Thread: Silly Question about Idle

My Cars
    98 M Roadster

Silly Question about Idle

Hello, 98 M Roadster. It is my toy/ summer car. I don’t drive it during salt season so it stays in the garage on a battery tender.

Curious what’s everyone’s thoughts about starting it once a week and letting it idle in place to get juices flowing. I used to do this with my old Miata. BUT I think I remember reading in the manual it said something along the lines of “once you start it just drive” to get temps up. What do you guys do or think? Depending on salt conditions it’s not uncommon for my toy to sit for 3 months. If the salt clears I’ll take it out no matter the temps.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It's always best to drive it it burns off the condensation that is in the crank case and exhaust system and the tires will less likely to flat spot, plus run other systems like a/c, keeps the oil circulated. Interesting thing about cars that are stored and not started a lot is the main and rod bearings will show more wear because of the lack of starts. Because when started the oil pressure is building up the bearings are waiting for the oil, that's why the bearings are build out of multiple. layers of relatively soft metal to protect the rod and main journals of the crankshaft. Some people will install preoiler run by an electric pump to build up oil pressure before start up

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    ^^^ That's why the BMW owners manual says to start the car and drive immediately.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Good Stuff. Thanks guys. So it sounds like I’m better letting it sit versus idling it. Past couple years have been horrid in this sue happy state NJ. Better off raising taxes to pay for the inch of salt on all roads than deal with a law suit. MY car spent its whole life in Texas, I want to keep it that way you know.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    During your last gas fill up before hibernation, add a bottle of Stabil or similar and drive her to her den. Gets the treatment through out the system. You want to be able to get in and go come spring - not have to deal with contaminated fuel issues.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    DAVEN. .....funny you suggested that. I always thought about that but for as many suggested it there’s the same amount of people who are firmly against it

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    If you regularly use Top Tier gas, you may be able to get away without it. But since the powers that be have mandated that ethanol be a significant ingredient in our fuel, I wouldn't store my car for the winter (I used to before I moved south) without it. Its not going to do any damage and $10 a year is cheaper than to repair the damage than could be caused. Obviously, YMMV and it is your car and your wallet. At least go out to the garage, talk to her and pet her once in awhile.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I once stored a '62 Buick for 10 years. No tender, not Stabil, no draining the float bowl--nothing--just parked and sat. Came back after 10 years, pulled the cover off, put a charged battery in it, dribbled a little fresh gas down the throat of the carb, turned the key and it started right up. I had to top off the tires, but it drove out of storage just the same as it drove in. 445 Wildcat. Nowadays I use stabil in my last tank of the season and drive it for a half hour or so to get it through the entire system, put it on a floating tender, and inflate the tires to 45 lbs. It ain't a Buick.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Interesting stuff. Thanks guys. Hah DAVEN..my wife pokes fun at me because she said I remind her of that episode of “my strange addiction” the one where the guy is in a relationship with his Monte Carlo. She’s caught me talking to it before.