Thread: S50 Tuning Help

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

S50 Tuning Help

Hey guys, I've got a '95 M3 I'm bringing back to life. Currently in the process of doing all of the body work and taking care of any rust issues, then doing suspension upgrades afterwards. I'm in search of help with the tuning of the S50 engine. From what I've read on the forum, these engines can handle a lot more and are very de-tuned from the factory. My plan is to do an OEM rebuild on the engine (gaskets, bearings, seals, VANOS rebuild, maybe some machine work to deck the head, etc.), and I would like to tune it out as much as possible with a quality tune. If that means upgrading injectors or other things as well to accompany it, I'm fine with that. Not really looking to do upgraded cams or any serious engine internals. All advice and tips are much appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    99 M3

S50 Tuning Help

Look at Turners Stage Three kit for the E36 S50.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-11-2019 at 06:41 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think tuning evolves and that old Turner stage 3 shark injector tune probably has not been touched in 10 years. It’s not a bad choice but would not be my first choice today.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I think tuning evolves and that old Turner stage 3 shark injector tune probably has not been touched in 10 years. It’s not a bad choice but would not be my first choice today.
    S50 is typically OBDI, which is updated by swapping chips, no Shark ‘Injector’ here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Ok. But it’s still old tuning that probably has not been updated in a decade. Turner used Conforti mostly, who was very good, and also used Karl at AA, who was also good. But I don’t think the tuning was touched after Turner came out with those staged kits.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 12-11-2019 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3

S50 Tuning Help

I have heard that Confoti tunes for 1995M3 can run a little lean depending the octagon rating of premium fuel in your area of the country.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ckage/?pdk=AQ/

Our top-of-the-line engine upgrade for the 1995 M3 produces and additional 57 horsepower! An aFE Cold-Air Intake with larger European mass air sensor, Schrick camshafts, "24lb" fuel injectors, and a specially-calibrated performance chip deliver extraordinary output. Many people have tried to copy this kit but no one has perfected it like Turner Motorsport

Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-11-2019 at 06:42 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The M3R would have been based on the Euro M3, which used a different engine than the OP’s USA M3.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    OP,

You should look no further than 22RPD.com for your OBD1 tuning needs. He can do a chip for your specific build that will be very close to optimal and perform some refinements that will get you very close to perfect without much fuss. I've worked with Zack in the past for my built M50 3.0l build and he made the process effortless.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I've been in contact with Zack recently from 22RPD. Very nice guy, and he is in the process of putting something together for me. Very helpful with good advice and suggestions. Will keep an update as to how things go with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    OP,

You should look no further than 22RPD.com for your OBD1 tuning needs. He can do a chip for your specific build that will be very close to optimal and perform some refinements that will get you very close to perfect without much fuss. I've worked with Zack in the past for my built M50 3.0l build and he made the process effortless.