RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Head gasket broken protruding under oil filter housing weeping oil n51 engine

My Cars
    '07 328i, '11 128i vert

Head gasket broken protruding under oil filter housing weeping oil n51 engine

I had posted this over at the 128 forum but someone suggested sending it over to here for more traffic since it's the same engine.

2011 128 cute and perky convertible. 135,000 miles. Bought it used from a guy who offloads trade ins for a good deal last year. I have a 2007 328i with the same exact engine, 6 speed auto, so it seemed like a good match for my wife. Convertibles are fun! Happy wife, happy life.

But..it starting dripping oil. Now its about a quart of oil per 1000 miles, getting worse.

I already replaced the oil filter housing gasket myself. Verified the valve cover gasket isn't leaking oil. The oil is making a mess everywhere.

While I had the oil filter housing off, I see another gasket below it, protruding. It didn't look right, so I snapped a picture before I put the OFH back together. I figured it somehow wasn't causing problems, so..best to leave it. But now I am glad I have the photo.

Ready? This might be disturbing to some people..

full rez
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ore...ew?usp=sharing

IMG_3033 small 2.jpg">

I'm cleaning the engine and brushing on white flour around suspect parts, and looking at the results later that night. Nothing leaks at idle in my garage. It's not the valve cover gasket. It's not the oil filter cap o ring. It's not the oil filter housing gasket. But after a drive, it leaks oil. I have more pictures of the gasket from the rear looking forward, after the housing was put back together, before and after the white flour reveal, around that gasket.

So my current theory is that the oil channel directly under the oil filter housing is a lower pressure filtered oil returning to the engine, and at higher rpms more oil is dumping through that channel. It spills out past that protruding gasket, and along and blown up the engine block up to under the intakes.

And my hope is that in NJ under 150,000 miles this will be totally covered under SULEV.

Am I delusional? How to best frame it to a dealer rep?

[edit moderator I should have put this under the e90 forum -- delete if you want]
    Last edited by Hyperthrive; 12-06-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: wrong forum

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    That could be the oil pan gasket. If it is someone did a crappy job Of replacing it. The oil filter housing sits below the cylinder head, that gasket is fine.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "And my hope is that in NJ under 150,000 miles this will be totally covered under SULEV.

Am I delusional? How to best frame it to a dealer rep?"

Yes. You asked.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The head bolt is broken at the back of the picture under the first intake runner, the bolts are aluminum and this was a common problem some times they don't leak and sometimes they leak a lot, pull back the intake manifold and replace the bolt

My Cars
    '07 328i, '11 128i vert
    That was it. Thanks!