Thread: Trunk lid has a minnd of its own

My Cars
    2007 z4

Trunk lid has a minnd of its own

Hi Everyone;
    Just bought this bmw. I took it up north and it froze and got 6 inches of snow on it. The next day i tried to put down the top and it wouldnt go down. Just started an moved a half inch and stopped. Then the trunk lid started to unlock it self I closed it and it locked and then about 10 seconds later it unlocked it self. Does it all of the time. Mike

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    1st, the trunk

You might have a bad key. If you have two sets of keys, take the key you were using when the trunk unlocked by itself and move it away from the car and only use the other key. I'm hoping if you change keys (if you have two) that using the other key will cure your trunk problem.

top issues

Hope this cleared up by itself. If not, repost with info on the light color below the buttom used to lower the top. Also, when top releases from windshield then moves an inch; can you still hear an electric motor running or is there no sound? The best way to test this is with the car motor off.....so you can hear if the top motor is running or not.

My Cars
    2007 z4
    Top light just flashes red. Trunk opens just when I close it with my hand key has nothing to do with it. I closethe lid and it locks and10 seconds later it opens the trunk. Thanks for your time.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check the wiring coming into the trunk lit it can fray and break.

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    You said you just bought the car. Did the top ever work after you bought it? If this was the first time you were trying to lower the top, it could be that you simply have a bad top motor. The symptoms you describe fit this: The windshield latches unhook (separate motor) then nothing else happens.

As for the trunk, there are three ways to unlock it. You can use the key in the lock the old-fashioned way, you can hit the button on the key or you can press the button on the driver's kick panel. Could it be that one of the latter two buttons are stuck and making unintentional contact? If that is not the case, you should get (or get access to) a BMW-specific code reader to see if any one of the body computers are throwing a code.

My Cars
    1993 Z4 2.5i
    Just a thought. Check your inside trunk emergency release-the hi-viz handle. It might look like it should go thru a guide, but it should not. It should hang free when the lid is open, otherwise it might cause the lid to unlock w/o you doing anything. You can guess how I know this.