Thread: E39 Wagon Newcomer

My Cars
    2000 528i Wagon

E39 Wagon Newcomer

Ahoy all! Recently I came into possession of a 2000 528iT (with the Sport package!), and am slowly familiarizing myself with the community. I've posted one thread already, and got some great input from other members, so this has been a good place to start, so far!

Aside from this particular sub, is there anywhere else on the Forum as a whole that might pertain to my particular car? A lot of the subs I've seen prohibit FS posts, but I was curious as to whether or not there was anything more geared towards E39s specifically, or a fairly expedient way to narrow my searches. I dunno, just general tips, tricks, or heads-up, that kind of thing!

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by LowBeems; 12-16-2019 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Welcome. I take it you don’t like your regular paycheck... treat em well and these are such amazing cars. I take it you have a 540?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by LowBeems View Post
    Ahoy all! Recently I came into possession of a 2000 E39 Wagon (with the M Sport package!), and am slowly familiarizing myself with the community. I've posted one thread already, and got some great input from other members, so this has been a good place to start, so far!

Aside from this particular sub, is there anywhere else on the Forum as a whole that might pertain to my particular car? A lot of the subs I've seen prohibit FS posts, but I was curious as to whether or not there was anything more geared towards E39s specifically, or a fairly expedient way to narrow my searches. I dunno, just general tips, tricks, or heads-up, that kind of thing!

Thanks everyone!
    Welcome! Right out of the gate, I will tell you some members will get up in arms about you stating your car has the 'M Sport Package'. Technically it is the 'Sport Package' since the US only received the 'M Sport Package" with bumpers, revised suspension, anthracite headliner, and more for the 2003 540 cars. Your car more likely has standard front and rear bumpers but Shadowline trim for the rub strips and window trim along with a wheel that has an 'M' badge (this is what often confuses people), and 'M Suspension' according to the build sheet. Anyway, wanted to clear that up before someone decides to flame you.

I would start by reading the FAQs on the regular E39 sub-forum. Most of it will pertain to you except for the items from the B Pillar back. I would also recommend you start reviewing the trouble points (cooling system is a biggie) unless you have proof when it was last done. There is a lot that needs/can be done to these cars but you will have to build a list based on your wants and the condition of you car.

Given that you have the Sport Package, your car should be equipped with self leveling rear suspension. This system works pretty well, but at this age the air springs do start leaking.

Happy Hunting!
    Wade

My Cars
    2000 528i Wagon
    I'm sorry I never responded to this! I never got a notification that anyone replied =[

I will admit I seem to have an aversion to hanging on to my money =p, and I've been trying to look for some parts here and there, but outside of the shift knob, I haven't seen anything unreasonably priced for a car like this I guess. However, I'm quite new to it all, so I suppose there's always room for a good blindside.

As for my car, it's a 2000 528iT with a sport package. There's a guy who replied here saying not to call it an "M Sport Package", so in an effort to keep in line with terminology, I'll just say I've got a lot of "M" interior parts and such. It's a fun a car, and hopefully I can do right by it.

Thanks again for your response!

My Cars
    2000 528i Wagon
    Much obliged, Aubergine! I appreciate the insight, definitely don't want to set anyone off. I've been perusing a few things here and there as I become more familiar with navigating the Forum, and boy is there plenty to see! I'll be kind of picking things up as I go, so as not to inundate myself with a lot of misc or otherwise currently inapplicable information, but knowing where to find what I need is super handy.

You're definitely right about the cooling system, it's got a leak, but came with a new hose (I hope that the hose is all it needs!) so I'll get that replaced when I have a dry spot to work from. I don't really plan to do anything really custom, I like the OEM look, and with the 6 cylinder motor, it's got a more-than-satisfactory amount of get-up. I'll also review any maintenance records again, and see if the air springs were serviced/replaced at all. This car was a gift from my FIL, and he's usually fairly savvy about what's worth the money he's willing to spend, but he's also really DIY about maintenance and repairs, so he'll buy cars with what he considers small or acceptable issues with the intention of repairing them. He hasn't made mention of the springs, so I'll go over that with him and make sure that base is covered.

Thanks again for your input! I apologize for the late response, I was never notified I got any replies =\

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by LowBeems View Post
    Much obliged, Aubergine! I appreciate the insight, definitely don't want to set anyone off. I've been perusing a few things here and there as I become more familiar with navigating the Forum, and boy is there plenty to see! I'll be kind of picking things up as I go, so as not to inundate myself with a lot of misc or otherwise currently inapplicable information, but knowing where to find what I need is super handy.

You're definitely right about the cooling system, it's got a leak, but came with a new hose (I hope that the hose is all it needs!) so I'll get that replaced when I have a dry spot to work from. I don't really plan to do anything really custom, I like the OEM look, and with the 6 cylinder motor, it's got a more-than-satisfactory amount of get-up. I'll also review any maintenance records again, and see if the air springs were serviced/replaced at all. This car was a gift from my FIL, and he's usually fairly savvy about what's worth the money he's willing to spend, but he's also really DIY about maintenance and repairs, so he'll buy cars with what he considers small or acceptable issues with the intention of repairing them. He hasn't made mention of the springs, so I'll go over that with him and make sure that base is covered.

Thanks again for your input! I apologize for the late response, I was never notified I got any replies =\
    No worries at all! We get on the forums when we each can.

Sounds like a solid car and read up about bleeding the cooling system when you do the hose. There is an easy way to do it using the aux electric water pump and you don't risk overheating the car. Make sure you use blue coolant as well.
    Wade

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Welcome to the E39 Touring family? Lots of knowledge here especially in the DIY articles as many people have experienced all the items you will encounter.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green