thing that confuses me is that it has this red glow, but then again, it has to be more then 11 years old by now.
    but I'm pretty sure now my fluid has not been mixed by accident in the past and the CHF just colors like this after so many years, i have 125000miles on the car, and yesterday I found a post from someone at https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9914846&postcount=2 who drained his 6 years old CHF with 60.000km and it has about the same color.
    But TIS just mentions to pay attention to your reservoir cap and which fluid is in your specific system, it not confirms if my VIN has CHF or ATF, but one of the two. The black reservoir caps have written ATF only on it. but the ones who use CHF11s, have a green sticker on top of that. that sticker just disappears over time so you end up having a cap that says ATF only. I think that's why a lot of corner workshops over here just might throw ATF in a CHF system and end up mixing two fluids.

Indeed, it wouldnt hurt to flush it a 2nd time, and I think I will do so after one or two weeks, and after that just make it a regular maintenance job frequently.

Here's one guy who flushes the system by fitting the new reservoir and by leaving the return hose in a catch bucket, topping up the reservoir and start/stopping the car real quickly so that the new oil gets sucked in and the old oil gets pumped into the catch bucket. What do you think about this method? Would that also work just as good as draining the system from below first and after that refilling system while it's empty?
    https://youtu.be/TxmN7L-ly54?list=WL&t=350
    Last edited by zino1976; 12-08-2019 at 04:19 AM.

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Quote Originally Posted by zino1976 View Post

Here's one guy who flushes the system by fitting the new reservoir and by leaving the return hose in a catch bucket, topping up the reservoir and start/stopping the car real quickly so that the new oil gets sucked in and the old oil gets pumped into the catch bucket. What do you think about this method? Would that also work just as good as draining the system from below first and after that refilling system while it's empty?
    https://youtu.be/TxmN7L-ly54?list=WL&t=350

The only problem I see with this method is the steering wheel has to be turned lock to lock with the engine running in order to purge/flush the rack. When the rack is not being moved, the fluid is circulating through the pump and returned to the reservoir. Considerable more fluid would be required to obtain the same percent of new fluid exchange. The second drain/flush ensures you are in fact obtaining near a 100 % exchange of fresh fluid, IMHO.

BMW has engineered excellent cars that are easy for a diy'er to work on, but BMW's marketing people would have us believe they are maintanse free with extended drains and lifetime fluids. Fluids and filters are cheap and engine, transmissions and other systems/parts are expensive. A little proactive preventive maintenance goes a long way with our cars.

My Cars
    BMW E60 / E87
    You are right, that is not the right way to do this. Especially since my fluid is in there for like forever. Need to do it right, will hire a box with elevator so I can raise the vehicle and drain it from the below and make sure the rack is also done right. It's still working and steering very good but still hoping to be surprised after all is done. Thanks in advance and will update when done.

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Work safely and good luck!

Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 12-08-2019 at 05:19 PM.